Auto's Done Carty's Way

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started reading Cartys post I read it from the beginning where he said if he had feminized seeds he started them in a two gallon pots. Felt pots 10” tall. He only started in a 1 gallon pot if he had to sex them as to not waste a bunch of soil. Later in the post maybe months later I’m not sure, I think he found that they did better with a transplant from the one gallon pots even if they were feminized. I was just wondering if he thought it would be worth it to start with the 1 gallon pots then up pot even tho I have feminized seeds. If you haven’t read his post, grab a drink and a couple doobies and plan on reading a while. there is a lot of good information there.
Good advice that I've already taken lol. I'll leave the transplant advice to Carty.. but for what it's worth, transplanting causes stress that is unnecessary with a feminized plant that will develope just as strong of a root ball in the 2 gallon that it will if started in the one gallon.

This is a cross I did. Zkittles Magoo
Zkittles Female Auto from seed was GMOs X Mr Magoo Auto Male from seed of Cartys.
It's in a 5 gallon fabric pot.
IMG_20220809_173341822.jpg

Good advice that I've already taken lol. I'll leave the transplant advice to Carty.. but for what it's worth, transplanting causes stress that is unnecessary with a feminized plant that will develope just as strong of a root ball in the 2 gallon that it will if started in the one gallon.
I think I read where he compared them and the ones transplanted from 1 gallon to 2 gallon had a bigger and crazier root ball but I need to go back and find it now.

I can tell when I'm not wanted. I'll step aside and stay there. Sorry.
No please don’t go away sad. I’m just growing autos for the first time and everyone says to check out cartys page. I’m not saying you are wrong at all. I just want to give the girls the best chance I can to grow big and strong. Please forgive me if I sounded ungrateful 🥰

I can tell when I'm not wanted. I'll step aside and stay there. Sorry.
All comments are welcome here, but this is more like manipulation...

Why I recommend starting in 1gal pots, and not felt but plastic.. and especially for beginners.

#1 and foremost, controlling moisture levels... it's hard enough for someone starting out to just do a successful grow, but learning to control moisture levels in a 3 or 5gal pot can be a learning process all it's own.. so I do recommend beginners to run them in plastic pots until sexing shows...

#2 is building a root ball, Autos are a different beast and by starting them in 1gal plastic pots you allow the larger roots to build so the plant establishes a grab hold into the medium vs air pruning from day 1...

That Said: I just started 4 feminized seeds in 2gal felt pots....

Take the time to really read thru this so you'll understand my method of madness better... not say to never start them in larger pots... but not everyone has the skill level to do so successfully and especially when learning watering, not to over water etc etc...

All I know is this: When I up pot from a 1gal pot to just a 2gal felt pot, I use taller then most.... they blow up as I will now show you...

Again... feel free to share and comment, just be careful to not step on toes of proven methods ok... been growing Autos now over 10yrs and still experimenting and learning to push them harder and harder.. let's grow, ahem, pun intended, together... hahaha

Let's take a peek at my SOG experiment... I started off wanting to do all 9 this way, but after up potting 1 to see the difference, I just couldn't do it.. so, left 2 in 1gal pots to see while up potting the other 4, culled 3..

1gal pots x 2 (2).jpg
1gal pots @ day 40 (2).jpg
1gal #1 (2).jpg
1gal #2 (2).jpg

The girls up potted and only into 2gal pots... I"m looking at 3gal felt pots 10" tall for bigger yields..
Trizzler D day#40 (2).jpg

Tcc (2).jpg

Tccc (2).jpg

1gal #1 (2).jpg
Tddd (2).jpg

Attachments

• Tdd (2).jpg
    Tdd (2).jpg
    444.6 KB · Views: 0
Mars Hydro TSW-2000 light, sponsored by Mars Hydro to test for 1yr and report on it...

This light rocks... the dimmer switch makes life so easy..

