Bag-O-Worms Thanks, Tater!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droopy Dog

Reaction score
I love Tater's DIY attitude towards growing and saving $$$$ on stuff you can make rather than spend 10x as much for something that might work 1/2 as good as what you can make.

In another thread, Tater showed a link for DIY worm bins. Well, after moving a few years ago, I have more than a few totes that aren't doing anything and elected to do the deluxe double decker worm condo.:hubba: So far, price is ~$10 spent back in 2006.

From the internet and epray, I have more than an ample supply of cardboard and stuff for filler/packing. Again, cost is close to zero. I also have plenty of peat moss that I use in my mixes. That cost ~$10-$12 for a 4cf compressed bale and will easily make over 100 gal of mix. Guess I used about .10 worth.

Scraps and trimmings from the veggie garden and the grounds from the Mr Coffee and my wife's tea are in good supply. Would normally go in the garbage, so again, zero cost.

Now the worms. Sorta screwed up at first and went to a BEER-BAIT-GAS place that we have plenty of in the South. Spent $20. Got a 6pack, a container of RED WORMS, and the change in gas.:hubba:

More research showed me that these are the WRONG worms.:eek: They are still doing ok and I won't have to look far when I go fishing.:D

Spent a couple of hours searching composting worms and found more than a few sites, most of them very nice and overpriced for what they were selling.

Finally found a place in Tenn (Shady Creek Worm Farm), that was right to the point. 1Lb of worms (approx 1000 worms), $23 shipped. Everyone else was higher and shipping was extra.:rolleyes: I ordered last Fri since they only ship on Mondays.

Worms arrived today in a nice cloth bag like a old flour sack. Letting the worms come to room temp as it's been a bit chilly outside for the last few days and I don't want to shock them.

Anyway, the main cost has been the worms themselves @$23. Add another $10-$12 if you have to buy the totes. Just from looking at the sites and doing math in my head, to buy ready made would be somewhere around $150-$175 or so. No way I could justify that expense.:eek: :holysheep:

The DIY approach means now I will have worm castings and tea for well under $50 even if I had to buy everything new. That I can afford and justify.:hubba:

Thanks Tater! :clap:

DD

Just put the worms in their new home.:D

WOW! 1lb of worms is a LOT of worms.:holysheep:

DD

Youre welcome but i didnt do much nice job on putting it all together. Lets see some pics Ill be posting some new stuf for all the DIYers out there when i get out from pipelining in the mountains . sorry about the crappy typing im on my phone but i had to goive you the thumbs up.

Latest posts

Back