Balls?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
why clone when you can collect pollen once!? & rose you let it dry out so you can store it. also why we dont clone, get pollen once, store it in fridge for 6-10 weeks if needed.
if you put fresh undried pollen in a jar then seal it the moisture will turn it rotten then its no good. so dry it then you can store it till the girls are ready.
i got my pollen as soon as i new they were males i flipped a small light (can use cfls) to 12/12 to produce pollen10-15 days & i had enough. then dried & pollinated 5 weeks after when my girls were ready.
after pollinating the pistiles have changed color & look shriveled up, indicated they are growing seeds

Rosebud said:
Ruffy, I don't understand why we need to let the pollen dry. As it just goes from plant to plant in nature...It does travel on the wind and maybe that dries it out.

After looking at your boy, mine isn't near ready yet.

Dman, Is Larry a 10 week strain or what? I thought Hamster said it was. If that is the case I could either hold the pollen or pollinate the Burmese Kush that is in flower now. (beginning)

Is it widely accepted by everyone here that it takes 4 weeks to make seeds?

Thanks again, please feel free to tell my your thoughts.

Larry is definetly a 10 week strain Rose,

Rosebud said:
Do I have balls in my closet?

maybe just some junk in yo trunk! :p :) how ya doing rose? how did the pollenation go? did your male cooperate?

this is an open pollenation we are close to finishing up that was close to two years in the making, with the help of some very good friends from the dirty dozen. we used 21 moms + 3 males on this seed project. :)

peace...

018.JPG

134.JPG

Ruffy said:
why clone when you can collect pollen once!?

Why clone? Because we know we are getting a girl and we know the genetics and properties of the plant.

Irish, that is very cool. Thank you.

I haven't done it yet, as I don't understand the timing. Here is the male. He doesn't look done to me.

DSCF1374.JPGDSCF1375.JPG

Rose, just tap the stem with a finger, see if you see any pollen falling, it might not be ready but hes not far off.

why clone when you can collect pollen once!?
It is the "only" way to assure identical plants. That cannot be achieved through seeds, close, but never identical.
Are you identical to any of your siblings? (assuming you have any :p) Even identical twins are "different" in some/many ways.
You ever look at a litter of puppies? Even in breeds with strict standards for registration and breeding, you'll find different colors, sizes, intelligence, ect.

thought he was talking about cloning males in "why clone"

:ciao: Rosebud---looks like a few days away before the balls break open and you got pollen EVERYWHERE---be sure to keep him isolated and you a change of clothes before leaving him and going into into the spot where you got girls you do not want pollenated---just sayin'---:D

thought so ruffy---sounded to me like you were just saying to ogkushman---why clone to keep the male around when you can just store the pollen---

my thought was if he wanted to keep that particular male around---all he needed to do was rip the balls off, trim it way back, and throw it back into veg = no risk of unwanted pollenation

He is in the shed so that is around 12/12 at this time of year. There is no light, just a window.

HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO MAKE SEEDS? No, i am not yelling. I just need to figure if it is 4 weeks I could use the female burmese kush, or I could save the pollen and use it on the one Larry female I did get! Yes.

Please tell me your thoughts.

Orange, thanks for telling me it looks like anyday. I will be careful. I don't think I should strip in the shed though. Might make the neighbors talk. I will be careful.

rosebud naked in the shed :woohoo: pretty sure you are looking at a full flowering cycle to produce viable beans---the only time you need to store pollen is if you are composting the male donor---if you CAN keep him---there is no reason not to---why store pollen that will degenerate over time when you can keep it fresh on tap to use at will---makes no sense to me

orangesunshine said:
thought he was talking about cloning males in "why clone"

:ciao:-:D

see what happens when you get old n senile... I had forgotten the topic :confused2:
sorry :eek:
I've honestly never tried to keep a male for an extended period. But I have stored pollen for almost a year before it lost good viability.
But... if I were a "breeder", I would certainly want the ability to keep him very "alive and well" IF.. I ever found an extraordinary candidate.

rose, when i did some chucking, i pollenated my girls at around 3 weeks into bloom.
i agree with the roughly 4 weeks to make viable seeds. i always try to hit them ASAP though so i know the seeds will be fully mature.

how far in are your girls now?

i'm still pretty new to this to, only made about a half dozen crosses so far. but it's good fun (and when you find something BPOTM worthy ;) it's a pretty cool feeling :D)

:)

Rosebud said:
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO MAKE SEEDS? No, i am not yelling. I just need to figure if it is 4 weeks I could use the female burmese kush, or I could save the pollen and use it on the one Larry female I did get! Yes.

4 weeks on average Rose, hit anything with pollen you would like but just make sure its 5-6 weeks before harvest and you will get healthy seeds, i would hit the Buku and save a little for when the larry is ready.

The lil seed casings start to pop open and show the seeds when they are ready. All seeds will not be mature so don't take it as a failure if some look smallish and pale. I tend to take mine out as long as I can stand it until the trichs are mostly amber but not dieing off just so I feel confident I didn't chop to soon. But I'm a paranoid amature chucher so do what they said... ;)

another plant done pre 98 bx x pre98 bx. 5 weeks to see what happens.
does it matter if the buds are small? some pop corn buds on a branch with a nice top.

i see white/ pail beans, very small growing inside the pod be bak in a few weeks

Here is a ball update:

It only took 11 pic's to get one good one.

Orange, i don't think it is revegging yet.. I see no pollen yet either.
DSCF1386.JPG

Latest posts

Back