bad start to a good hobby!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kushman1969

Reaction score
Hi

This is my first post and im desperate for help.I went to my local hydropnic store and spent a few hundred quid on some equipment, but i got the impression they were just after sales.Anyway i got my light fan, ballast, soil,fertilisers ,mylar etc.I also bought 10 blacklabel oke 47.After a few hours converting my cupboard (enough space for 2 plants) i went and took 5 seeds out of the pack and poped the remaining 5 in a sealy bag (like the ones you get off your special friends).I popped the 5 into a mug with some water inside and left them in a dark place.Adter a few days only the 3 big seeds had germinated.I then got my 8'' pots put 2 thirds of my TERRA PROFESSIONAL soil iin and 1 third vermiculite, then mixed it all up by hand and repaeated the process for the other 2 pots.I popped my seeds in a little hole i made in the siol on their side so they would root down,covered them up and then watered them.i then covered the top of them with cling film and left them on my widow sill or ledge (my friend who grew white widow a whille ago said thats what he did)After 3 weeks there was no sign of life.In frustration i poked around the soil looking for roots but there was nothing.i was gutted,but thought i would use the other 5 seeds.When i took them out of thier bag they were very pale and after 2 weeks in water the have'nt germinated.Im now out of seeds and am goimg to have to but very expensive new ones.i would like to know where i've gone wrong as i want to do it agian???
Im absolutly stumped!!!!

P.S what feminized seeds would any1 recomend for a beginner?i was thinking dutch passion white widow ???

You should not have them submerged in water.... thas probably what did it... After placing in soil you dont need to cover with saran wrap either.

Put a seed with the pointy end up i soil, sprinkle some dirt over it till it is covered... and put ur flouros 1-2 inches above the dirt. I used to use the damp napkin in a covered bowl trick... i just found it didn't work for balls.

Oh, and dont waste your money on fem seeds..

Welcome to the forum kushman1969. IMHO if this is your first grow i would use some bagseed if possible. This way if you have any problems and they die you are not waisting $$$$$. Like KADE said once your seeds start to show their roots you need to plant with the root pointing down and the seed head pointing up and cover with some dirt. Here is a link on how we germinate our seeds. Maybe this will help ya out some. http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2398&highlight=brother%27s+grunt+method+germination

KADE said:
You should not have them submerged in water.... thas probably what did it...

I'm gonna disagree with that statement.....

there are many ways to germ a seed and glass of water is one method i use alot with great results....

Just germed 50 and 20 of those i did in water with 100% germ rate

grow on

Not after it has roots!! read... he has root rot.

There are VERY MANY easy strains to grow.. if u want a knock ur socks off high go with the white strains... but be real easy on the nutes.

Err.. HGB - sorry if i sound rude... i'm not meaning it... i'm just too sarcastic sometimes.

KADE said:
Not after it has roots!! read... he has root rot.

might have root rot from the soil being to moist but not from germ'n in water...

temps can effect germ rate any way you do it IMHO and 2-4 days in water at around 85* will work great....plant in proper premoisted soil and you should have no problem;)

over water doesnt happen untill after a plant is in soil from germ.... best to let them search for there meal so rot doesnt happen

Yeah, I was more meaning the whole covering over part.... I have things so damn crossed up answering a million threads... plus my uncle had me down for teh afternoon and we took care of a 40 of captain.. sooo yeah! haha.. When I'm dealing w/ seeds and seedlings.. I water by mist only... perhaps I'm wrong.. but it always works... and they like it! =)

I am not expert here, also just begining to grow some for private use.
I used 4 seeds in glass of water Ph 7.0, 2 were floating on the water and other 2 submerged to the bottom but they all germinated and were put in soil. I put them like 1 inch (2,5cm) deep in soil and i got results after 3 days when they popped out of soil. After like 10 days one of my plant died in my opinion it was my beginners mistake becouse one of the plants stem rotted from the soil to the first leafs and i think about 2much water :( f... it, still have 3. The only problem i had with germinating was that stem jumped explosively to high and when there were first 2 pairs of leafs they droped down and i thought that was becouse of putting seeds not deep enough (professional help here).
I ordered my seeds from nirvana.nl got indoor Big Bud becouse it says that growing is easy and good for beginners and the price is like 22$ or 20 euro. From 4 seeds that i put to germinating all of them came out, no problems here. have to wait for sex although but as i heard that feminized seed arent so good at all.....read more about it......

Mutt is my mentor.........TNX Mutt ;)

A lot of time germinated seeds will when sprouting fall over... u can either stake them.. or get a fan over them.. after a few days they typically stand back up...

Thanks alot everyone.From what ive been reading everything went well untill i put them in the soil.i think i overwatered the liitle bastards and they rotted away.There was never any sign of life in the pot!!!!
still dont know why the other 5 seeds died after being stored away but nevermind.
Again beginners mistakes, nevermind persistance always overcomes failure.Even a broken clock is right twice a day so will get it sorted!!Going to put 50ml of water in the 8'' pots daily then increase as the plant and roots get bigger.

thanks a lot will post some pics of my white wids if i ever get them to grow.My mate used them for his first grow so will stick with them.

cheers

You shouldn't have to water everyday. You should only have to water every 3 or 4 days IMHO.

I didn't have to water my in the bag ones until I took them out and put them in the aero system, or into the pots. The bag method works, but I heard it causes problems with the roots.

thanks for that.

How long do you keep that up for ,until the stem and laeaves emerge??You should water everyday when it goes into vegatative growth shouldn't you.Isnt that how you feed the plant by adding your nkp into the water??

Depends on how much soil is used and what size pots you have. What kind of light do you have? I water my organics once a day. I only have two and they are about ready to transplant. There are meteres for such things, too if you want to spend more money.

Too little water is way less harmful then too much water.... STAY AWAY FROM OVERWATERING... only water if the soil feels dry an inch under the top.

thanks alot.def think it was overwatering thst did my babies in.All ready spent a small fortune wahts a bit more to get it right.have a 600 duel spectrum bulb but not even used thst yet.Started the grow in 8'' pots but using small ones the size of a yogurt pot just to get them sprouting then will transplant them.

Thanks again

Yeah, even being more experienced at it I have to tell myself to F off with the watering all the time on my mothers... one is smaller then the rest... so it makes sense it'll drink less.

this is how i have found the best way.....take a very warm damp paper towel fold in half then half again like envelope place seeds in paper towel fold in half again ..now place paper towel in sandwich size ziplock squeeze allmost all the air leave only a little inside now place baggie ontop of an appliance like a vcr or surroun sound reciever, something that can stay on for a few days for a slight heat source.,,after about 24 hours just open baggie for a minute to allow some fresh air .. DO NOT OPEN PAPER TOWEL...not just yet make sure it is still damp and not dry from your heat source..wait another 24 hours and u should be able to remove papertowels form ziplock and open it up..the strong ones should be germed and ready to plant any ungermed seeds just simply close back up redampen and try again if 2nd time they dont germ i throw them out..hope this helps u its the only way i have found works for me good luck kush let me know if u try it and if it worked for you

Latest posts

Back