Be Careful Who You Purchase Seeds From!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McMurphy

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago, I purchased some seeds from The Single Seed Centre. I had never done business with them before, but they came recommended in a forum (maybe even this one) and I liked their prices.

Anyway, I purchased ten AK-48 seeds for right around $70. (which included guaranteed shipping). I got my seeds in 6 days, which is incredibly fast, BUT... and there's always a "BUT", isn't there?...only 4 of the seeds were viable. I waited a few more days, but to no avail. After a week, I was kinda pissed.

Well, I contacted them yesterday, explaining how 6 of the seeds had gotten crushed in the mail, as their policy states "any email mentioning germination, growing, etc. will be ignored". The response I received this morning not only made me regret doing business with them, it made me want to warn others.

They requested that I send a photo of the crushed seeds, which is easy enough to do, and they would give me a discount on a future purchase.

Now why on Earth would I want to buy more seeds from them when they screwed me on the first order? :hairpull:

My biggest complaint here is I have done business with other companies who have replaced their non-viable seeds. It happen to be twice over the years... and both times I received fresh seeds to replace the ones that didn't sprout. These companies stand behnd their product...

So how come The Single Seed Centre can't do this? :confused2:

Now I'm not saying these people ripped me off, even though I feel like they did. I'm simply issuing a warning you that they don't stand behind their product - which makes me wonder if the AK-48 seeds that did germinate are some strain of Mexican Ditch Weed.

The moral of the story is be careful who you do business with.... and don't believe everything you read on the internet...especially positive company reviews cause it's most likely them. :aok:

Sorry you had that happen to you. I have had a different experience. I have ordered many times from them and never had a problem. I wonder if you would feel differently if they gave you a big credit with your next (that's not gonna happen) order. I have heard of other seed companies being hard to deal with as well.

Bummer for you.

be a little bit more persistent, maybe they reconsider, as they sounded somewhat positive, they might want to please you to get you ordering again. i would definitely email them again

Yeah that what zem said...I think they will try to make it right. Lots of people use them...:)

I thank you guy for welcoming me. I do appreciate it. I will take your advise and email them one more time and see how they respond, then I'll come back and update this thread. Hopefully they will make me retract this post... which I would really like to do.

Thanks again!!!:aok:

Did you actually plant the crushed seeds? Were they actually crushed or just not viable? I would have advised not planting them if they were crushed and contacting the company immediately. One of the problems with companies trying to compensate those who have seeds not germ is that so many people do something wrong that causes the seeds not to sprout. It is virtually impossible for them to know those who germinated correctly and had problems and those that didn't have any idea what they were doing--too wet, too dry, too hot, too cold, buried too deep, planted in hot medium, damaged transferring from paper towel to medium, etc.

I have also have very good experiences with Single Seed Centre. Hope you get this resolved.

Well, after my last post I sent them an email which included a photo of the crushed seeds,
which in reality were just seeds that wouldn't germinate, doing everything they requested and now they won't respond to my email.

It's looking more and more like The Single Seed Centre is a less then upstanding business to do business with. They also censor their reviews, meaning no dissatisfied customer(s) will ever be heard.

I'm giving them one final chance to respond and then I'm contacting my bank to dispute the charges.

I'm really trying to be patient here. I just want what I paid for.

Did you actually plant the crushed seeds? Were they actually crushed or just not viable? I would have advised not planting them if they were crushed and contacting the company immediately. One of the problems with companies trying to compensate those who have seeds not germ is that so many people do something wrong that causes the seeds not to sprout. It is virtually impossible for them to know those who germinated correctly and had problems and those that didn't have any idea what they were doing--too wet, too dry, too hot, too cold, buried too deep, planted in hot medium, damaged transferring from paper towel to medium, etc.

I have also have very good experiences with Single Seed Centre. Hope you get this resolved.

I understand what you're saying, but believe me... I know how to germinate seeds. I've only been at this for 17 years now.

