Auto's Done Carty's Way

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Col... nice to see your interest.. keeps me on my toes.

I'm always learning and experimenting is part of it. I can see how topping these autos can work on many strains..

I topped the Repins Cheese strains, which btw is: Widows Red Berry Cheesecake. topped both of his plants and they rewarded me with so many tops I'm starting to think I should start staking them..

Flowers doing ok (2).jpg

BY Repins12
Repins sisters mid life.jpg

Mephisto Canna Cheese x CDLC
Mephisto girls mid life.jpg

and in hopes of trying to keep my rotation going, the small tent has babies born 9/3 and 9/4.
The Spook Off, having a little fun with Halloweeen Ladybug and I are having our own little grow off picking 2 spooky sounding strains each..
Mine: Arachnid Pie by Repins12, Cisumevil...
Hers: Dark Spark & Black & Blue Jack....
Just because: CBD Express by weedseedsexpress.com our 1st attempt at a CBD strain for pain meds with a 1 to 15% ratio.. so very little thc..

Babies born Sept 2nd.jpg

AP few days old.jpg

Right into felt bags at seedling, wonder for an outdoor grow but great lesson, looks like 1 gal then only one up pot, makes so much sense, thanks for the share!
I just dumped the soil from my Critical and GSC autos that were in 3-gal fabric, and I can confirm that the root ball was a lot smaller than I had expected. My sphagnum moss wicking containers had almost six times the roots overall throughout the moss when compared to the soil (both Critical and GSC). I'm surprised actually. I feel like the more I learn, the less I know :)

Crap Soil, lesson learned finally.... after my surgery I needed soil, had my buddy pick me up a bag from the local Farm Feed store.. problem is, they store soils in a metal building that is open all day to the environment, bugs etc..
when I opened the bag, I swear it had mold all in it. but I was hurting bad and just deal with it.. should of flushed the crap out of it and did a bug soak for 20min, flush again... walla, but, nope...

Today was day #11 for the Arachnid Pie and it had not grown much at all since birth.. to me about a 5 day growth plant at most... usually by 2wks my plants are pretty big and almost need to be topped.. *** right?? So, I yanked all 5 of them up and gave my wife all the soil for her outdoor stuff...

Going back to my true blue proven method....
Start the plants in 1gal Orchid Pots.. all kinds of breathing holes as Orchids are air root plants requiring almost no soil.... I love them..

Then into my tall 2gal felt pots ..

New Strains:
Marathon OG Auto F2 by Berserker Seeds... I love this breeder.. he's very honest and on his pack of seeds it actually says, Reproduced by Berserker.. now that is honesty, not renaming a strain like it's his creation.. Respect bro and proud to call him a sponsor..

Sour Crack x Blackstrap .. just sounds yummy.. need to find out who did these.. JP or Repin12..

Soil: Roots Organics from hydro store... lol.
Foods: Humboldts Secret and assorted others..
Lights: Mars Hydro TS-2000

see ya soon..

Crap Soil, lesson learned finally.... after my surgery I needed soil, had my buddy pick me up a bag from the local Farm Feed store.. problem is, they store soils in a metal building that is open all day to the environment, bugs etc..
when I opened the bag, I swear it had mold all in it. but I was hurting bad and just deal with it.. should of flushed the crap out of it and did a bug soak for 20min, flush again... walla, but, nope...

Today was day #11 for the Arachnid Pie and it had not grown much at all since birth.. to me about a 5 day growth plant at most... usually by 2wks my plants are pretty big and almost need to be topped.. *** right?? So, I yanked all 5 of them up and gave my wife all the soil for her outdoor stuff...

Going back to my true blue proven method....
Start the plants in 1gal Orchid Pots.. all kinds of breathing holes as Orchids are air root plants requiring almost no soil.... I love them..

Then into my tall 2gal felt pots ..

New Strains:
Marathon OG Auto F2 by Berserker Seeds... I love this breeder.. he's very honest and on his pack of seeds it actually says, Reproduced by Berserker.. now that is honesty, not renaming a strain like it's his creation.. Respect bro and proud to call him a sponsor..

Sour Crack x Blackstrap .. just sounds yummy.. need to find out who did these.. JP or Repin12..

