Ballast is making LOUD buzzing noise Hlp plz quick

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrOysterhead

Mr Oysterhead
Reaction score
whn i woke up this morning i relaized theres a werid noise coming out of the growroom , the ballast to my new 400 watt HPS/ MH is making a consent wrreid loud noise , it is pretty hot i tried turning it off an put a fan on it but its still doing it , any suggestions , thnks :(

MrOysterhead said:
whn i woke up this morning i relaized theres a werid noise coming out of the growroom , the ballast to my new 400 watt HPS/ MH is making a consent wrreid loud noise , it is pretty hot i tried turning it off an put a fan on it but its still doing it , any suggestions , thnks :(

Check your screws to make sure nothing metal is resonating on it, but other than that, I'm sorry to say, it's usually a marker of a dying ballast...or a cheap one if it's new.

I spent 10 years working the maintenance dept of a school, and I can tell you that you get what you pay for.

Also, for the guys that use MH, don't know if you've ever read the label, but they use a liquid quartz that cooks a a toasty 1000degrees. I've seen these buggers pop more than once and melt through the fixture that houses them. This can happen simply if the ballast is bad. Not to mention that if a bulb cracks, it doesn't necessarily go out. It can run for days putting out massive amounts of uv light. You'll know when your skin starts to crawl around it, and your eyes become itchy.

see the thing is it was running fine, since fri , now the sound today all of a sudden , i am using the MH coversion bulb ill trying switching to the HPS after it cools , but damn this sucks, i dont want to have to send it back i just got it FRi

Any other suggestions , i tried putting the HPS in afetr it cooled
still making the noise,

I'm sure you checked this but is there anything that it is near that is vibrating? Is it vibrating on the floor? Other than that I would call customer service. Sounds like a bad ballast.

i also bought the same HPS/MH Conversion kit 400w.
i thought mines was over-heating and making some noise but,after i posted a thread on here i got replys saying this was normal,(not burning your hands off hot!)
everythig is working great now,so if your light does what it`s supposed to.......why bother about how it sounds?

yeah this one burns my fingre if its on the black part of it to long , yea its to noisey for comfort , i cant eveen imagine how annoyed my plants are , it really sucks , i need the light to i ccant just let them be in dark , do you think they would send me a new one if i told them my situation , and i can return the old old

Oh its told loud for this aprtment , i wouldnt care if it was in the basment or not , but its loud,

Well i call them , and theyd said the send me out a new ballast , great customer service from HTG supply... thnks for the advise from you members

:tokie: :bong1: :smoke1: how`s it going mr oysterhead, sound m8,total result! what was the name of the suppliers that is sending you new ballast?
i think mines is working great,yeah the ballast gets hot to the touch n`is a little bit noisy but nothing out of the ordinary.
my grow room is located in a bedroom,right next to my living room(3rd wk flower)when i`m watching TV i can`t hear it at all/infact even with the sky off i can`t hear my ballast nxt door.
in other words;i think my set-up`s fine,and untill a problem presents itself;i.e light goes out!i`m happy as long as the f*****g thing works,lol.
anyways m8,happy growing mr oysterhead and may all your ladies be strong,potent aswell as high yeilding.
take it easy brother,shuggy
:afroweed: :afroweed:

My first was a cheap reman'd 400watt that had a ballast originally designed to hang.It was so loud you had to yell ,once hung it mad no noise[after the bulb struck a arch].If this may be your problem just look at HIDs hanging in your shool gym or a machine shop those ballasts need to be hung.

Latest posts

Back