Auto in flower with issues.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm hoping someone here can help point me in the right direction.

I have 4 plants.
2 autos- Heavy Purple, and Pineapple Express(the one pictured)
2 Girl Scout Cookies

All of them have the same symptoms, and I have been racking my brain to figure out what it is. I see no bugs under the leaves, even with a scope.

The autos have been getting PH'd around 6.5, the GSC usually around 6.2(seems like I have more issues at 6.5)

My heavy purple got so bad that I pretty much had to remove ALL fan leaves. Somehow the buds still look swollen and good, but I'd like to avoid it getting that bad with the others.

Nute strength has been fairly weak, because they all seem to burn easy. (Autos a touch under quarter strength, GSC around half)

Soil- FFOF mixed with Happy Frog 1/2 1/2

Bud pic is Heavy Purple. The other 2 is Pineapple Express. I'll get a pic of GSC

Attachments

• 20190615_132854.jpg
    20190615_132854.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 119
  • 20190615_132904.jpg
    20190615_132904.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 20190615_133424.jpg
    20190615_133424.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 109
Do the roots stay wet? Sometimes if they do not dry out between waterings the leaves can do weird things.

I dont believe so. I usually stick my fingers down in the soil and feel, and I do the weight test. I think it'd be more believable to say I underwater! Lol. I'd like to think I dont though.

I put my fingers on the bottom of my fabric pots to see if they are dry before I water.
If your plants burn easily with nutes, it may be your nutes…

Cannabis has been hybridized so much over the last couple thousand years that it takes special care to grow. Kinda like orchids.
Cannabis friendly nutes can prevent many problems. Your plants may have a phosphorus deficiency perhaps.
Over the last 40 years I have had just about every growing problem you could think of. I am not an expert, just a hobby grower.
The experts here may have other suggestions.

Welcome to MP. It is great that you have joined us!
I wish you all the best with this grow.

I use smart pots too. So, feel the bottom of the fabric? I usually grab the handle, and hold on bottom. I dont think I notice wetness, unless it was just watered.

Could be the nutes, I suppose. I'm using fox farms nutes. Now that I think about it. They are pretty damn old. It's all from a setup I had a few years back. Just started up again. I noticed my ph up lowers my ph, and my ph down raises it. That's kinda weird lol.

I have had plants that look like yours, my problem was that when I watered I would water the surface good but didn't allow runoff.
This "poisons" the soil with nute build up when the soil drys out leaving behind unused nutes.

If this is what you do and plants look good until late in the grow, flush the pots good with plain water.
Might be the problem, "I Believe" or maybe I'm just "Surfin with the Alien"

How old are your Autos? How "alive" is your soil? clarify: I use Miracle Grow pretty much right out of the bag, and sometimes mix in a little older potting soil (not much) to add bulk. Soils that contain sufficient mitochondria(soil organisms that allow the roots to uptake nutrients) are important for good nutrient uptake and growth. Ed Rosenthal recommends tepid water between 65 - 75 Deg F when watering to avoid "shocking" the roots. pg 154 Ed Rosenthal's Marijuana Growers Handbook. Accordingly, Ed recommends for soil water with a pH of 5.8 - 6.5

I think it is a nutrient deficiency--caused either by the fact you are feeding so lightly or that your pH is a bit high. I think it looks like maybe a potassium deficiency. What exactly are you feeding them?

I have had plants that look like yours, my problem was that when I watered I would water the surface good but didn't allow runoff.
This "poisons" the soil with nute build up when the soil drys out leaving behind unused nutes.

If this is what you do and plants look good until late in the grow, flush the pots good with plain water.
Might be the problem, "I Believe" or maybe I'm just "Surfin with the Alien"

I see what you did there. They're growing at "Unstoppable Momentum", but they're still ugly! Ha.

That could be the issue. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that 1 gallon isnt enough in 3 gallon pots? I do water slow, but I'm not fully sure.

