Auto's Done Carty's Way

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carty

Check out my big Black Oger
Bud of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Auto Flowering... many folks give this a shot and walk away, why, because grow #1 was unsuccessful. You see, Autos really and truly are a different animal and thus have to be treated so.

Stunting is the biggest issue and IMHO #1 reason why this wonderful auto flowering style of MJ is talked down by so many with bad experiences. It's easy to do.

My journey began after a 4yr hiatus and deciding to get back into my hobby. smaller spaces dictated changes like small tents and more stealth. Hmmm? I was gifted a bunch of seeds that got crushed, the only 3 that made it was 3 Sour60 seeds I got 2 females and a male, made more seeds. thus the journey begins.

Since the F2 seeds I made were not feminized, I needed to start 12 to find 5 or 6 females hopefully. so starting 12 pots in 2 or 3gal felt is a LOT of soil and I cannot afford it and don't have room for
12 larger pots. so, this is where I decided to break my first rule I read about. "They" say to NOT transplant autos. given no choice I started mine in 1gal plastic nursery pots. you know, the el cheapos.

Here is my method after 8yrs or so of growing Autos..

My #1 DON'T rule... Starting in Solo Cups. IMO has something to do with the tap root being restricted early on. A photo period can outgrow this initial stunting as it stays in veg mode longer and can overcome. NOT an auto. plant will finish usually at about a foot or so. want bigger autos. Try my method..

Germinate seeds to the point 2" tails are exposed.. this keeps you from planting upside down on accident causing possible losses, been there, done that.
>>>> How I do it: Soak in good water overnight, give a stir, if seeds sink ready for step 2. place in damp paper towel, not wet.. inside baggie and I go into an oven mit.. dark, warm.
2 days later check on them. if short tails barely popping, one more day might do it. every strain is different.

Starting regular autos..
1. Start with 1gal plastic pots.. why you ask? plastic pots allow the larger roots to form early that establishes the plants foothold, just like in nature. you want a nice root ball to form during this first 3wks in the small pot. 3 wks because most autos have shown sex by now and you know which ones to up pot, which ones to cull..
2. Introduce your Mykos here at up pot. many brands out there so not gonna recommend any, but a sprinkle of this in the hole before dropping the plant into the new pot, omg do the roots just go mad. healthy plants.
3. Up pot to: 2 or 3 gal felt pot. why felt? at this point is where you need your feeder roots to start. As she gets established in her new home and her larger roots hit the pots edge, they get air pruned thus causing feeder roots to form all along the roots mass. up taking nutrients and water.
Watch these girls blow up a week or so after up potting and stretching their legs a bit. IMHO Autos love to be up potted if done correctly. stay away from grow bags please, try finding
some Orchid pots like I use. they have more drain holes then the average pot..

Starting feminized autos..
Doesn't get much easier then this.. start them in 2gal felt pots, start to finish.. why 2gal. Autos only live about 2 1/2 months, and what I've discovered is most will not fill out a 3gal root ball.. my exception would be a long flowering auto like 80 to 90 days Sativa dom. not saying I'd not use a 3gal pot, but think I'd start THOSE in 1gal pots first. control moisture better in beginning. but my rule for starting feminized autos is, 2gal felt pots.
Hint: Look for taller pots.. most 2gal are 8.5" tall, but some are 10" tall and I prefer these.. big reason is up potting, gives me almost a full gallon of dirt under and room to grow...

Feeding: People, do not feed until end of week 1 for your 1st feeding, not day 1. you will burn them and stunt them. I sometimes go 2wks if my plants look healthy and are growing strong. but if you want to stay on a schedule of week 1-10. start end of week 1, end of week 2 and so on.
Feed, water, water.... Feed, water, water. Remember, your soil also dictates your feeding and the amount you feed them. try staying at 50%. just might get healthier plants.

Flushing: I give them a light flushing right before up potting to assure I'm converting feeding over properly to flower. not a full on flush but more of an over watering with extra drainage clearing it up a bit.

