Auto's Done Carty's Way

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look what i got Carty. 😁

IMG_20220918_140412601.jpg

Hi Carty and all Y'all.... Second grow - first Auto.
I thought I'd try an Auto while I'm growing out some feminized seeds. These pictures are at 4 weeks old. I haven't done anything to them as far as trimming. In my random not very thorough research to grow autos I read not to top them. So I'm just letting them go "natural". They seem really small to be flowering already. They're like 15" tall.
I did have a weather event in Napa when I first started them-it was 115 deg on the hottest day of a heat spell. It was 92 in the tent at one point. Three of the Autos turned male fairly soon after and out they went. Could these be flowering to soon because of heat stress? Oh yea, and I did not check the PH for the first week. Almost forgot, they (all of them) were yellowish until I adjusted the water PH and they are a gorgeous dark green now. I have 2 tents going with the Autos by themselves. Can I give them company and put another plant or two in with them?
I have the light cycle set on 18/6 in both tents so my worry would be one of the Autos turning male on me. I do know what to look for because one feminized turned on me during my first grow-had a nanner and thanks to everyone who looked at the pictures guided me to get it out of the tent.
Thanks for any insights. Pretend I know nothing (cause I really don't know) and I appreciate even the most basic of suggestions. Thank you all...... 🙃 👍 🌱
Hey Julie.. most likely it's a combination of things, beginning with the genetic makeup. with Autos, the sooner a female shows sex, the less chance you have of her filling out as well. I also feel starting Autos in any pot smaller then a 1gal pot stunts the plants.. biggest things I preach is never start them in cups.
heat stress with also add to stunted plants..
Oh, I break most of the rules of, "You can't do that". Want to see a pair of Auto's that were topped week 3 of veg?
Cheese off beasts.jpg

I just ran out of that stuff and wow can I see a huge huge difference when I up potted this time around..
no spider webbing of roots at bottoms, need some go go juice.. lol

I found some new pots I think will work so much better... Going up a gallon to 3gallon to flower.. and by
looking at the sizes closely, I found some taller pots that will do the job and make it so I can fit 5 plants in
the larger tent.. Start 8, up pot the best 5 ladies. sounds like a plan.

So here is who made the cut this run..

few I picked.jpg

1 more to up pot, need soil.jpg

Black Cream double.
Dbl Black Cream in 3gal.jpg

Marothon OG in 3gal pot.jpg

Sour Crack #1
Sour Crack #2 in 3gal pot.jpg

Sour Crack #2
Sour Crack #2 in 3gal pot.jpg

Marathon OG #2 waiting for more soil to up pot her..
Marathon OG #2 awaiting it's 3gal pot.jpg

How many people are listening... huh? hehe.

I've preached about trimming Autos to promote upward growth by removing the cotyledon (round) leaf's and the 1st set of single bladed leaf.. if you only want 4 to 6 main growth stems, remove the next growth further up the stem and walla.

I did this 2 days ago to these plants at week 3 of veg..
Sour Crack 1 3wks.jpg
Sour Crack 2 3wks old.jpg
Marathon OG 2 looking nice.jpg
MOG 2 in 3gal pot.jpg
Sexing at week 3.jpg

I myself am still learning.... just what have I learned from this last grow..

A. Do not start autos in 2gal felt pots, by the time you harvest she is full on root bound with feeder roots.
B. Start plants in 1gal orchid pots I love, but run them in pots a full 3wks and allow roots to develop better.
C. Always use Myko additives. I ran out and OMG did I notice HUGE decline in root growth..
D. Most Autos need a good 75 days to run.
E. Don't under water to much either.

And anyone want to grow some Beastly Auto's... look for seeds done by Repins12

1 plant, his Widow Berry Cheesecake which won my Cheese off grow hands down... thanks bro, cannot wait to grow more of your gear...
Trimming Repins Cheese.jpg

Super Cropping... have you been doing this incorrectly like I have??

Lucky enough to run into some old grow books, I decided to read an article in it about super cropping..
and yes, I was doing it the Soma method I'd learned of simply pinching the growing stems .. but what this article says to do is to pinch it, then roll it 90 degrees one direction, back to center, 90 degrees the other.
and yes, the branch my bend over, but trust me it will bend upward and grow like mad..
Supercropped.jpg
Supercropping done correctly.jpg

So, all of the branches were S Cropped and the main stem was pinched midway... here she is a few days later..
Reacting well to SC.jpg

Rolling the stems like the book said gives you more control over the branches opening up the plant
without the use of staking it. which I also do..

