Auto's Done Carty's Way

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You people just rock... I feel naked not running my Auto's.. then I remembered, I did start one single little Auto. A tester plant of my STOMP. Gabagoo x Sour Stomper
I've been growing it next to my photos, so in order to not have light leaks into the flowering tent right next door, I had to start them all on 12/12.
STOMP up potted (3).JPG

I also tried something a little different I've not done in a while. My goal is to try to stop buying so many different products all separate as it's getting costly. I used to use Espoma's "Plant Starter Plus" and the plus was Mychhorizea.. yeah, spelled wrong. root growth is explosive and it keeps them slightly fed with the NPK of 4-3-3. Start your plants by mixing a few teaspoons in the starter soil and walla.. feed at half strength.

She's been lollipopped..

You people just rock... I feel naked not running my Auto's.. then I remembered, I did start one single little Auto. A tester plant of my STOMP. Gabagoo x Sour Stomper
I've been growing it next to my photos, so in order to not have light leaks into the flowering tent right next door, I had to start them all on 12/12.
View attachment 319719

I also tried something a little different I've not done in a while. My goal is to try to stop buying so many different products all separate as it's getting costly. I used to use Espoma's "Plant Starter Plus" and the plus was Mychhorizea.. yeah, spelled wrong. root growth is explosive and it keeps them slightly fed with the NPK of 4-3-3. Start your plants by mixing a few teaspoons in the starter soil and walla.. feed at half strength.

She's been lollipopped..
I’m sure you miss your auto grows. Im gonna run another tent of autos in March. They were a lot of fun, beautiful and better smoke and quantity than I gave autos credit for. Also they were quite comfortable in my tent without a scrog net which made it nice for maintenance on the plants. March is the perfect time to grow them for me as I can grow my 4 outside plants thru the summer.
how’s that stomp gonna grow under 12/12?

Auto Flowering... many folks give this a shot and walk away, why, because grow #1 was unsuccessful. You see, Autos really and truly are a different animal and thus have to be treated so.

Stunting is the biggest issue and IMHO #1 reason why this wonderful auto flowering style of MJ is talked down by so many with bad experiences. It's easy to do.

My journey began after a 4yr hiatus and deciding to get back into my hobby. smaller spaces dictated changes like small tents and more stealth. Hmmm? I was gifted a bunch of seeds that got crushed, the only 3 that made it was 3 Sour60 seeds I got 2 females and a male, made more seeds. thus the journey begins.

Since the F2 seeds I made were not feminized, I needed to start 12 to find 5 or 6 females hopefully. so starting 12 pots in 2 or 3gal felt is a LOT of soil and I cannot afford it and don't have room for
12 larger pots. so, this is where I decided to break my first rule I read about. "They" say to NOT transplant autos. given no choice I started mine in 1gal plastic nursery pots. you know, the el cheapos.

Here is my method after 8yrs or so of growing Autos..

My #1 DON'T rule... Starting in Solo Cups. IMO has something to do with the tap root being restricted early on. A photo period can outgrow this initial stunting as it stays in veg mode longer and can overcome. NOT an auto. plant will finish usually at about a foot or so. want bigger autos. Try my method..

Germinate seeds to the point 2" tails are exposed.. this keeps you from planting upside down on accident causing possible losses, been there, done that.
>>>> How I do it: Soak in good water overnight, give a stir, if seeds sink ready for step 2. place in damp paper towel, not wet.. inside baggie and I go into an oven mit.. dark, warm.
2 days later check on them. if short tails barely popping, one more day might do it. every strain is different.

Starting regular autos..
1. Start with 1gal plastic pots.. why you ask? plastic pots allow the larger roots to form early that establishes the plants foothold, just like in nature. you want a nice root ball to form during this first 3wks in the small pot. 3 wks because most autos have shown sex by now and you know which ones to up pot, which ones to cull..
2. Introduce your Mykos here at up pot. many brands out there so not gonna recommend any, but a sprinkle of this in the hole before dropping the plant into the new pot, omg do the roots just go mad. healthy plants.
3. Up pot to: 2 or 3 gal felt pot. why felt? at this point is where you need your feeder roots to start. As she gets established in her new home and her larger roots hit the pots edge, they get air pruned thus causing feeder roots to form all along the roots mass. up taking nutrients and water.
Watch these girls blow up a week or so after up potting and stretching their legs a bit. IMHO Autos love to be up potted if done correctly. stay away from grow bags please, try finding
some Orchid pots like I use. they have more drain holes then the average pot..

Starting feminized autos..
Doesn't get much easier then this.. start them in 2gal felt pots, start to finish.. why 2gal. Autos only live about 2 1/2 months, and what I've discovered is most will not fill out a 3gal root ball.. my exception would be a long flowering auto like 80 to 90 days Sativa dom. not saying I'd not use a 3gal pot, but think I'd start THOSE in 1gal pots first. control moisture better in beginning. but my rule for starting feminized autos is, 2gal felt pots.
Hint: Look for taller pots.. most 2gal are 8.5" tall, but some are 10" tall and I prefer these.. big reason is up potting, gives me almost a full gallon of dirt under and room to grow...