Attachments

• Tent B day#40 (2).jpg
    Tent B day#40 (2).jpg
    411.2 KB · Views: 0
Babies started in 2gal felt pots... watering is key here.

I water the medium in well few days prior to planting, when using organics it's nice to jump start feeding the medium as you don't feed the plant really...

Here they are at 1wk old, for more info on this grow see my Big Cheese Off in Auto's
Veg tent 1wk old (2).jpg

Mephisto 1
Mephisto 1 1wk old (2).jpg

Mephisto 1 wk old.jpg

Mephisto 2
Mephisto 2 1wk old.jpg

Mephisto 2 wk old.jpg

Repiins 1
R1 a 1wk old.jpg

R1 a wk old (2).jpg

Repins 2
Repins 1wk (2).jpg
R1 a 1wk old.jpg

R1 a wk old (2).jpg

Repins 2
R2 1wk old (2).jpg

R2 wk old (2).jpg

All comments are welcome here, but this is more like manipulation...

Why I recommend starting in 1gal pots, and not felt but plastic.. and especially for beginners.

#1 and foremost, controlling moisture levels... it's hard enough for someone starting out to just do a successful grow, but learning to control moisture levels in a 3 or 5gal pot can be a learning process all it's own.. so I do recommend beginners to run them in plastic pots until sexing shows...

#2 is building a root ball, Autos are a different beast and by starting them in 1gal plastic pots you allow the larger roots to build so the plant establishes a grab hold into the medium vs air pruning from day 1...

That Said: I just started 4 feminized seeds in 2gal felt pots....

Take the time to really read thru this so you'll understand my method of madness better... not say to never start them in larger pots... but not everyone has the skill level to do so successfully and especially when learning watering, not to over water etc etc...

All I know is this: When I up pot from a 1gal pot to just a 2gal felt pot, I use taller then most.... they blow up as I will now show you...

Again... feel free to share and comment, just be careful to not step on toes of proven methods ok... been growing Autos now over 10yrs and still experimenting and learning to push them harder and harder.. let's grow, ahem, pun intended, together... hahaha
Thanks Carty and I’m sorry for causing a disturbance on you thread. I truly am only trying to start out on the right foot. I will plan to go ahead and use the 2 gallon pots I got to start as my seeds as they are marked feminized (well 2 are not marked but I’ll take a chance 😊) and watch out for the watering thing. I understand what you said about light water around the roots and not all directly on the stem area to encourage the roots to move out and chase the moisture. Will maybe need a bit more info on how to lay those 2” roots into the pot at planting. I never grew them that long before planting. I was thinking the tap root goes down and the head is even with the soil but in your pics they seemed to be laying in there horizontally. I’ll be looking again at you pics for sure. Thanks for responding and again I’m just here to learn and don’t doubt anyones proven methods even if other methods also work. Hope your day is good😊

I grow outside so I move my seedlings from small pot to 3 to 5 gallon pots pretty quick.
I know how to water so it's not a problem for me,,,,but as Carty and you pointed out not everyone knows how to do that. I use a water bottle I poke holes in the lid and water my seedlings with it. That way I have more control how much and where the water is going.

Learned that water bottle thing from working in construction. I put a piece of carpet outside the doorway of where men are working and water it down to trap dirt from their shoes. The water bottle with little holes in the lid works perfect and I don't soak the carpet. Just turn bottle upside down and squeeze.😁

Thanks Carty and I’m sorry for causing a disturbance on you thread. I truly am only trying to start out on the right foot. I will plan to go ahead and use the 2 gallon pots I got to start as my seeds as they are marked feminized (well 2 are not marked but I’ll take a chance 😊) and watch out for the watering thing. I understand what you said about light water around the roots and not all directly on the stem area to encourage the roots to move out and chase the moisture. Will maybe need a bit more info on how to lay those 2” roots into the pot at planting. I never grew them that long before planting. I was thinking the tap root goes down and the head is even with the soil but in your pics they seemed to be laying in there horizontally. I’ll be looking again at you pics for sure. Thanks for responding and again I’m just here to learn and don’t doubt anyones proven methods even if other methods also work. Hope your day is good😊
Don't believe you did a thing wrong, and questioning is learning.. even his comments helped us learn...

