Barney's Farm Critical Kush

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hackerman

Reaction score
Barney's Farm Critical Kush. It's a cross between Critical Mass and OG Kush.

According to info on the seed banks, both strains are predominately Indica. OG Kush is more often than not, referred to as an Indica. Critical Mass is similar in background (mostly Indica and generally referred to as an Indica).

So, riddle me this, Batman... why do these plants look like this? (See pics below)

If these are Indica plants, I'll smooch your behind. These look a whole like every 100% Sativa plant I've ever seen. LMAO

And, talk about consistent genetics... look at these 2 plants. Totally different. One is stretchy and lanky. The other is much more compact.

What's worse is, they both went into the flower room together about a week ago. The one plant showed buds in about 2 days and has tiny popcorn all over already. The other one has yet to flower anywhere (see the pics below). This isn't 2 different pheno's. This is 2 different strains. LOL

And, wow! Talk about hogs. Each gallon of water contains 2 TSP Cal-Mag, 3 TBSP of Big Bloom, 1.5 TBSP of Tiger Bloom and .5 TSP of Open Sesame.

I usually split a gallon between the 2 plants but about once a week, they get a gallon each.

That seems like a ton of nutes. I have a tiny bit of tip burn but they seem to be enjoying the heavy meals.

I'll bet ya a dollar, that lanky one is a hermie. Since I have been breeding hermies on purpose for decades, I have certainly learned to spot one. LOL

Most of this is all new to me so, I'll take it with a grain of salt and hope for the best.

However, I think it's totally wrong to refer to this plant as an Indica, an Indica Dominate or even Mostly Indica. All three of those terms are loosely used on all the seedbank sites to describe this strain.

I mean, come on... I thought I was buying Indica seeds. LMAO

Still, they look pretty healthy and the clones from these mothers are doing just great so I will soon have a nice little stash of Indi....ah, eh Sativ...er, ah, I mean... well, of Critical Kush. LOL

I am curious to see how the buds form.

Anyone care to comment on the nute thing, I would love to hear it.

View attachment kushmothers081814-1.jpg

View attachment kushmothers081814-2.jpg

View attachment kushmothers081814-3.jpg

View attachment kushmothers081814-4.jpg

View attachment kushmothers081814-5.jpg

View attachment kushmothers081814-6.jpg

Wow those are quite Bushes. Very dense growth. Definitely not Indica Dom. I still see some Indica traits. The leaves are not super thin and the fact that they are quite Bushy lean Indica. I agree the words "predominately Indica" are a load of crap. Sativa leaning Hybrid is way more honest. What do they say about the Flower time on these?

From the seedbank site (and I think they use the breeder's descriptions because they are usually the same from seedbank to seedbank)....

Developed by the Barney’s Farm team. An unusual blend of fine genetics. Critical Kush is a blending of the famous Critical Mass with OG Kush. This is a powerful and extremely vigourous indica plant, yielding huge amounts of beautiful stoney kush. Flowers in just 8 weeks indoors, and grows medium height with great flower-to-leaf ratio. Take pleasure in it's sticky feel, aromatic sent, crystal-covered buds and knockout-stoney high. The kush taste is unmistakable, and the yield per plant phenomenal. This new hybrid is a significant advance in modern marijuana breeding. It's Indica-dominant nature makes it ideal for relaxation, pain relief, and late night smoking.

type: Indica
yield: 750gr/m2
height: 80-90cm
flower time: 55-60 days
harvest time: End September
thc: 25%
cbd: 2.1%

I must say, I am quite disappointed. I can live with it as long as the pot is good but if this is what the breeders are doing.... I have done better in my basement. LOL

I finally had to drag out my shoe rack O-SCROG device to control the one plant. LOL

These 2 plants are completely different. One has grown over 18" since 12/12 and the other has not added an inch. The pics are not clear enough but if you could see better, you would see that the bud structure is totally different. One flowered a week ago and has Sativa popcorn everywhere. The other still has not flowered at all but the tops of the plants are getting real real tight leaves. These buds will be totally different when they pop.

If this is a breeders and judges and growers and pot community's idea of a Cannabis Cup winning strain, I am disappointed in the whole lot of them. LMAO

One of these plants is a straight Sativa plant. I don't see a single Indica trace. Growth pattern, bud structure, and leaf size is all almost identical to the bag seed Sativa I have grown for decades.

The other plant is a Sativa/Indica hybrid. You can see the Indica traits, although, I would still call this plant Sativa dom. Maybe 50/50 at best.