Feeding: People, do not feed until end of week 1 for your 1st feeding, not day 1. you will burn them and stunt them. I sometimes go 2wks if my plants look healthy and are growing strong. but if you want to stay on a schedule of week 1-10. start end of week 1, end of week 2 and so on.
Feed, water, water.... Feed, water, water. Remember, your soil also dictates your feeding and the amount you feed them. try staying at 50%. just might get healthier plants.

Flushing: I give them a light flushing right before up potting to assure I'm converting feeding over properly to flower. not a full on flush but more of an over watering with extra drainage clearing it up a bit.

Soil: No Foxfarm Ocean Forrest straight.. it WILL burn your plants. any kind of mistreatment early on will result in stunted autos.. when autos can get up to 4ft at times.. I've tried them all and here is what I find works best.
Roots Organics basic green mix... (not 707, it's for outdoor). this stuff is like magic, but does require a lot of breaking down by hand or a grinder.. huge chunks of guanos..
Foxfarm's Strawberry Fields .. this mix is heavy in perlite and is a mushroom compost, keep medium to moist and toadstools will form...
Foxfarm's Bushmasters Coco Loco ... a heavier mix for sure, needs more perlite IMO.

My best soil ever: Mix Roots Organics, after breaking down, with Strawberry Fields 50/50. I did a grow with this mix and only had to add calmag and a PK booster to achieve awesome
plants..

I have a goal of helping people discover autos and not walk away disappointed. I see so many doing things that cause stunting and thus small yields, then compare to a photo period grow, not fair really.. photos are dictated by how long you veg.. autos decide this on their own.. why I try to find strains that take 3wks and not 10 days.. the faster it shows sex, the smaller that plant/strain is going to be. Look for Sativa mixes that still finish in 75 days or so..

I'm here to help anyone who has questions.. starting 5 new seeds tonight, soaking in water..
4 - Beserker Autos - Forgotten Cookies III x Grape Dosi Breath by Beserker7205

1 - Blue Vangoo - Kush Van Stitch x (W.C. OG x Cash Crop Auto female) x (Sour60 x Blue Streak F3). By Carty 2008..

I have a thread going called Autos...back at it. you can watch along and see how my grows progress, but I'll also be showing updates here of the 2 above strains so we can do a tutorial, answer questions and teach.. feel free to ask me anything about autos.. if I don't know the answer I'll research it until I'm sure I have it right and post it up ok...

Autos Rule
I put everything in 5 gallon buckets, I have a convenient one for compost that gets lemon aid once in a while, I hope they don’t test dna

Feeding....
This dang soil has me messed up.. having to change a lot of feeding habits to get the plants to respond... arrghh
So I brought a few oldies out.. Roots Organics Surge, Extreme Serene... Nitrogen baby and other goodies.. especially in the ES..
Be up potting soon and they WILL be going into Strawberry Fields or Rootss Organics, and I'll be starting 8 more.

Strains are up in the air, have a good friend sending me some feminized Mephisto Genetics, which I love... should
arrive any day now.. so hang with me here...
I have compost in back that has been earth worm food 15 years out of the composter and can pass for coffee, this and gravel is my dirt. I add cal/mag with zinc and iron tabs plus mag citrate to start

I’m sure you miss your auto grows. Im gonna run another tent of autos in March. They were a lot of fun, beautiful and better smoke and quantity than I gave autos credit for. Also they were quite comfortable in my tent without a scrog net which made it nice for maintenance on the plants. March is the perfect time to grow them for me as I can grow my 4 outside plants thru the summer.
how’s that stomp gonna grow under 12/12?
When I was a kid in Alaska we cut more autos than a mower cuts grass!
Ruderalis is known to be from Russia and has been found wild-in Alaska. We grew in green houses and in out houses and this plant doesn’t mind colder temps! Crossing to a sativa, then back crossing to a indica was well known .

Well I made a decision.. Since this current photo period grow will take at least another 8wks to finish.. I'd like to push thru a grow of Autos in the small tent and both should finish about the same time. I've actually got these senior citizens looking for buddage and I want to be that neighbor who helps...

So up next is... Bubblegum Auto x 8. Regular Autos, and I thought it would be nice for a change to run just the one strain ..

In honor of our 35th anniversary... Ladybug absolutely loves Bubblegum and it's been years...
into water they go.

hey there Johnny

do you know how to start your own Thread?….the Mods can help you.

@johnnyrr435 Maybe you could start you own grow journal so we can keep up with it without getting things mixed up with Cartys journal. We would love to keep up with both. It’s not hard just start a thread with your garden name in the grow journal section
That is a good idea….

Maybe start your own journal. Carty’s journals are good sources of info for people growing auto’s using his methods, tips and tricks.

STOMP... When I was attempting to preserve my Gabagoo a bit, I allowed a little pollen to sneak over to a Sour Stomper by Mephisto.. only got a few seeds but fun to see what becomes of it still ya know.
She has been in with the 12/12 gang, I imagine on 18/6 she'd be bigger. but this was just a little test.

I have both strains still and something tells me they should meet again.

Notice the Purple Calyx's with young trichomes already glistening..

100_0043.JPG
100_0045.JPG
100_0047.JPG
100_0048.JPG

Strain has some of the traits I look for in a breeder.. if a male would show with these same features I'd be drooling.. wish I'd made more seeds.. grrrrr.... hahaha

Latest posts

Back