How old are your Autos? How "alive" is your soil? clarify: I use Miracle Grow pretty much right out of the bag, and sometimes mix in a little older potting soil (not much) to add bulk. Soils that contain sufficient mitochondria(soil organisms that allow the roots to uptake nutrients) are important for good nutrient uptake and growth. Ed Rosenthal recommends tepid water between 65 - 75 Deg F when watering to avoid "shocking" the roots. pg 154 Ed Rosenthal's Marijuana Growers Handbook. Accordingly, Ed recommends for soil water with a pH of 5.8 - 6.5

My ocean forest is new, or was when I planted. My happy frog was a few months old though. I shouldve done better record keeping, but I didnt. I'm not too sure how old they are. One(heavy purple) is real close to ready for harvest. Milky trichs, very very little amber. The pineapple is about a month and a half in(I think), maybe more, maybe less.

And 5.8-6.5? Good to know. I thought it was something like 6.2-6.8

I would also like to add that I grew Heavy Purple my last round. I had 0 issues, and it was really good. Heavy heavy amounts of trichomes. I had a white widow auto that was nothing but trouble the whole way through, but that one gave me absolutely no trouble. So I was shocked this time, when it was a never ending battle.

I tried using neem oil, incase I was just not seeing fungus gnats, because I know FF il soil is notorious for that issue.

Last edited:
I think it is a nutrient deficiency--caused either by the fact you are feeding so lightly or that your pH is a bit high. I think it looks like maybe a potassium deficiency. What exactly are you feeding them?
Fox Farms Big Bloom is what I am feeding. I'll do some playing around with it all, try doing heavier waterings too. Surely one or all of you are right on the money! :)

I've been adding cal/mag because I thought that was the issue. It hasnt helped any.

Also, sorry for the late reply. My power/internet was out for over 24 hrs thanks to the weather. Hopefully that doesnt add extra strain, because they were definitely in the dark for a while.

First- please quit just doing things because it "could be" the problem. For instance, quit with the neem oil (there is some evidence that neem oil is the cause of that cannabis syndrome that some people get).

Big Bloom is not really meant to be a stand alone nutrient. It is more a supplement--look at the N-P-K on the bottle--0.01% nitrogen, 0.3% phosphorus, 0.7% potassium. It has almost NO nutrients in it. I think it is safe to say that your plant is starving if that is all you have been feeding it.

Oh! No kidding. Good to know. I'll be visiting my local hydroponics store tomorrow morning then. What would you recommend?

And what is this cannabis syndrome you are referring to?

I see. Tiger Bloom is what I shouldve been using. No wonder I had bad results last grow. Luckily, the heavy purple auto looks like it's still gonna give over an oz, like it did last time.

The question is, what strength should I give? Since its (shamefully) been getting quarter strength feedings of big bloom? I'll need to water tomorrow.

You can start out with something like 1/2 strength and see how it likes it and work up from there. You can also keep using the Big Bloom with the Tiger Bloom. Tiger Bloom, Big Bloom, and Grow Big are often sold as a trio to be used in conjunction with each other. The Grow Big being the vegging food, Tiger Bloom the flowering food and Big Bloom an additive used the entire cycle.

You can start out with something like 1/2 strength and see how it likes it and work up from there. You can also keep using the Big Bloom with the Tiger Bloom. Tiger Bloom, Big Bloom, and Grow Big are often sold as a trio to be used in conjunction with each other. The Grow Big being the vegging food, Tiger Bloom the flowering food and Big Bloom an additive used the entire cycle.

Okay thank you very much for the replies and the wisdom. I ended up getting flora bloom from general hydro, instead. My shop wanted 24 bucks for tiger bloom, and 12 for florabloom. To play it safe, I'll just avoid using the bigbloom.

The sad thing is, I knew that when I bought it, but I checked out with the wrong one in my Amazon cart, I guess. I never second guessed it.

Again, thank you!

Latest posts

Back