autowatering with timer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

next

Reaction score
Hey there,

Anyone use timers and a pump to water their soil grows? I macgyvered this with some stuff I had lying around. Basicly a small submersible water pump attatched to some 3/8 tubing that goes inside the tent and connects to a splitter. From there I ran 1/4" black airline tubing to each plant, connected to the rim of the pot and directed towards the soil.. The plants are in fabric pots, and I put each pot inside a small Tupperware.

They are small plants now so I will hand water but once their up and going I planned on setting the timer to turn the pump on twice a week for 5 min(takes 5min to pump out 8liters of water)

View attachment tmp_30941-IMG_20151213_97062052562790.jpg

View attachment tmp_30941-IMG_20151213_16290738162951.jpg

View attachment tmp_30941-IMG_20151213_231281880720445.jpg

you can also put dripers on the end to control the amount of water is given. I like to use the 1gallon an hr dripper and set timer for a half hr every 2 days this works great for a bunch of plants that you can not get too easy

TCABS

When I do that I put emitters on the ends, so that I know how much they got and I can have a large rez.

I have a few drip lines but I didn't feel as tho they would be able to saturate the whole diameter of the pot.

I will look into some emitters, thanks for the reply Mr. Duck

Do you recommend a certain brand or type?

I run a pump watering system for flowering........ with a 25 gallon reservoir........ 9 lines run from an irrigation regulator screwed in to top of pump........ I put my plants on and eb and flow table 3x3 and let the water drain from the pots back the res which is sits under the table....... I put a T at the end of the tubing and add a couple +/_ inches of tubing to each end of the T junction to spread the water out over more of the pot.

Adding a Tee at the end sounds like a great idea. If I had an ebb and Flo table it would be best for sure, much less risk of water spillage if the excess drains back to the Res.

Plants are almost ready for a drink, I will add a tee and a few inch of line to spread the water out, not sure why I didn't think of that :48:

I have a big rain barrel I could use for a Res, but the pump would require alot of lift to get the water up and out, I'm thinking a larger rectangle Tupperware. I think my plants will drink about a liter a day, thinking 4 plants max, so I need to have 120liter Res minimum to last a month

Adding a Tee at the end sounds like a great idea. If I had an ebb and Flo table it would be best for sure, much less risk of water spillage if the excess drains back to the Res.

Plants are almost ready for a drink, I will add a tee and a few inch of line to spread the water out, not sure why I didn't think of that :48:

I have a big rain barrel I could use for a Res, but the pump would require alot of lift to get the water up and out, I'm thinking a larger rectangle Tupperware. I think my plants will drink about a liter a day, thinking 4 plants max, so I need to have 120liter Res minimum to last a month

2 weeks is how long I go between res changes....... I top off often and keep ph in the range......... your going to need to check your ph often....... it will change on you just sitting in a barrel waiting to be used. I never ever check my ppm anymore......... never gets very high anymore.

Was planning on using straight tap water with an air bubble to keep it fresh. Organic super soil grow more or less. My tap Ph is a little high but seemed to do alright, ro water was a bad idea..

I backed it down to 4.5/7 for the hippy slayer this run........ doesn't seem to have effected the other strains in a negative way........ they all seem happy.

Gave them 7liters between both plants. Water went thru the pot and pooled in the bottom quicker than expected. Not real impressed with how much soil is still dry at the top,

Also with the res higher than the plants, the water siphons until its all gone.. might need a better pump that doesn't allow free flow so I can use a large Res. I see some watering rings on amazon seems like they would distribute the water much more evenly.

View attachment tmp_20469-IMG_20151215_7662-1146571158.jpg

View attachment tmp_20469-IMG_20151215_3019110343006.jpg

Next ...

Google Blumat Troph. Developed in Israel and is all automatic. No timers, pumps, or Doo Dah.

No experience myself, but do know several organic growers that swear by them and not at them.

Worth checking out.

DD

Latest posts

Back