Banana bunches on my female NL x Afghani Kush

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiefMOJOrisin

Buddha's Shaman
Reaction score
I have been growin for a good 2 years and consider myself experienced. I have had 11 succesfull harvests growin indoors in my closet under MH lights and CFLs.

I have 4 NL x Afghani Kush hybrids under 715 total watts (400 MH, 315 total CFL) and on day 19 of 12/12. They are in a medium of potting soil, pearlite,and a little peat and top soil. I feed them organic bloom booster by Hollands, 5-15-5 once a month and water regularly.

Everything is going great and the buds are forming better than any I've ever grown. However, a few days ago I saw something that, at first, I thought were male seed pods. After mother ******* the world I took one off and opened it up. It looked like an un-ripe bunch of bananas. I also remember seeing some open ones on a plant I grew a few month ago. It looked like a bunch of bananas hanging where there would normally be a single female flower. At the spot on the node where you first see pre-flowers.

What the **** are these?? There is NOOOOO way the light is getting in during the dark hours so if its a hermie its from something else.

If i just pluck them off will I be hurting my plant?? I've heard of them before...being used somehow in conjunction with males (pollen) to form only female seeds. I want NO seeds. And if i remember correctly....the ones that were open had a pollen like powder on them.

What should i do?? If i pluck all of them will i save my plant from being pollinated?? Please help cuz this bud is by far the best I've even grown..and no doubt will soon be up there with the best I've smoked. And i wanna make sure that nothing fucks that up.

What you're seeing are male flowers.
Meaning the plant in question is either male of a hermaphrodite.
The stress factor could be clones from clones from clones, or simply keeping a donor plant alive too long.
That yellow powder you mentioned is pollen. And lots of it (each pollen sacs contains many thousands of pollen).

If the females are in the same room as the pollen shedders, they've been pollinated.
What I'd suggest is bud the donor(s) out at the same time plant the seeds from your current crop, sex them, select a few donor candidates and start a new crop.

the plants are already under 12/12. Day 19. I had already pulled the 2 males out of the 6 original plants. Oh and these were grown out from seeds. My dealer does the cloning/breeding.

I'm justconfused cuz the plant in question is without a doubt female...as well as the other 3. The one in question was vegged for a lot longer that I would have liked. Over 3 months. It has been trained and trained and tied and tied and topped and topped so it a 3 foot tall 4 foot wide bud bush. Anyway...there really aren't many of the male flowers. I'd say one for every 25 bud spots. Its too late do do anything cuz they all have developed buds down to the bottom node. If i take the male flowers off before they open will i be able to save my bud from becoming seedy???

Even if I don't...there are such a small amount of the male flowers that there probably won't be too many seeds. Cuz like i said, I have seen this before on a previous harvest and about 15-20% of the buds had seeds. And only like 1 or 2 seeds at most.

I just hope these plants won't turn into shit. The bud is phenominal <-(spelling) and the high is even better. My dealer has grown this strain for a while and I can't get enough of it. It's indica dominant (which you could have guessed) and has tight little nugs that swell to triple their size in the last 3-4 weeks of flowering.

Oh...and if i have one hermie in the grow room will that automatically turn my other babies into freaks??

_-*=chiefMOJOrisin=*-_

My dealer does the cloning/breeding.
...there's the fella' to talk to. Possibly, his 'breeding' is flawed. Hermies are the worst possible thing that can become of a breeding project. If you've noticed them before, the genetics have been there for awhile. Hermis pollen propogates more hermie plants. That's it, there is no getting around it.
If he is 'breeding' with that pollen, there lies your answer. It will only get worse from generation to generation.
Oh...and if i have one hermie in the grow room will that automatically turn my other babies into freaks??
...anything polintaed by the hermie will yeild seeds that will carry forth the hermie genetics. BUT...it won't have any effect on the sex of the present plants.

"the plant in question is without a doubt female..."
-No it's not, not if it has balls.

"Oh...and if i have one hermie in the grow room will that automatically turn my other babies into freaks??"
-Hermaphroditism isn't contagious.

"If i take the male flowers off before they open will i be able to save my bud from becoming seedy???"
-You mentioned you saw yellow powder. They've opened.
If you can pick off the unopened balls before they shed that will prob. reduce the number of seeds you end up with.

I once had 1 branch of 1 plant grow male flowers and it heavily seeded the other 40 plants in the growroom, so bad that buds that unseeded would have yielded 8--10 joints only amounted to less than 1 joint once the seeds were removed.

Spray the plants, walls, everything in your growroom with plain water. That will kill stray pollen.

thanx guys. I appreciate the feedback in this depressing time. So far my other 3 plants are ball-free. But i am noticing slightly (very slightly) more balls on the hermie.

and to correct myself.....the plant is question WAS definatly female. It started growing pistils absolutly everywhere and had no male traits until about day 12. Today is day 20....and all the balls are still nice and tight so I am doing my best to take those fuckers out.

Also....i did pluck one male flower and it had pistils coming out of it. Whats that about?? It was definatly the same as the other balls with the bananas inside but it was hollow with the pistils. Is there a chance that some of the balls are like that?? sensi???

and by the way...the plant that had these balls in a previous harvest wasn't the same strain as these. but i absolutly understand what your saying about my dealer's genetics. i'll have to ask him about this.

_-*=chiefMOJOrisin=*-_

P.S.

You guys seem to be up there on the food chain here @ this forum....is this the best (or one of the best) MJ cultivation forums on the net?? I myself am an overgrow refugee. A very disgruntled one at that. And until then I was relatively gruntled (to quote the great Homer J.) I was also a happy heaven's stairway patron until all that bullshit went down...now I'm just lost. I've been looking for a forum/site with the depth of knowledge and cool members like overgrow had. Wondering if u guys know......

thanx guys. I appreciate the feedback in this depressing time. So far my other 3 plants are ball-free. But i am noticing slightly (very slightly) more balls on the hermie.

and to correct myself.....the plant is question WAS definatly female. It started growing pistils absolutly everywhere and had no male traits until about day 12. Today is day 20....and all the balls are still nice and tight so I am doing my best to take those fuckers out.

Also....i did pluck one male flower and it had pistils coming out of it. Whats that about?? It was definatly the same as the other balls with the bananas inside but it was hollow with the pistils. Is there a chance that some of the balls are like that?? sensi???

and by the way...the plant that had these balls in a previous harvest wasn't the same strain as these. but i absolutly understand what your saying about my dealer's genetics. i'll have to ask him about this.

_-*=chiefMOJOrisin=*-_

P.S.

You guys seem to be up there on the food chain here @ this forum....is this the best (or one of the best) MJ cultivation forums on the net?? I myself am an overgrow refugee. A very disgruntled one at that. And until then I was relatively gruntled (to quote the great Homer J.) I was also a happy heaven's stairway patron until all that bullshit went down...now I'm just lost. I've been looking for a forum/site with the depth of knowledge and cool members like overgrow had. Wondering if u guys know......

and will spraying water really work? won't that help spread pollen to places that don't have it?? by making it like, drip down the plant? I have no pollen yet (i was refering to my previous grow when i said there was pollen inside the banana bunch. but i know that it wil happen very shortly. Actually...how long usually before a male flower opens up and blows it's load??

ooops...the last paragraph was supposed to be the only thing on the second post

.is this the best (or one of the best) MJ cultivation forums on the net??
???...Hell yea, it's the best.
We strive to be!

You will find all of the experience and knowledge OG had in our membership, less the trolls and kiddies.

Cool. I've only gotten good vibes from this site so far.

_-*=chiefMOJOrisin=*-_

Latest posts

Back