Soil: No Foxfarm Ocean Forrest straight.. it WILL burn your plants. any kind of mistreatment early on will result in stunted autos.. when autos can get up to 4ft at times.. I've tried them all and here is what I find works best.
Roots Organics basic green mix... (not 707, it's for outdoor). this stuff is like magic, but does require a lot of breaking down by hand or a grinder.. huge chunks of guanos..
Foxfarm's Strawberry Fields .. this mix is heavy in perlite and is a mushroom compost, keep medium to moist and toadstools will form...
Foxfarm's Bushmasters Coco Loco ... a heavier mix for sure, needs more perlite IMO.

My best soil ever: Mix Roots Organics, after breaking down, with Strawberry Fields 50/50. I did a grow with this mix and only had to add calmag and a PK booster to achieve awesome
plants..

I have a goal of helping people discover autos and not walk away disappointed. I see so many doing things that cause stunting and thus small yields, then compare to a photo period grow, not fair really.. photos are dictated by how long you veg.. autos decide this on their own.. why I try to find strains that take 3wks and not 10 days.. the faster it shows sex, the smaller that plant/strain is going to be. Look for Sativa mixes that still finish in 75 days or so..

I'm here to help anyone who has questions.. starting 5 new seeds tonight, soaking in water..
4 - Beserker Autos - Forgotten Cookies III x Grape Dosi Breath by Beserker7205

1 - Blue Vangoo - Kush Van Stitch x (W.C. OG x Cash Crop Auto female) x (Sour60 x Blue Streak F3). By Carty 2008..

I have a thread going called Autos...back at it. you can watch along and see how my grows progress, but I'll also be showing updates here of the 2 above strains so we can do a tutorial, answer questions and teach.. feel free to ask me anything about autos.. if I don't know the answer I'll research it until I'm sure I have it right and post it up ok...

Autos Rule

Such a good read for me this morning. Thanks for taking the time to wack it out in the keyboard. I’m a new grower first grow chose feminized seeds with great outcome 2nd grow was clones from the first grow. They are in the tent flowering now about week 5. I didn’t like the clones as much as the plants are not as pretty to me like the leaves are smaller but I’m hoping the buds are needing up and I will have another successful grow. My third grow is started seedlings to a bit older juveniles added two extra strains giving me more choices but also all feminized. While shopping for my next strain I got to choose some free seeds and opted for the autos this time just to have them in my toolbox. I will refer to all your tips on growing when I start to grow them. Looking forward to your updates in the autos 😎

Good thread brother.
I start out in small plastic pots the size of a big cup and go straight into 3gallon fabric pots.
Your Gabagoo loved it. Now I got two more of your Gabagoos going. One is in a 3 gallon pot and the other is getting ready to go into a 3 gallon pot.
Had two Zkittles going but lost one to a god damn bird. I seen the fker on my table but they normally don't do that.
Anyway the zkittles Auto will be going into a 3gallon fabric pot today too.
Yehaaaaaaaaaaa 🤠

I'd like to pick your brain if you got the time.

I seen on your ...back at it thread that you did some LST. Do you just bend for a short while to promote side growth then untie and let it do it's thing or leave it tied down?

Good thread brother.
I start out in small plastic pots the size of a big cup and go straight into 3gallon fabric pots.

I think this may work for you bro because you only leave them in for a few days to a week where others attempt to
do a veg cycle in solo cups. Still.. start your Gabagoo or next auto in a 1gal plastic nursery pot until it shows sex, then up pot, your auto will get twice as big I swear..

I'd like to pick your brain if you got the time.

I seen on your ...back at it thread that you did some LST. Do you just bend for a short while to promote side growth then untie and let it do it's thing or leave it tied down?

You can actually leave it tied down, the tied down branch will begin to grow vertical again and as the others take off you should end up with a fairly even canopy. this type of LST is very popular in the Auto world. can be strain dependant as some just like to grow big main colas.. so get to know the strain.

