bark for drainage??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiefMOJOrisin

Buddha's Shaman
Reaction score
I was wondering if regular pine bark nuggets could be used in soil for drainage purposes? Would it have any affect on the soils PH, or introduce any unwanted chemicals?

I have 4 plants... the strain is apple pie from reeferman seeds. They are 2 weeks into veg under two 175w MH lamps and eight 42w CFL bulbs. They are in 10" pots now but when the time is right the will be transplanted into 5g buckets.

Not really sure about it Chief but i thought i read one time that tree bark wasn't any good for soil. I could be wrong and if i am someone please jump in and correct me.
chiefMOJOrisin said:
I was wondering if regular pine bark nuggets could be used in soil for drainage purposes? Would it have any affect on the soils PH, or introduce any unwanted chemicals?

I have 4 plants... the strain is apple pie from reeferman seeds. They are 2 weeks into veg under two 175w MH lamps and eight 42w CFL bulbs. They are in 10" pots now but when the time is right the will be transplanted into 5g buckets.

im in, ah, cedar and hemlock bark is no good because of the creosel or however you spell it and douglas fir has a toxin in its bark. i dont know about pine or spruce. i know that they spread bark on ground to stop weeds and grass from growing hereabouts but its not white wood bark. maybe ask at a good farm and garden store.

very good choice of strain, please keep us informed of this grow please.

Bark is acidic and full of oils.... as long as there wasn't feet of it around the plants outdoors it wouldn't kill nething.. just keep the weeds down some... but normally u want bushes growing up to hide from searching eyes.

kade isnt creosel an oil? or what is it? i know its in the dark woods. bad fer wood burning chimneys.

Creosote? an oily liquid having a burning taste and a penetrating odor, obtained by the distillation of coal and wood tar, used mainly as a preservative for wood and as an antiseptic.
U know railroad ties? Black covered? Basically a form of tar.
Pine/hemlock/spruce/whatever kinds of wood mulch... if left sit/rot... or get wet for a bit... u'll actually see a ''oil'' run outta it or in the nearby water... it isn't harmful to the outdoors like West Texas Crude... a more natural kind. Altho hemlock would be a poison.

Thanks for the responses. I'm gonna stick with perlite. I'm always looking to keep the cost of my grows down and i have a bunch of bags of pine bark in my garage left over from something, and I figures if I could use it...why not use it? BUt i cant...so thanks again for your timely responses. GO YANKEES!!! I'll be sitting on the first baseline saturday night watching Boston SUFFEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back