I did a little searching on this kind of thing and I found some posts, albeit a few years old, where a lot of people were having problems with seed banks (especially Attitude) sending seeds that were not what was ordered. I ordered my seeds in the original breeder packs and they came opened in a plastic baggie. I'm not saying that Attitude did this (by accident or on purpose) or if Barneys Farms is a joke, or if this is what the standard is for "good breeding" within the community. LOL

I know one thing. I will be ordering full packs from now on. And I want unopened packs. If this continues to happen, I will know it's the breeder and not the bank. I just ordered some Landrace Afghan from Herbies and I purposely ordered a quantity that was a breeder pack quantity and asked for sealed packs.

I sure hope this one is real Indica. LOL

I do know one thing.... to call OG Kush an Indica, a pred Indica, a dom Indica, a Kush plant (even the name is bull) or to refer to it in any way shape or form as an Indica plant is flat out wrong.

Like I said, I sure hope I get better consistency in future grows.

View attachment kushmothers082014-1.jpg

View attachment kushmothers082014-2.jpg

View attachment kushmothers082014-3.jpg

View attachment kushmothers082014-4.jpg

View attachment kushmothers082014-5.jpg

Because its a indica dominant hybrid strain looks normal to me if i were you i would either trim 1/3 of the lower plant and or place another light hanging vertical also get some string ready and stakes cause she produces huge over weight buds that will break stems this is going to be my next grow just ordered 10 seeds

Developed by the Barney’s Farm team. An unusual blend of fine genetics. Critical Kush is a blending of the famous Critical Mass with OG Kush. This is a powerful and extremely vigourous indica plant, yielding huge amounts of beautiful stoney kush. Flowers in just 8 weeks indoors, and grows medium height with great flower-to-leaf ratio. Take pleasure in it's sticky feel, aromatic sent, crystal-covered buds and knockout-stoney high. The kush taste is unmistakable, and the yield per plant phenomenal. This new hybrid is a significant advance in modern marijuana breeding. It's Indica-dominant nature makes it ideal for relaxation, pain relief, and late night smoking.
type: Indica
yield: 750gr/m2 o am gong to make it 1500 gr per m2
height: 80-90cm
flower time: 55-60 days
harvest time: End September
thc: 25%
cbd: 2.1%
genetics: Critical Mass X O.G. Kush

I have seen a wide range in phenos in kush's. Seems one of yours stretched and the other no. Some girls just eat more... Satori doesn't like a lot of food.

Seems to me it takes years to isolate a progeny that is reliable. I just think they are sending out seeds that haven' t been properly done. Mandala's satori for me is always the same phenos. But MR1, i think it ws got 4 different ones.

I bet the smoke will be great.. Maybe one "up" and one more relaxing... green mojo.

These 2 plants are totally different. Different structure, smell, appearance, just about everything. I doubt they are the same strain. The bad news is that I didn't mark which clones were from which plant when I took the cuttings so now I have a bunch of clones that I don't know which way they will grow.

I am going to run another experiment. If I have enough clones, I am going to grow some in the 3 quart pots all the way to harvest and some in the 2 gallon pots I always use. I wonder how much difference in size and yield I'll get.

I also want to flower these as soon as absolutely possible to keep the size down. I would like to switch back to the 1000w light for this crop so I need to keep them away from the light lens.

As far as the 2 mother plants that are flowering now, if the buds get too big and hang, I'll get out the old shoe rack. LOL

well blame your self not the breeder Barney farms is a reputable breeder with many cannabis cups live and learn if clones are mixed up your hooped for now you could of been smarter by marking plants as plant A clone A plant B clone B etc once they now you need to wait another round to determine which is which trust me the critical will be the massive yielder out of the 2 not hard to figure out this way when second round of A and B are in flower you will now later on in flower which is whcih

Blame myself for 2 phenos of the same strain that are 180 degrees different?

And, as someone pointed out, Cannabis Cups cam be won with advertising dollars rather than good quality pot. Not saying anything bad about Barney's but I think the plants speak for themselves.

As far as me not making note of which cuttings came from which plants.... yep, my bad.

I think it will be fine. I am not growing in troughs this time so I will be able to move the plants around s I need to accommodate the odd growth.

It's stuff like this that makes it a fun hobby. Learn learn learn

I think we have all done that. Took me a long time to figure out to do name with a number. Seems to me no matter how long you grow there are always something new to learn or glitches... or catastrophes... That is why this is called the Passion. Ya got to be passionate about this plant or it would really tick ya off sometimes. And I know you got the passion Hackerman.

Blame myself for 2 phenos of the same strain that are 180 degrees different?

And, as someone pointed out, Cannabis Cups cam be won with advertising dollars rather than good quality pot. Not saying anything bad about Barney's but I think the plants speak for themselves.

As far as me not making note of which cuttings came from which plants.... yep, my bad.

I think it will be fine. I am not growing in troughs this time so I will be able to move the plants around s I need to accommodate the odd growth.