Soil: Roots Organics from hydro store... lol.
Foods: Humboldts Secret and assorted others..
Lights: Mars Hydro TS-2000

see ya soon..
I think I’m in love with the strawberry soil I started my autos in. I didn’t go with anything organic mix as suggested by your early post as I just had a terrible problem for the same reason I think soil stored outside at my local greenhouse. I have not had even 1 gnat on the sticky yellow thingys in the tent. The plants are growing like crazy way bigger than I expected autos to get at this point. Good luck with your new soil and grow Carty 💕

I think I’m in love with the strawberry soil I started my autos in. I didn’t go with anything organic mix as suggested by your early post as I just had a terrible problem for the same reason I think soil stored outside at my local greenhouse. I have not had even 1 gnat on the sticky yellow thingys in the tent. The plants are growing like crazy way bigger than I expected autos to get at this point. Good luck with your new soil and grow Carty 💕
Hey Sub, Don't get me wrong. I too love the Strawberry Fields by FF.. it's a mushroom compost based mix and if you water heavily you can actually get toad stools popping up.. just pluck em, no big dealio.. I just got a bad bag that sat around on the bottom of a pallet and never got rotated prolly, it happens.

I went back to hydro store and back to my old favorite.. Roots Organics soil.

One thing I preach and usually when I experiment I learn to listen to my own advice... sometimes.. lol

That Is: " When you find something that works for you, work it " .. but this thread is about learning so I try new stuff at times.

My 30 day rotation idea is a bit difficult to pull off when your not running clones or 2 strains you know quite well..

So, I'm gonna try blowing up both tents at the same time every 70 days..

Just started:
2 - Marathon OG F2 by Berserker Autos
2 - Sour Crack x Black Strap
4 - Black Cream

8 Feminized Autos.jpg

2 Marathon OG born Sept 16.jpg

2 Sour Crack x Blackstrap born Sept 16.jpg

Black Cream ready for pots.jpg

Hey Sub, Don't get me wrong. I too love the Strawberry Fields by FF.. it's a mushroom compost based mix and if you water heavily you can actually get toad stools popping up.. just pluck em, no big dealio.. I just got a bad bag that sat around on the bottom of a pallet and never got rotated prolly, it happens.

I went back to hydro store and back to my old favorite.. Roots Organics soil.

One thing I preach and usually when I experiment I learn to listen to my own advice... sometimes.. lol

That Is: " When you find something that works for you, work it " .. but this thread is about learning so I try new stuff at times.

My 30 day rotation idea is a bit difficult to pull off when your not running clones or 2 strains you know quite well..

So, I'm gonna try blowing up both tents at the same time every 70 days..

Just started:
2 - Marathon OG F2 by Berserker Autos
2 - Sour Crack x Black Strap
4 - Black Cream

View attachment 308865

View attachment 308866

View attachment 308867

View attachment 308868
I am a fan of Roots Organics soil as well. Though I know I don’t use the volume you use, over the years I have been using it, it seems to be pretty consistent in quality. I use their Green Lite mix. Really good drainage and organic materials to feed the plants. The only time I experienced issues(likely nute lockout due to pH) was when I experimented with reusing the soil(without amending the soil). I suspect the pH dropped low due to degradation of the peat in it.

Oh for sure... I've reused soil plenty of times but ya gotta go 50/50 mix almost. Funny you mention Green Lite, went to buy a bag and sold out so used my old favorite regular green bag, not 707, it's for outdoor.. but the guy selling it had no idea so I educated him.. know your products man.
I actually only use a bag of soil every 2mos. what I'm noticing on this grow is, the plants are growing so fast that I am not watering enough affecting my bud growth I'm sure. Starting to think if I'm only gonna run 4 each run I should go to 3gal pots when I up pot from the 1gal orchid pots..

Lesson #1... and this bites me in the butt more then anything, so I'm sure it does others.. And I hear my good friend Deadvet telling me time and again.. "Cartman, when you find something that works for you, don't change it."..
No truer words have been spoken. I've learned a lot this year and I still think my biggest lesson is quoted above..
Did ok starting Fem seeds in 2gal pots, but do better my method of starting things in small pots too.. so...

2 - Marathon OG Fem born 9/16
2 - Sour Crack x Blackstrap Fem born 9/16
4 - Black Cream Fem born 9/17

All seeds are now up and green cept Black Cream #4 still attempting to push off it's shell..

This run I'll be showing you my method and thus from now on..

I tried the 30 day rotation and think now I'll try just blowing up both tents.. hehe

Ok... remember on this past Cheese Off grow I did some topping.. 3 of the 4.

What I noticed is, it retards flowering by like 2wks.. the on not topped is further along and has much larger buds, but not nearly as many budsites.. in the end the topped plants will yield more and it controlled height if that is an issue with the strain, it's a great idea.

