Beginner First GDP Grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
102 days from seed germination, I cut down this beautiful plant. Following behind her are 9 of her potential GDP clones. Determined this the best time to cut based on fellow growers average consensus, actual plant age, visual appearance as it progressed, and finally 30%+ ambler trichome development. I cut plant into 6 main sections. Two pieces per hanger and into a 2x2x48 tent. After a full day, hygrometer reads 47RH & 75% F. Will dry for 10-12 days? Snap test will tell. Wide mouth large Ball curing jars are ready :)
I have no idea what this one plant will yield but once dried and cured I'll follow up with weigh in! No matter the outcome, I'm already very pleased and lucky to get it this far man.

I've improved lighting for current grow with a second spider farmer light to veg tent for combined pulling 300W in 4x2x60

Updates soon!
IMG_9951.jpg

IMG_9961.jpg

IMG_9952.jpg

IMG_9954.jpg

IMG_9955.jpg

IMG_9959.jpg

Winter here obviously, low humidity. After 5 or 6 days mine was drier than I anticipated. Some was in mid 60s RH once jarred, other parts high 70s. I usually wet trim and thought I would hang dry one, then trim. They hung in 2 x 4 tent, with infinity fan on 1. 40 RH, 68°.

Bubba

102 days from seed germination, I cut down this beautiful plant. Following behind her are 9 of her potential GDP clones. Determined this the best time to cut based on fellow growers average consensus, actual plant age, visual appearance as it progressed, and finally 30%+ ambler trichome development. I cut plant into 6 main sections. Two pieces per hanger and into a 2x2x48 tent. After a full day, hygrometer reads 47RH & 75% F. Will dry for 10-12 days? Snap test will tell. Wide mouth large Ball curing jars are ready :)
I have no idea what this one plant will yield but once dried and cured I'll follow up with weigh in! No matter the outcome, I'm already very pleased and lucky to get it this far man.

I've improved lighting for current grow with a second spider farmer light to veg tent for combined pulling 300W in 4x2x60

Updates soon!
View attachment 287430
View attachment 287431
View attachment 287432
View attachment 287433
View attachment 287434
View attachment 287435
Don’t completely rely on the snap test. Look at your buds and feel them Everyday. You don’t want them crunchy watch them everyday and jar them up when they are still a bit spongy. Better to have to take them out of the jar for more drying than put them in to dry. Just finished my first grow also GDP but I could have put them in a day earlier even if they weren’t snapping. Luckily my humidity in the jars have moved up to 60%. I like you also have clones from my first grow in the tent. Good luck with your dry/cure and with your clones

Thank You for messaging SubmarineGirl. Nice to learn others attempting and succeeding at GDP for first grow! Agreed and I'll be drying less time than expected. Some folks hitting sweet spot within 6 or 7 days then to curing jar. Best to ya and your baby clones!

Don’t completely rely on the snap test. Look at your buds and feel them Everyday. You don’t want them crunchy watch them everyday and jar them up when they are still a bit spongy. Better to have to take them out of the jar for more drying than put them in to dry. Just finished my first grow also GDP but I could have put them in a day earlier even if they weren’t snapping. Luckily my humidity in the jars have moved up to 60%. I like you also have clones from my first grow in the tent. Good luck with your dry/cure and with your clones
True. My plant that almost got too dry had stems that didn't yet snap.

But it is extremely dry now!

Bubba

Thank You for messaging SubmarineGirl. Nice to learn others attempting and succeeding at GDP for first grow! Agreed and I'll be drying less time than expected. Some folks hitting sweet spot within 6 or 7 days then to curing jar. Best to ya and your baby clones!
Yes Give them a light squeeze to check the bud everyday. These are my clones. Clones are way different to me. I hope you post your grow along the way so we can compare. Two of the six in the pic will have to go so they are in competition which four get to stay in the tent will choose at next transplant
2E339B55-5B3E-4CB9-96DF-BEF4D7EA979C.jpeg

smells like hay huh…..alfalfa or clover?….."………………jk

keep drying and curing , the hay smell will disappear when dried and cured properly

Mine usually looses that aroma in the jar as it drops from high 70's to low 60's. Then the flower's true smell begins breaking through.

The constant sweat/burp cycle rids the grassy smell. Unless it is already bone dry....

Bubba

Dry tent coming along OK? I guess. Day 4 of drying and still spongy. All of it smelling like hay? Yeah, more on the hay side. This is not smelling anything like any sort of weed. ***!?! Hmm...

View attachment 287658
May GDP has a very mellow smell not at all like the GG#4 I grew with it which had a crazy smell when drying and in the jars when I burn them. The GDP tho does have a milder smell and taste imo. But i would not call it hay. I think the smell will change after it’s in the jars a couple days.

Thanks for your input SubmarineGirl! Checked this morning and smell has dissipated a bit. I watch my hygrometer and that RH likes to drop to 40 % and I turn the humidifier on until it hits 65% then check again in couple of hours and repeat.
On subject of drying tent RH, who uses a controller to maintain RH when away for a few hours?

Attachments

• Aircare.jpeg
    Aircare.jpeg
    22.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
A couple of hours into the adjustment and I'm maintaining steady 53-55RH. Had to rig the setup with open intake on side of tent and humidifier on floor and set on lowest setting while aimed at intake with circulating carbon filter fan on medium. The one gallon humidifier can go all day. Will check hourly to make sure it doesn't go higher but last couple of hours have been a pretty good indicator until next stage of improvement. Will be sealing off this little closet that holds drying tent and raising closet room RH to 55-60% during drying. I found the intake is enough to raise RH to 50-55%.
IMG_9996.JPG

Thanks for your input SubmarineGirl! Checked this morning and smell has dissipated a bit. I watch my hygrometer and that RH likes to drop to 40 % and I turn the humidifier on until it hits 65% then check again in couple of hours and repeat.
On subject of drying tent RH, who uses a controller to maintain RH when away for a few hours?
I did the same thing turning the humidifier off and on on my dry area also cracking the window trying to maintain the 60/60 thing. I also have had good luck raising the humidity in my grow tent by running the humidifier outside the tent in the room with a few vents open on the tent

For first 2 days, my drying tent had hovered around 40RH/73F, not ideal parameters in or out of tent while drying. Heck, I'd rather keep it simple and do less during the grow. Consensus seems to be 60RH/60ish temp. For those drying with average 60/60, better drying time and certainly less chance of over drying before curing. I'm resolving this humidity issue by sealing off that little closet space with a walkthrough plastic magnetic curtain since its an open space. Whenever RH needs to be adjusted, I'll simply dial in the humidifier and closet space to percentage which takes care of the tent. Parameters are looking great this morning and buds are spongy :) All good fun in pursuit of slow and steady drying.

Last edited:
Okay, let's all ugly cry together hollering "It F'n worked! It F'n worked!"
4.3oz./122g. into the jars today. Yes, that hay smell went away last couple of days. Trimmed but I really like a little bit of leaf on my buds so I did. Jars smelling different and much improved! Can't believe I got this far with this first grow but OH SO VERY GRATEFUL! I appreciate everyone's input and suggestions along the way! Ya'll have been very patient with me and rock solid wonderful. Will follow up soon with ongoing curing, upcoming smoke, and next harvest.

IMG_0011.jpg

Really pleased with size of larger pieces. Actually, can't believe it's here...

IMG_0014.jpg

Thinks are looking good in here. Nice work and great advise.

I don't like boveda packs. I still do it the old fashioned way. Touch a smell. To me boveda changes the taste. Just me. Others swear by them.

Latest posts

Back