baffling!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trojan46312

Reaction score
Does anyone know how it's possible for a room to be 70 degrees but the humidity is 65 percent? I thought cold air reduced humidity. There is a portable a/c in the room keeping it nice and cool but the humidity is still very high.

Cold air does not reduce humidity. What type of portable A/C do you have in the room? Are you sure it is not an evaporative cooler? Do you have a good exhaust fan?

It is a Haier Commercial Cool a/c. It does evaporate and blow the air out the chimney. Maybe that's what it is...lol. I do have a pretty good exhaust fan.

Should I add a dehumidifier? Will the hot air from it make the a/c work too hard?

Whats the humidity of the area you are pulling air from?

With a humidity of 65%, I would not worry, as long as you dont see any PM(powdery mildew) . I would just let the plants grow and just watch them as long as their happy let them grow.

In a given air space with a given amount of moisture in it, the relative humidity will actually go up if the temperature goes lower, unless your AC is also removing the moisture along with the heat. If the room is at 70 and the RH is 65 then that is not too bad. :)

If the AC does not discard its condensate then it stays in the room adding to the RH. Check to be sure your AC is draining properly and outside the grow.

Not only that, but a cheap hygrometer can be really out of the zone..

where i live the RH is always high in the summer 70%-90% (i live within walking distance of the atlantic). if your on a tight budget, like myself, and 65%-70% is the highest you've seen the RH. then i'd suggest a DIY dehumidifier. like i did with my growroom. now, i use a small space, only 6sq/f. i would not suggest this for a larger growing area. but if you, like me, are growing in a smaller space, then a simple 5 gallon bucket filled with charcoal, can be effective and really really cheap. as opposed to buying a 200$ dehumidifier.

not only will the charcoal reduce your humidity in the room(takes a few days to notice a change), but it also traps odors. im not saying it will remove the smell of mj, but it will slightly reduce it. replace the charcoal every 6 months, and no the charcoal will not be wasted. you can still use it on the grill when it has ran its course in your growroom

Thanks guys. The room is in a room within the basement. The basement is hot and humid overall but the actual space is cool and humid. The a/c is the kind that pulls fresh air in through a4 inch hose and exhaust through a 4 inch as well. The intake hose of the a/c pulls air from the hot and humid basement. Could that be the problem? By the way im in the second week of flower.

My window unit I use in my shed has a dry selection on it. This allows me to DE-humidify.

Latest posts

Back