Canna Cheese x CDLC Canna Cheese is a CBD 1:1 strain, so by adding the CDLC to the mix it's not THC loaded too.
2 Mephisto Canna Cheese x CDLC (2).jpg

Widow Berry Cheesecake is a strain by Repins12, my newest favorite auto maker.. this guy has the touch.
R1 (2).jpg

R2 (2).jpg

Looking great brother as always.
And thank you as always my brother.. nice to know people appreciate my efforts to share..
Amazing Brother, all this is new to me so writing it all down, you're a true Weed Whisperer! Thank You for all your hard work & giving nature!
One of my favorite things to do is turn people on to the world of Auto Flowering.. no, it's not for everyone, but for s mall areas like my 2 tents, they are perfect.. height is where it's at.. and don't get me wrong, I have an excellent collection of photos just a waiting for the right situation.. lol.

The Black Cream is already looking quite unique.. 2 phenos have a super light lime green 1st leaf... guess it's time
to research this strain and see what it is.. hahaha.. And so I did and edited this post with the info:
. This is the result of the cross between Sweet Seeds most awarded strain – the original Cream Caramel – and an exotic auto flowering strain of purple flowers, descending from pakistani Kush ancestors.
B Cream 1.jpg

B Cream 2 x 2.. very Sativa looking.jpg

Marathon OG by Berserker Autos is looking very healthy.. he did not create but reproduced it to F2..
Marathon OG omg.jpg

Sour Crack x Blackstrap... I think this is by JP..
S Crack very indica.jpg

I have my light at about 20" or there aboot. Don't want to stress them during week 1. fan is making them flutter. light schedule is 18/6.

Hint: When starting ANY seedlings... be sure to break your soil up as good as you can. I take a small tub and as I transfer enough to plant my 1st one gallon pot, I'm grinding it with my hands and breaking up all I can.. your goal here is to have the medium nice & loamy so the fine hair roots off the tap root can spread easily..

And early on, don't water them like they are full sized plants. you don't want the medium WET but moist.. I use a small baby snot remover bulb looking thang.. yeah, don't laugh.. gives me full control the first few days when controlling moisture is key to early root development.. water 2" away from the seedling, you want roots to look for moisture and spread. don't water until you get runoff.. but just enough to give it a wee little drink..

I'd rather water twice a day light handed, then heavy and start off with brown roots...

after a few days of this and the plant starts to stretch a bit, then it's okay to do a full watering.. no foods yet unless your using small dose of Superthrive.. Silica.. but that is all I use before end of week 1..

See you in a few days ok...

Last edited:
I just cut down the plant that was not topped.. turns out topping a plant around week 3 retards flowering time by at least 2wks. for an auto, this can mean a world of difference in yields. However, a larger pot is for sure needed.
I was watering and removed the plant labels, upon replacing them in a different spot it was almost impossible to penetrate the medium meaning... root bound.. not like you do with the larger finger roots, but small hair feeder roots and a plant that I can see stress on because of this situation.. yeah, still learning here too..

Foods ran out on this grow so trying something different and non organic for a change...

Used for Coir based mediums I chose a 3part
Advanced Nutrients PH Perfect 3 part Grow, Bloom & Micro.. Let's see how this goes eh?

Mephisto Canna Cheese 1:1 CBD strain x Creme de la Chem (CDLC) ..
mEPHisto Cheese.jpg

Mephisto Canna Cheese x CDLC.jpg

Her sister was topped and has a few more weeks to go yet but will pull in a little more
Mephisto 1.jpg

Hi Carty and all Y'all.... Second grow - first Auto.
I thought I'd try an Auto while I'm growing out some feminized seeds. These pictures are at 4 weeks old. I haven't done anything to them as far as trimming. In my random not very thorough research to grow autos I read not to top them. So I'm just letting them go "natural". They seem really small to be flowering already. They're like 15" tall.
I did have a weather event in Napa when I first started them-it was 115 deg on the hottest day of a heat spell. It was 92 in the tent at one point. Three of the Autos turned male fairly soon after and out they went. Could these be flowering to soon because of heat stress? Oh yea, and I did not check the PH for the first week. Almost forgot, they (all of them) were yellowish until I adjusted the water PH and they are a gorgeous dark green now. I have 2 tents going with the Autos by themselves. Can I give them company and put another plant or two in with them?
I have the light cycle set on 18/6 in both tents so my worry would be one of the Autos turning male on me. I do know what to look for because one feminized turned on me during my first grow-had a nanner and thanks to everyone who looked at the pictures guided me to get it out of the tent.
Thanks for any insights. Pretend I know nothing (cause I really don't know) and I appreciate even the most basic of suggestions. Thank you all...... 🙃 👍 🌱

Attachments

• 092822Auto4wks.jpg
    092822Auto4wks.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 092822Auto4wksa.jpg
    092822Auto4wksa.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 092822Auto4wksb.jpg
    092822Auto4wksb.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back