I seen people to this type of tie over at week old.. lol. feel free to show photos here so I can help you best way possible.. this thread is about sharing with each other so we can all learn..

My next batch is now in paper towels, inside baggies, inside oven mit... yeah, oven mit. KISS people.

Here is my current autos at a month old on the big girl, 3wks on the others in bloom and just over 2wks on the little bush right front..
4 Autos.jpg

Growing 3 different strains is not ideal.. all need different foods it seems, some drink faster... I'd have to say I'm
learning in small tents your best off 1 at a time. but there's soooo many strains.. LOL

You can actually leave it tied down, the tied down branch will begin to grow vertical again and as the others take off you should end up with a fairly even canopy. this type of LST is very popular in the Auto world. can be strain dependant as some just like to grow big main colas.. so get to know the strain.

I seen people to this type of tie over at week old.. lol. feel free to show photos here so I can help you best way possible.. this thread is about sharing with each other so we can all learn..
Thank you. I've never grown autos, but I just put in an order yesterday for some Zkittlez fem autos. After seeing your results, I'm wanting to give them a try.

Thank you. I've never grown autos, but I just put in an order yesterday for some Zkittlez fem autos. After seeing your results, I'm wanting to give them a try.
You'll like the Zkittles. Grew it last year. She got to about 2 1/2ft and purple highlights.
Look thru my auto thread.. luck

Monday, well today..lol
Later on we'll walk thru planting and I'll show you a few tricks to insure a successful planting and getting them above ground, green and happy..

Tonight I've cleaned my pots and ran them thru the dishwasher..
Prepped my 5 tags and look forward to sharing this step by step.. night

So, lets get this ball a rollin eh?

First, lets take a look at what pots I use to start autos and why..

1gal Orchid pots. Orchids are a plant that air roots, needs almost no soil and can be grown in wood chips.. what the roots really need is air flow. after researching this I invested in a 10pk of these.

tute e.jpgtute d.jpgtute b.jpg

Drain holes up the sides, really need to clean all this out in between uses as it gets calcium build up and blocks drainage. I hand scrub mine, then a quick run thru dishwasher... sshhhh, don't tell Ladybug. lol.

Step 1. Fill pot halfway with soil. I'm using Bush Doctor Coco Loco I had left
why halfway you ask right? when planting seeds, if you don't do this, when you water, the soil will settle and compact and done incorrectly in planting process, take the seed with it.. I do this to settle the soil, a tip I learned a
few years ago watching a you tube grower.
tute f.jpgtute g.jpg

Step 2. Water in again until you get just slight runoff. now soil is wet thru and thru, will not settle anymore...
NOTE: NEVER press on the soil, allow it to settle naturally to it doesn't get to compacted..
tute j.jpg

Step 3. Making the hold for the seed. I prefer to use something like this, sticky trap holder. It's naturally shaped
to do the job and is easy to measure my depth.
I prefer to lie the seedling down on its side, and slowly push it into the hole so I don't handle it with my fingers causing damage possibly to the tiny hair roots already forming..
when you wait for the tails to get this long, plant them so the top of the seeds shell is even with the soil like so..
tute k.jpgtute l.jpgtute m.jpg

Continued:

Notice how I didn't fill the pot to the tippy top. again, why right?

Seedlings have a tendency to stretch a bit at times.. I like to leave myself a few inches of room to add soil later on to help support a stretchy little baby. something you just learn with time.
tute o.jpg

Seedlings: Most cooperate, but, I'm gonna show you why you germinate them to 2" tails when your really
wanting to assure success.

Because some do this:
tute n.jpg

Can you see why planting this seedling without a proper germination could cause for a loss.. it's circling the roots looking for moisture instead of going downward as most will do.
Here you have 3 of the 4 Berserker Autos starting out fairly normal, then you see one that is just lost... hahaha
tute h.jpg
tute h.jpg

My Blue Vangoo is looking great.
tute i.jpg

These little babies are now in the small tent as I get back to concentrating my energies on autos.