The thing is situations change. What once may have been a fine, upstanding company starts experiencing financial difficulties...or a change in management or ownership.... and the down-hill slide commences.

I'm really trying to give these people every opportunity.....

IF it was crushed seeds, I think your beef is with the shipping company, not so much the seed bank. Depending on the packaging ect.. I've had items damaged in the mail, and all you can realllly do is file a complaint with the shipping company. If it came from overseas and was handed off to multiple shipping companies there is no way to know which company damaged the parcel.

Well, after my last post I sent them an email which included a photo of the crushed seeds,
which in reality were just seeds that wouldn't germinate, doing everything they requested and now they won't respond to my email.

It's looking more and more like The Single Seed Centre is a less then upstanding business to do business with. They also censor their reviews, meaning no dissatisfied customer(s) will ever be heard.

I'm giving them one final chance to respond and then I'm contacting my bank to dispute the charges.

I'm really trying to be patient here. I just want what I paid for.

what do you mean "charges"? what options do you have if they don't respond to you?

IF it was crushed seeds, I think your beef is with the shipping company, not so much the seed bank. Depending on the packaging ect.. I've had items damaged in the mail, and all you can realllly do is file a complaint with the shipping company. If it came from overseas and was handed off to multiple shipping companies there is no way to know which company damaged the parcel.

If they smashed they weren't good seeds, would you guys agree with that? I had three seeds not germinate. I found them and crushed them. So i went back to the bag and found 3 blacker hard seeds that I couldn't crush.. I think they will germinate. My point is, if you can crush a seed that is packed like they pack it, it wasn't a good seed. JMO

I thought seedbanks didnt discuss germination issues

I thought the op crushed them after planting?

from SSC web site

We sell seeds strictly as souvenir, novelty items only. If we believe you have purchased or intend to purchase seeds with the intention of germinating or growing them, we will refuse all future business from you. This is the law.

:confused2:Why buy from a place that's against growing what they sell in the first place. But then again all the seed sellers have just about the same disclaimer.

I understand what you're saying, but believe me... I know how to germinate seeds. I've only been at this for 17 years now.

The thing is situations change. What once may have been a fine, upstanding company starts experiencing financial difficulties...or a change in management or ownership.... and the down-hill slide commences.

I'm really trying to give these people every opportunity.....

While I understand what you are trying to say, seedbanks simply cannot take someone's word that the seeds were germinated correctly. Or that the planter is experienced. Unfortunately there are a lot of dishonest people who would lie to get free seeds. I understand that you are angry, but I cannot say that I believe that the seedbanks should be sending new seeds to everyone who has (or claims) poor germination. I have never had a bad experience with Single Seed Centre.

Well, I did exactly as I they told me. I never mentioned anything about growing or germination. I took the advise of some of you and contacted them several more times (twice) and I included the photo they requested... and they are ignoring my emails. What does that sound like to you?

Situations change. Staff. Management. Ownership. What once may have been a fine group to do business with can change quickly.

It's obvious to me that this is a less then honorable company and I would recommend you avoiding purchasing from them. There are simply too many honest seed banks to risk it.

PURCHASE FROM THE SINGLE SEED CENTRE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

McMurphy out.

While I understand what you are trying to say, seedbanks simply cannot take someone's word that the seeds were germinated correctly. Or that the planter is experienced. Unfortunately there are a lot of dishonest people who would lie to get free seeds. I understand that you are angry, but I cannot say that I believe that the seedbanks should be sending new seeds to everyone who has (or claims) poor germination. I have never had a bad experience with Single Seed Centre.

Well, I have... and I'm warning others about it.

I have done business with other banks without issues... including one who actually DID replace non-viable seeds. But they seem to have disappeared.

Since they are willing to give you a discount on your next order, why not try one more order? You might get a pretty good discount. Six out of ten cracked, maybe you just got a bad batch.... :)

Latest posts

Back