It's stuff like this that makes it a fun hobby. Learn learn learn

Yo Hackerman my Bad for some reason i thought you had 2 different strains in there growing ,,,, having 2 - 3 different phenos is a growers dream in reality least i think so you can pick hat one you like for the style grow you do ,,,,,,, Scrog , Sog vertical donuts etc
And by taking clones like i said plant A and Clone A etc of all the different pheno's but what is great is as plant grows you can see the difference as growth rates , tall or short or bushy even tall and bushy and make notes in veg then in flower same thing how plants did with which yielded more , which had problems which had better looking buds more larf etc etc then you can easily pick next round 1 out of the 2 or 2 - 3 different phenos etc till you get the one you like then you keep is pheno
From looking at the plants they look healthy very bushy and looks like there going to produce so what seems to be the problem the smell of the plant now ??? i personally wouldn't care if they smelled like horse shat , as long as the end result smoke report etc was top notch then be happy lol right

I am curious what the result will be, both in terms of yield and strength. This is my first sample of Hybrid pot from my own garden. And, it's the first time I have grown less than 16 plants in this space. 2 plants this size vs 16 that fill the same space is going to be quite and experiment for me. Never grown bushes this size before. LOL

Been fun so far.

well like i said start cleaning the under growth the crap real low not going to produce there and all its going to do is waste plants energy you should be focusing on the top half of plant the pay zone also you got to realize you need to do this critical kush is known for its heavy yields also this strain is known for bud rot cause of it so get cleaning under growth so you have tons of air movement cause i know its a matter of time before we see a post from you is this bud rot lol

I am not one to prune the bottom of my plants until my "pre-harvest" a week or so before harvest. I have cleaned out the bottom of plants more than a few times and I never noticed the buds on top being any bigger. I believe a healthy plant can easily support growth top and bottom. At least that was my experience with my Sativa.

Never had bud rot either [fingers crossed and knocking wood] and with 40+ plants (my last grow) in this same space, I can't imagine 2 plants are going to be a problem. However, you be da man so I will definitely keep an eye on it.

And besides, all that bottom skiff.... that's my bubble hash load. LOL

Oh yeah... this is definitely Afghan Kush bud. ROTFLMAO

If you look in the dictionary under SATIVA BUD you'll see this bud. LOL To even call this plant an Indica enrages me. LMAO

I am officially declaring OG Kush as a scam, a misnomer and an insult to all Indica strains of pot. LMAO

At least the one pheno (second and third pics) looks a LITTLE like it might have some Indica genes in it. Maybe 1. LMAO But that first pic is a 100% Sativa plant.

Afghan Kush my butt. LOL

View attachment kushmotherbud082614-1.jpg

View attachment kushmotherbud082614-2.jpg

View attachment kushmotherbud082614-3.jpg

i thought the critical kush from barneys was pretty good stuff mine was short and bulky with buds the pinapple express i got from barneys out grow my tent in like five weeks way stretchy your plants do look good though and healthy.

Kush is great, don't declare anything on that! lol

Critical seemed to have taken fire in the scene the last couple years, but I don't really see why. I've run a few Critical crosses, and haven't been 100% happy about them yet. Matter of fact, I'm going to start leaning away from things with Critical crossed in. I'm just done (I had a bunch of Critical HOG, and it's the worst meds I've ever consumed.)

Everything I've ever touched with Kush involved has been phenomenal. So don't blame the Kush in my opinion, blame the Critical! :aok: :D

i thought the critical kush from barneys was pretty good stuff mine was short and bulky with buds the pinapple express i got from barneys out grow my tent in like five weeks way stretchy your plants do look good though and healthy.

Very interesting.. I have 5x G13 Pineapple Express and 1x Tangilope going in a 4.5 x 4.5 with two 600w HPS right now, and am going to be flipping any day now. I'm waiting for them to grow tall enough, and they seem everything but stretchy.

I did a bunch of reading and it seems the G13 version is legit PE. :vap-Bong_smoker:

I did a bunch of reading and it seems the G13 version is legit PE. :vap-Bong_smoker:

What does that even mean?? If they came out with the seeds then why wouldn't they be legit? and it was in high times years ago that PEx is just a reversed pineapple pheno C99... also the breeder pic that's used at Attitude is a stolen pic of a random plant from IC mag...

Ive grown out 4-5 PEx from seed and 2 def were keepers... one was the best yielder and crazy pineapple sweet taste smell & the other reeked like ruby red grapefruit juice but didn't yield quiet so well... no matter what you should def find a keeper... :banana:

What does that even mean?? If they came out with the seeds then why wouldn't they be legit?

No clue, just going from what I've read. ;)

I got the one from the most reputable scenarios of findings along my way. :aok:

Latest posts

Back