Last edited:
Feeding... on this very 1st watering in I used only Superthrive at 1/8tsp per gallon and 10 drops of Vitalize..

Babies have foods stored within themselves to assure they get started. autos especially do not like being fed early.
I wait until the end of week 1 to start week 1 feeding, and then it's at half strength max I mean. why waste good $$
buying good soil only to think you need to add more foods to it to get your plants to grow healthy and strong.

wrong: Learn to read the plants, I tend to give mine light doses of N along with vitamins and foods with very low NPK values like my favorite food product by Roots Organics called: Extreme Serene in conjunction with their Surge.. these 2 could feed a plant all the way thru veg IMHO. but the ES has such a low NPK I feel it safe to use early on..

End of week 2 is when I usually do my first full on feeding using my Mills Nutrients, hey, they were donated... lol.
finally getting used to these foods and how little it takes..

stay tuned for next weeks update, meanwhile, I'll check in daily and answer any questions you guys have....

ALWAYS use 1gal plastic pots when starting autos... fem's, I start in 2gal felt pots where they stay... but even now with fems, I'm starting them all in 1gal pots.. it allows larger roots to form during this first 3wks..

Awesome write up bro , you sure can do Auto's it betr than me

got some more things for you soon ...betr yet

Getr Done

Peace GT

Hey dude... I've made some new Autos if you want to run a few this year. stuff is incredible, Gambian F7 x Neville's Haze F3. kept seeds from 3 favorite phenos'.. can send you my last 10pk to share. then putting them aside for a bit to concentrate on Berserk Autos for a bit ..

And, a big thank you sir, coming from an experience bro like yourself... wow.

Berserker7205 makes some nice gear, thinking the issues on my very first grow were my fault. because these are popping very fast. nice. Berserker Autos use some stellar genetics, check em out..

Born over night, B1 and B2 is starting to crack it's shell.. amazing.

Born 4 13 forgotten cookies III x GDB.jpg

Almost pushing it's shell off is #2..
FCIII x GDB 2.jpg

Getting ready to replace my soil.. was wondering if you people had any input as to which of these soils you would like to see me use. Keep in mind. it's taken me almost 20yrs to try almost ALL of them, from pure coco to huge bales of promix...

1.. Roots Organics basic
2.. Roots Organics Green Lite
3.. Foxfarm's Strawberry Fields
4.. Foxfarm's Coco Loco
5.. Happy Frog if nothing else is avail.

These are the only ones I will consider... been known to mix #1 & #3 as a favorite mix.

#1 has the guanos and earth worm castings these plants love, needs breaking down by hand or grinder though to avoid hot spots.. great soil, have done complete grows with only adding calmag and a pk booster at week 6.

#3 is loaded with perlite and is very loamy, great soil for starting your seeds in as the tiny hairs can move around easier allowing roots to build up fast.

Mix: Best of both worlds mixing the 2. The absolute best mixture I've ever used...

Tips: Remember my tip earlier, fill your pots halfway up and water that in so your soil compacts naturally, one of
the best tips I ever learned that has saved me so many headaches starting seeds. you don't do this, first time you water you have a great chance of the seedling sinking as the medium settles down down down...

finish filling pot, water in again but don't soak it, slight runoff is perfect.

Starting in a 1gal plastic pot, even if just a cheap nursery pot for .50 is better, I used to use them all the time.

luck

I wanted to show you what can be done in 55 days growing Auto's the right way... took these a little early because I had seeded them and seeds were ready.. I give my seeds 6wks on plant to mature.

Gmzn d.jpg

Gmzn c.jpg

Gmzn b.jpg

Gamhazn nug.jpg

We'll cover pre-flower pollen work much later in this thread.. for now, let's learn the basics and get everyone growing much bigger autos..