Hey, let's do this together then. I just started 4 feminized seeds in 2gal felt pots, no up potting.. hey, still learning and experimenting myself. On this current grow I've got 2 in the 1gal pots, 1 up potted plant was topped after flowering showed, 1 was FIM cut as was 1 of the plants in 1gal pots was.. you can tell by the damaged leaf under the new growth..
Left one was FIM cut, right one was left alone
1gal pots @ day 40 (2).jpg

I lay it out for ya'll to play it out how you wish.. don't be afraid to try and push yourself and learn, take some chances.. taken me years to somewhat learn these autos and what they like.. they seem to love the FIM trimming and being topped.. (strain dependant)..

I grow outside so I move my seedlings from small pot to 3 to 5 gallon pots pretty quick.
I know how to water so it's not a problem for me,,,,but as Carty and you pointed out not everyone knows how to do that. I use a water bottle I poke holes in the lid and water my seedlings with it. That way I have more control how much and where the water is going.
hahaha.. great idea. You know them little squeeze bottles, picture a tiny turkey baster, but these are used for toddlers runny noses.. I use one to water my babies the first few days. it really allows me to control where the water goes and after sloshing to much onto a baby plant and washing it out, killing it.. never again.. your method is simple, love it.

Hey Subgirl, when the tails get long, yes, make the hole and plant it with the shell right at soil height so it has to fight a little to start off, strengthens the stem. the reason you may have seen some laying sideways is because not all of them germinate straight.. some will look like a dang L shape.. lol.
now when I place a seedling in that is barely cracked open, I plant that seam side down ..

luck

Hey, let's talk about advanced technique here... you've heard me refer to FIM cutting.

F.I.M. = Fuc_ I Missed.
A technique discovered on accident, thus the name. Man was trimming leaf material off his plant and using scissors to long for the job, accidentally trimmed the tips of the next flower.. ah crap. as things progressed that particular flower blew up in size, thus a technique was born..

Leaf Stripping = Taught to me by Pa-Nature who has mastered it IMHO
A technique that done correct can amaze yourself and increase harvests by almost double.

Some growers tend to remove fan leaf constantly as the plant grows, and especially late in harvest like my buddy Atilla does. his buds suffer for this big time, some never forming tight buds as photo synthesis as been almost cut off week 7.. when using the method on photo periods, PN does his at around a month into veg doing a complete stripping..

with autos, I've tried something a little different, at least this grow, and leaf stripped a few plants in flower

This plant was leaf stripped 2wks ago, done at the correct phase of growth, it comes right back..
Trizzler A day#40 (2).jpg

Okay my friends.... I have hip replacement Surgery Friday sometime.. so, it could be a bit before I get back to regular visits here.. so if you don't see me for 2wks no worries ok..
Ladybug is all setup to care for the plants, I mix the Sunday foods and she's just gonna water in the tents...

Trizzler is changing colors already and looks to be a nice 60 day strain or there abouts... wish me luck, see
you all soon...
Carty

Okay my friends.... I have hip replacement Surgery Friday sometime.. so, it could be a bit before I get back to regular visits here.. so if you don't see me for 2wks no worries ok..
Ladybug is all setup to care for the plants, I mix the Sunday foods and she's just gonna water in the tents...

Trizzler is changing colors already and looks to be a nice 60 day strain or there abouts... wish me luck, see
you all soon...
Carty
Good luck with the surgery. A friend of mine had one hip done about a decade ago and was up and about walking his dogs 3 days after the replacement. He said it was one of the best decisions he ever made. No pain a decade later. Take care.

Latest posts

Back