Away from Herbs for over 30 years. I'm back again.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bombtombadil

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm an old timer that used to smoke weed back in the 80's and early 90's. Back in my day, there were two types of weed. Brown " little manilla envelop" dirt weed. (It got you high) and Sinsemilla. (We used the word sinse for anything good that didn't have seeds. Weed cost around 40 a 1/4 for Sinse back in the day.... (About 160 an ounce)

Fast forward to the new world where you can actually choose your strain and I'll say this. I don't like "dank" weed that stinks up everything like Pepe Le Pew. Back in the day you could walk around with a bag in your pocket without worrying about the stink. Some of these new strains stink so bad !

So, my chosen strain for my first few grows, is Northern Lights. It smells just like the old school Sinsemilla strains I remember from way back when. It smells delicious and one or two Bong hits is good for me. (My first grow just finished curing). 1 Bong hit = high 2 Bong hits = too high, time to find a couch.

I'm growing legally in Virginia, one plant at a time in a 1.5x1.5x5 metal cabinet. This should cover my personal use... Anyway, I'm having a blast. This hobby is so rewarding and I'm learning so much ! Great to be here all.

Here is a pic of my first attempt.... I had major problems I'm blaming on Fox Farm Ocean Forest, My first plants got fried the entire grow losing ALL leaves. My current grow is doing much better using Fox Farm Happy Frog instead of Ocean forest. I have my current grow posted on the beginner forum here and am in week 3 of flower now. I hope I get some healthier buds without brown leaves creaping in !!!! We'll see how much better it goes second time around.

IMG_0424.JPG
IMG_0439.JPG
IMG_0387.JPG

IMG_0364.JPG

Last edited:
Welcome back! I must be a tad older than you. In my day, a nickel bag was five bucks for a quarter oz. A full ounce was $20. Paid $75 bucks for my first quantity purchase, a kilo of southern Michoacán.

Do you remember when buds had that sweet smell like a dollar bill, honeysuckle, or Juicy fruit gum? I don't like the high stink that many are used to today but I get it, the weed is strong. I just hate opening an eighth of Sour Diesel and having my whole family ask if there is a skunk in the house. It wasn't like that at all back in the day ! Luckily for me, I can go to the classics and get some of the old school low odor weed I like....Northern Lights makes me very happy and I would have loved it back in the 80's...

Strains that have my eye for future grows...(low odor, not low THC)

Mango
Durban Poison
Green Crack
Jack Herer
White Shark.
Blue Mystic.
Bubblegum

I read them all.

Pipe-weed
VIEW SOURCE

Pipe-weed
Background Information

Other names
Halfling's Leaf
Westman's Weed
Sweet Galenas
Used by
Hobbits of the Shire,
Men of Gondor,
Dúnedain,
et. al.
Usage
For smoking in a pipe

Pipe-weed was a plant of Middle-earth, in particular grown and enjoyed much by the hobbits of the Shire, to whom it was first introduced by Tobold Hornblower.
Contents
History
It was first grown in the Shire by Tobold Hornblower in Longbottom around SR 1070 (the year 2670 of the Third Age). Despite its foreign origins, the hobbits were the first to use it for smoking. Pipe-weed production became a major industry in the Shire, especially in the south.[1]

The same plant was known among the Dúnedain as Sweet Galenas for its fragrance. In Gondor, it was known as Westman's-weed, and grew there as a wild plant, appreciated most for its sweet-scented flowers. The colloquial name was in reference to its origins: it was apparently brought to Middle-earth by Númenóreans in the Second Age.[2]
Popular hobbit varieties of pipe-weed soon included Longbottom Leaf, Old Toby (named after Tobold Hornblower and revered by Bilbo Baggins), Southern Star, and Southlinch, which was grown in Bree.

Merry (of Peter Jackson's films) smoking his pipe-weed
The Wizard Gandalf learned to smoke pipe-weed from the Hobbits and was known to blow elaborate smoke-rings. Saruman initially criticized him for this, but eventually secretly took up smoking himself. After the destruction of Isengard, pipe-weed was found among its stores, but the hobbits Merry and Pippin failed to realized until later the implications of the discovery of Saruman's commerce with the Shire.[3]

Good info. I read The Hobbit and the Trilogy in the 70's. Twin Towers was my fav.

Nice, yep, the Two Towers is my favorite of the bunch as well. I purchased a red leather bound version of the LoTR well before the movies came out. I think it might be worth a lot more than I payed for it now. I also have some old Cartoon books from the Hobbit that are worth a pretty penny today. Its a shame I let my kid read then as the condition is not mint anymore.

Latest posts

Back