Wow Carty! I learned so much in this thread….thanks for taking the time to write it up and keep it updated. I’ve been supercropping wrong, planting seeds incorrectly, not using Mykos and under estimating the potential for autos (never tried one, but a have a couple of beans)

I’m subbed to follow along….best of luck with your grow.

Carty is a good man. Likes cheesy puffs.😁
Likes heck, he LOVES cheesy poofs. why I just did a cheese run... muwahahaha

Hey T-Dub... Autos are very overlooked and have seriously changed since the days of Lowryder 1.
That was balcony plants designed to grow 2ft to stay under balcony height in areas such as Spain.. One
could grow a row of these things and nobody the wiser..

Now, I've had Autos almost 5ft.. and ones I've created gone to 12ft in the Humboldt Mtns.. man I miss
Miss Piggy. Gabagoo got to 9ft. then the entire acre was lost to a domestic disturbance of the worst proportions, and PoPo shows up and cuts it all down. There goes my 2000 seeds, 1000 of each strain..
sent them my last 150 of each.. grrrrrr.. but, crap happens huh?

I now have 6 Gabagoo f3 seeds and 5 of my Blue Vangoo. Going to do my best to preserve them both starting with Gabagoo here next. plus with them I'll be putting down some Mephisto to also hit with Gabagoo pollen.. 24kt x Man Bear Alien Pig and another 24kt cross of thiers. a wicked strain by them..

Now to name them... Golden Gabagoo maybe. Goldengoo, Golden Alien, 24kt Goo, Goobear,
Alien Goobear, Rip Snort,

come on, I know you creative people have ideas... let's hear them.

The growth over night was incredible yet again and yet again they were thirsty. I've read recently that allowing them to dry ALL THE WAY out is bad.. just short of that, perfect. So get to know the weight of your plants dry vs wet.. soil top may look dry, but bottom may be wet. just pick it up and feel the weight..
Sour Crack the next day (2).jpg

See you people in a week or more.. having hip replacement surgery Friday morning... so see ya when I feel a bit better..

thanks for stopping in.. I do this for you guys and Gals.. I see you Submarinegirl.. hahaha

Know your plants.. it's a relationship and the more positive love you give them, the more they give back...

Secrets: My Mars Hydro TS-2000 I'm testing has a dimmer switch. I'll dim it down the last hour... and when they wake up, same thing, I leave it alone and turn it up after an hour. I call this waking them up gently..
I mean, does the sun just POP up immediately? NO. and this is when the light spectrum is all over the place.. why I love this daylight light spectrum with mixed in red, blues etc...

The growth over night was incredible yet again and yet again they were thirsty. I've read recently that allowing them to dry ALL THE WAY out is bad.. just short of that, perfect. So get to know the weight of your plants dry vs wet.. soil top may look dry, but bottom may be wet. just pick it up and feel the weight..
View attachment 310897

See you people in a week or more.. having hip replacement surgery Friday morning... so see ya when I feel a bit better..

thanks for stopping in.. I do this for you guys and Gals.. I see you Submarinegirl.. hahaha

Know your plants.. it's a relationship and the more positive love you give them, the more they give back...

Secrets: My Mars Hydro TS-2000 I'm testing has a dimmer switch. I'll dim it down the last hour... and when they wake up, same thing, I leave it alone and turn it up after an hour. I call this waking them up gently..
I mean, does the sun just POP up immediately? NO. and this is when the light spectrum is all over the place.. why I love this daylight light spectrum with mixed in red, blues etc...

I figure that will be the next new thing with the lights have them come on and go off gradually. I’ve often wondered if this effected the plants. I mean how would you like to wake up to bright a$$ LED lights at exactly 6:00 am every morning.
I’ve found that my autos are thirsty every day. If I wait till morning when the pots are almost light sometimes I’m rushing just to give their gasping selves a drink before my coffee even. They drink like crazy in those 2 gallon pots. I think next time I will use a 3 gallon pot so they hold a bit more water.

Likes heck, he LOVES cheesy poofs. why I just did a cheese run... muwahahaha

Hey T-Dub... Autos are very overlooked and have seriously changed since the days of Lowryder 1.
That was balcony plants designed to grow 2ft to stay under balcony height in areas such as Spain.. One
could grow a row of these things and nobody the wiser..

