Beef Jerkey

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A deli slicer will be your friend!

I like the premade recipe packs that Cabela's sells that you add water to. It's easy to spice em up a bit with some chile powder :) I prefer to use top round

I made a batch the other day that was supposed to be sweet and spicy. Not sweet enough for me. Spicy as hell though because I used some ghost pepper flakes. A lot of ‘em. If I make it again, I will double up the brown sugar in the marinade. It did get sweeter after a couple of days but didn’t knock it out of the park…

This is the recipe I used.

https://stellanspice.com/sweet-spicy-beef-jerky/
I improvised. I didn’t use grapefruit juice. I just used double the amount of OJ. I also didn’t use habaneros because I figured the ghost pepper flakes would be hot enough. Habanero flavor would have been nice though.

My dehydrator was not purchased to make jerky but I needed that as a cover story…

I made a batch the other day that was supposed to be sweet and spicy. Not sweet enough for me. Spicy as hell though because I used some ghost pepper flakes. A lot of ‘em. If I make it again, I will double up the brown sugar in the marinade. It did get sweeter after a couple of days but didn’t knock it out of the park…

This is the recipe I used.

https://stellanspice.com/sweet-spicy-beef-jerky/
I improvised. I didn’t use grapefruit juice. I just used double the amount of OJ. I also didn’t use habaneros because I figured the ghost pepper flakes would be hot enough. Habanero flavor would have been nice though.

My dehydrator was not purchased to make jerky but I needed that as a cover story…
Any photos on how it turned out? If not, next time!!!?

90C46126-A6B5-4A7C-904B-D8E849AD5DC8.jpeg

My jerky is legendary. I make all mine out of deer meat, though.
I have used an oven, I have used smokers.
Dehydrator works better than anything.
I used to half freeze it, not solid, but enough to make it firm, then run it through a meat slicer.
Now, I much prefer to grind it, then run it through a jerky shooter.
The curing salt is the most important ingredient, all other spices are added for individual taste.

I used to half freeze it, not solid, but enough to make it firm, then run it through a meat slicer.
The curing salt is the most important ingredient, all other spices are added for individual taste.
What is your recipe? I used eye of round. Trimmed as much of the fat as I could but next time would go to a butcher instead of a sh!tty grocery store. I also cut the beef too thick I think and would cut it into smaller pieces next time(the recipe leaves the sliced beef intact). The dehydration took a lot longer than I felt it should because the slices were anywhere from a quarter inch to 3/8” thick and probably 3” in diameter. I would also use more liquid smoke and sugar(as I said above) or maybe honey or maple syrup.

Robinsons makes good jerky. It's to damn hard on my teeth though unless I get the softer one. I'm 67 and still have most my teeth and would like to keep them.🤪
Only thing holding them in is plaque.😁

Robinsons makes good jerky. It's to damn hard on my teeth though unless I get the softer one. I'm 67 and still have most my teeth and would like to keep them.🤪
Only thing holding them in is plaque.😁
You get enough jerky jammed in between your teeth, and that will hold them in place better.

Deer Meat is Great as long as you cut all Fat off, deer fat taste horrible.

Any beef jerky makers here? I am thinking of making some for the first time. been all over youtube. Might even sell it at my shows!
Any advice would be appreciated.
I happen to be making jerky today. I slice the beef and marinade it overnight in a mixture of A1 Steak Sauce, a lot of ground black pepper and a little ground sea salt. Then I place on the dehydrator grids and dry at 160 degrees for about 5-6 hours. I generally use London Broil or round steak and cut off any fat. I’ve also added “liquid smoke” seasoning which added a nice smoky aroma.

IMG_9251.jpeg

Latest posts

Back