Battery back up.....UPS or generator?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bombtombadll

Reaction score
Hi all, does anyone use a generator or UPS to keep their grow rooms up during power outages? I'm using a light that draws less than 100 watts and am thinking a UPS might keep everything running if the power goes out.

I'm a low odor stealth grower and can't afford to have my fan and carbon filter go out during flower!

For a generator you need to keep the float bowl drained and fresh fuel and oil every 6-12 months, even if you dont use it. But almost no learning curve. Fire it up plug stuff in.

Personally I would go with a used car battery from your pick a part or battery mart and a harbor freight 1000w power inverter. Look for a battery with the highest amp hour rating.

100 amp hour 12v battery will in theory run 10 amps or 1000 watts for an hour at 120v. So 100 watt 4” vortex fan for 10 hours.

To charge it you can get a quality 12v trickle charger like a battery tender for $30 or less. If your power is out longer you have bigger issues then just stink, so a generator or more batteries and a few solar panels would be ideal.

For a generator you need to keep the float bowl drained and fresh fuel and oil every 6-12 months, even if you dont use it. But almost no learning curve. Fire it up plug stuff in.

Personally I would go with a used car battery from your pick a part or battery mart and a harbor freight 1000w power inverter. Look for a battery with the highest amp hour rating.

100 amp hour 12v battery will in theory run 10 amps or 1000 watts for an hour at 120v. So 100 watt 4” vortex fan for 10 hours.

To charge it you can get a quality 12v trickle charger like a battery tender for $30 or less. If your power is out longer you have bigger issues then just stink, so a generator or more batteries and a few solar panels would be ideal.

Thanks, I'll research the car battery and inverter. My computer UPS's might work, but I'm not sure if there is a way to turn off the beeping sound when they are in use.

Latest posts

Back