Tips: Remember my tip earlier, fill your pots halfway up and water that in so your soil compacts naturally, one of
the best tips I ever learned that has saved me so many headaches starting seeds. you don't do this, first time you water you have a great chance of the seedling sinking as the medium settles down down down...
Absolutely the truth. I have had to remove soil exactly for that reason to allow my babies to reach the top because they had sunk while watering to keep them moist.

Getting ready to replace my soil.. was wondering if you people had any input as to which of these soils you would like to see me use. Keep in mind. it's taken me almost 20yrs to try almost ALL of them, from pure coco to huge bales of promix...

1.. Roots Organics basic
2.. Roots Organics Green Lite
3.. Foxfarm's Strawberry Fields
4.. Foxfarm's Coco Loco
5.. Happy Frog if nothing else is avail.

These are the only ones I will consider... been known to mix #1 & #3 as a favorite mix.

#1 has the guanos and earth worm castings these plants love, needs breaking down by hand or grinder though to avoid hot spots.. great soil, have done complete grows with only adding calmag and a pk booster at week 6.

#3 is loaded with perlite and is very loamy, great soil for starting your seeds in as the tiny hairs can move around easier allowing roots to build up fast.

Mix: Best of both worlds mixing the 2. The absolute best mixture I've ever used...

finish filling pot, water in again but don't soak it, slight runoff is perfect.

Starting in a 1gal plastic pot, even if just a cheap nursery pot for .50 is better, I used to use them all the time.

luck

I've been using Happy Frog, but every thing you do kicks my ***, so don't use that! I wouldn't mind seeing a grow in Coco Loco. Local Taylor's is selling the stuff cheap.

I've been using Happy Frog, but every thing you do kicks my ***, so don't use that! I wouldn't mind seeing a grow in Coco Loco. Local Taylor's is selling the stuff cheap.

Yeah, mine was too so I used it this grow and not to happy with it.. it's made by Foxfarm and I prefer their Strawberry Fields over it. I'd have to say perfect is starting seeds in Strawberry Fields and up potting after they show sex, Autos, and then put them into a mix of SF and Roots Organics.

Here we are, all up and green..

Tent 1 d b.jpg

Tent 1dd.jpg

Blue Vangoo reg seed by Carty years ago..
Blue Vangoo reg auto.jpg

Berserk Auto
tent 1 dc.jpg

Let's do an update...

I've had much better growth at this stage and I think 2 things that have changed had made a huge difference, but in the wrong direction... haha.
#1. Soil.. I usually use either Roots Organics or Strawberry Fields, nothing else for quite a while.. stores were out, I went with Bush Doctor CocoLoco and I think it's more of an outdoor soil then indoor container. Not happy with it AT ALL.. lesson learned, stock up.. hehe.

But that said, here we are at 2wks. The biggest thing I do at this point in the growth phase is removal of the cotyledon leaves at bottom. (Round Leaf). IMHO this promotes upward growth and begins to strengthen the stem as it exposes the bark helping it get stronger as it heals this area. I use Silicon to help with this.

#2. Lights. I've removed these little veg lights that seemed to be adding to my success. LED 2ft el cheapos but they put off a bright white light spectrum they seem to love in both veg and flower.. hmmm? lol

Let's do mine 1st, and sorry, it is out performing Berserkers seeds.. sowwy bro. lol

Blue Vangoo at 2wks old
BV 2wks.jpg
BV at 2wks old ready.jpg

Berserker Autos.. one runt struggling a bit and really showing Blueberry traits early on, maybe from the Grape
Dosi Breath genetics is all I can think..
Ber 3.jpg

Ber 3 at 2wks.jpg

#2 looking the best so far and almost compares to the Blue Vangoo
Ber 2.jpg

All 3 Berserker Autos after removing cotyledon leaf and feeding
3 Ber at 2wks ready.jpg

Latest posts

Back