Autos as strong as indicas?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YYZ Skinhead

RIP Neil Peart 9/12/1952 -- 1/7/2020
Reaction score
There are a lot of auto strains that are (I think) indicas with ruderalis genes. Do they produce as heavy a body stone as the indicas? Of course I am referring to Purple Kush CBD.

No--honestly, I have never had an auto that I was impressed with in the least. Autos are a cross of cannabis ruderalis with either cannabis sativa or cannabis indica. Asking if an auto is as strong as a photoperiod plant, is, in my mind, like asking if a screwdriver is as strong as a glass of straight vodka. The answer is no. You have watered down the genetics. Half of the plant is ditch weed. I have a lot of distain for autos. I think it is a crime to take a plant like cannabis sativa or cannabis indica and cross it with ditch weed simply to make it easier for lazy people to grow. Sorry, but it is hard for me to hide my dislike for autos.

I am SO glad that you posted this before I went and bought $80 worth of ruderalis hybrid seeds. :rolleyes: I was thinking what you posted but I needed to ask the experts. I have had zero experience with autos, I have never smoked them (never mind grown them) but I can't see how a ruderalis hybrid could be as strong as an indica. It was a stupid thing to ask, I suppose. :mad:

Autos are very very niche. They have a place in the world, and that is a place of desperation. When one finds oneself in a super short outdoor growing season, or a grow space with zero chance of eliminating light leaks for whatever reason, but you really have to pull off a crop by hook or by crook... well, there ya go.
If you CAN create an environment for photo period strains... those are your winners. And as a bonus, you can clone your favoritest plant ever and keep mom going to give predictable, identical clones and save 2-3 months per cycle of fudging around with seedplants!

I have grown autos exactly once and that was because I needed weed fast and they were done in no time. However, my return on 6 plants was less then one of my large photos. As far as the buzz goes, the cannabis we smoke today is so strong even so-so smoke will kick your butt, even when it is mixed with rudy. Like it or not, autos are here to stay and there are a ton of breeders producing them. Just about the only part of the rudy gene that is still in the seeds by the time you actually buy 'em is the autoflowering trait. Their life cycle is so short though they just can't produce enough for a serious grow.

It is impossible for an AF plant to have as much potency as a photoperiod marijuana plant. That 0% ruderalis that is crossed with indica or sativa cuts the THC potency every time. AF planting is for impatient growers that do not know how to respond to possible plant deficiencies.

Yeah I agree with all of the above but I believe there is a place for them.just to know you can put some outside most any time of the growing season and get some good mid.but I'd never waste my inside space on autos.

Yeah I agree with all of the above but I believe there is a place for them.just to know you can put some outside most any time of the growing season and get some good mid.but I'd never waste my inside space on autos.

I'm fairly patient but sometimes I think about trying autos. But I'd need advice on exactly which strains to go after, I need potency for pain and sleep.

I have never bought autos, but get the seeds as freebies with a photo period seed order. Autos just do not have the potency of photo period seeds that I like. I guess that after 52 years of being an every day toker I'm spoiled. If I'm growing something that takes about 4 months to mature, I want something worth my time and expense to grow it. It costs the same to grow a low thc plant as it does a high thc plant. It's a no brainer. IMO.

Auto, Mr Magoo, 24" & 22".
IMG_1255.JPG
IMG_1256.JPG
IMG_1257.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been tempted to try an Auto a time or two. I agree. I want big plants and big yields for my time and effort. I have the space and time right now.
Thank you for sharing these pics Aladdin. Great job with your plants. :)

Got the autos as freebies. At least they gave me something to smoke. My Apollo 13 seeds turned out to be 8 of 9 were males.

Just to set the record straight,I was very skeptical of autos when they were first introduced.They have come a long way from those early days.I have three grows from autos and if I never said auto,you would never know it.Taste,smell,look and buzz are almost identical to photo period plants.Don't knock em till you try em

i've grown a few auto's, mixed in with my regular grow. i've had some that knocked my socks off and some that wasn't worth the time it took to harvest. for some people it is a very good plant for them to grow, and if they like it then that is still a good thing.
personally i prefer to veg, clone and flower my photo period plants. better harvest, and i can keep running the same plant over and over due to cloning.

There are a lot of auto strains that are (I think) indicas with ruderalis genes. Do they produce as heavy a body stone as the indicas? Of course I am referring to Purple Kush CBD.
Overall no, but some are stronger than some strains but at the end of the day the most potent plants will be photoperiod. But, people are getting 21-25% THC content from high quality autoflowers....Mephisto especially and Rocbud Inc have some absolute power house autoflowers...

Latest posts

Back