Now, I've had Autos almost 5ft.. and ones I've created gone to 12ft in the Humboldt Mtns.. man I miss
Miss Piggy. Gabagoo got to 9ft. then the entire acre was lost to a domestic disturbance of the worst proportions, and PoPo shows up and cuts it all down. There goes my 2000 seeds, 1000 of each strain..
sent them my last 150 of each.. grrrrrr.. but, crap happens huh?

I now have 6 Gabagoo f3 seeds and 5 of my Blue Vangoo. Going to do my best to preserve them both starting with Gabagoo here next. plus with them I'll be putting down some Mephisto to also hit with Gabagoo pollen.. 24kt x Man Bear Alien Pig and another 24kt cross of thiers. a wicked strain by them..

Now to name them... Golden Gabagoo maybe. Goldengoo, Golden Alien, 24kt Goo, Goobear,
Alien Goobear, Rip Snort,

come on, I know you creative people have ideas... let's hear them.
Yagaba Blue

View attachment 310897

Boss 74 yrs old replaced hip earlier this year. Pain in hip joint GONE. Recovery from surgery wasn't bad-incision healing takes time and the soreness from the proceedure. He went fishing in Alaska for 2 weeks. Runs a full service machine shop and race parts store. Farms grapes for wine running all the tractors and mowers I can't keep up. Good luck. I hope it goes as well for you. Best Wishes. 👍 :)

I want my $2.... hahaha. Nice choice, this stuff will change your growing in such a positive way, root
growth will be immediate. I like that this can be used as a topical and watered thru..
I figure that will be the next new thing with the lights have them come on and go off gradually. I’ve often wondered if this effected the plants. I mean how would you like to wake up to bright a$$ LED lights at exactly 6:00 am every morning.
I’ve found that my autos are thirsty every day. If I wait till morning when the pots are almost light sometimes I’m rushing just to give their gasping selves a drink before my coffee even. They drink like crazy in those 2 gallon pots. I think next time I will use a 3 gallon pot so they hold a bit more water.
See, you get it... lol. just something my crazy mind thought about.. that first half hour. when I flush them,
usually lightly a few times during growth... 1st being the switch from veg to bloom..at around week 4.
I let them sit in my tub for at least 24hrs getting that weird bathroom light and UV's that come thru..
when they go back to the Mars Hydro they go bonkers for it, reaching for the sky..
Next trick, put them into 12/12 for a week.. remember, all these autos have that photo period hidden within and they do react to the 12/12 in weird, usually positive ways..
some of this stuff again is just my crazy thoughts....
Boss 74 yrs old replaced hip earlier this year. Pain in hip joint GONE. Recovery from surgery wasn't bad-incision healing takes time and the soreness from the proceedure. He went fishing in Alaska for 2 weeks. Runs a full service machine shop and race parts store. Farms grapes for wine running all the tractors and mowers I can't keep up. Good luck. I hope it goes as well for you. Best Wishes. 👍 :)
Sweet, gee tell him to get off his butt and do something.. muwahahaha. and here I'd be happy to walk my dog. dang.
This hip replacement wasn't nearly as bad as the 1st and more damaged hip where he had to realign my pelvis. the swelling on it still hasn't gone all the way down. this left hip isn't nearly as bad.. I'm a big dude, so my scar is big, 35 staples at least. other side was 33. with my 3 back surgeries I' m going for an arrow pointing at my butthole... hahahahahahaha.... already walking easily, few weeks no cane needed..
go to Dr Wed for updated exray and 1st follow up..

Thanks

My wife, aka: Ladybug , fed the girls yesterday after I mixed up some foods for her.. and, took some updated shots..
All in Preflower around day 30 thru 32..
day 30 thru 32 for these ladies in preflower.jpg

Marathon OG has quite the stretch.. something tells me this pheno will put weight on late in the game.

Marathon OG Day 32.jpg
All braches Supercropped.jpg
lots of hairs.jpg

Marathon OG B. this pheno would be the 1 I'd choose to breed with if I where.. she's gonna be a beast.
Marathon OG B @ 31 Days.jpg

Mongo removed the lower shade leaf for me today to.. everybody is helping.. lol

Sour Crack A & B. love how this strain grows.. taking notes. lol

Sour Crack A
Sour Crack B @ 31 Days (2).jpg
sour crack B @ 31 c (2).jpg

sour crack B @ 31 d (2).jpg

Sour Crack A... this is the wicked looking pheno with that weird leaf structure we all look for in a strain, she is going to be something special and turn lots of colors by the end of things.... excited.
Sour Crack A @ 31 Days.jpg
sour crack A @ 31 days c.jpg

Latest posts

Back