beginner grower having troubles please help.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilprofess

Reaction score
So I recently decided to grow my own bud rather then dealing with middle men who rip you off and such. So I began by doing some research and germinating my 9 seeds in a wet paper towel and within 3 days I have 3 sprouts and a week later the rest sprout. So I quickly get some soil which is made to neutralize ph levels to better help me out on my starting garden. For the first two weeks they are growing and a beautifully luscious green and I am happy and believing this will be easier then I thought. But as time continues and heading onto the third week I noticed slight drooping and yellowing and some browning spots and begin to immediately browse the Web for answers and find both ph levels could be wrong but since my soil is ph neutral I quickly dismissed that, so all that left was nuts level. So I tried raising all my lamps to slow or successfully stop the edge of the plant rolling up and it helped a bit but a lot of my plants are still browning and only one is just beautiful and now it has a brown dot. I'm confused because they all received the exact same care and method but yet this healthy one was the youngest and grew the most. Please give me some help. I water when groundiss dry up to the first knuckle and have a drain system to drain out excess water with a rope dipping into the water to carry it back into the soil when needed. Yesterday I got my hands on some 10-15-10 Schultz liquid plant food and used it last night to see If it was my lack of nute. If u have suggestions or questions ask and I will give my best info back. P.s I have photos of set up and plants

We need photos if you can and we need info. What soil are you in? What lights are you using?

Schultz is great for african violets but not cannabis. The NPK is not right for cannabis, it can burn.
We will help you, let us know more stuff.

Yes, growing cannabis is not like other plants. Cannabis has very specific needs and wants and takes quite a while--i.e. there is a reason that it is expensive. A proper grow room is expensive to set up, you need the correct soil and nutrients, and it takes about 4 months.

As Rosebud said, we need far more info on your grow to be able to help you. And a picture is worth a thousand words. So if you can get some pics up, that is even better.

I'm not sure that it is a good idea to have something wicking runoff back to the plant. We usually let the run-off sit for a few minutes in the tray and then discard what the plant does not wick up right away. Nutrient solution cannot just sit in a tray with aeration.

your plants might be hungry. pics are needed for sure

Your babies look like that because they are in miracle grow.

Gosh, when I see miracle grow potting mix with a NPK, I just never see good results. My advice is to quickly replant them in some Fox Farms Light Warrior, it is for seedlings. Quit with that wicking thing, and learn how to water. Feel how heavy the pots are when dry, thoroughly water, let the medium get back to that weight before you water again. I always wish everyone the greenest of mojo, you included. I just think there are some things that can be done to improve your success. :)

One key thing to remember....and trust me I know from killing or hermy'ing my own baby's, is PH is like god to these things.

The brown spots are most likely from a nutrient deficiency caused by the PH being off.

You may have started with a good PH...but the second those nutes get added..well your PH is now different than what it was. I tried testing soil PH over and over again....it never worked for me. I got a bluelabs PH pen...PH'd the water I was using AFTER adding nutes (using PH up or down)....and what a world of a difference it made.

No more gnarly looking leaves with brown spots....search a grow of mine if you want.....you will find many many pics of what it sounds lke you are going through.

I appreciate all the info you have all given. By chance can you recommend some nute to use for growing for veg and flowering

Those seedlings are gonna get fed everytime you water because of the Nuted MG,,not sure they are gonna likey having thier butts burnt up.

Rose and hopper and 100% correct.....MG = very complex issues for MJ plants.

I would try coir and a simple line of nutes. Coir has no nutes, it is basically just a medium for roots to grow in and around.

Then just pick which nutes you want to use and add in as needed. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions regarding fox farm or general organics..as I have used those the most.

The only stupid question is the one not asked my friend... best of luck and green mojo to you sir!

Like Rosebud, soil with nutes does not work--not good for seedlings and not good for growing plants. And I am trying to discourage everyone from using Miracle
Grow products. Monsanto is destroying the earth and poisoning people around the globe and they do not care as long as the bucks keep rolling in.

Neutral pH is not what you want. Cannabis likes soil that is slightly acidic--6.2 to about 6.8. However at the stage your plants are at, it is most likely a result of the MG soil having nutes....and the soil just does not look that great for any stage of growth.

I find coco coir hard to work with and to keep the moisture levels good. Fro a new grower, I would try to stay with something like the Fox Farm that Kraven mentioned.

What is the wattage and spectrum of the lights you are using? How large is your space? Two CFLs are probably only going to be enough light for a couple of weeks and then you are going to need way way more.

Poor babies, more plant abuse caused by Miracle Grow.

Get them out of there and into some new dirt, then hope for the best bro. Try to get rid of as much Miracle Grow soil as you can without damaging the roots, and move them into some un-nuted soil.

You are overwatering let the completely dry almost til they wilt then give them clean pure water and repeat wet dry cycles very dry cuz u have root rot

U should not be feeding any nutes in water when u have plants in miracle grow soil u have deficiencies from over feeding and overwatering the plants use very little water and nutes under cfls so let them dry then plain water there's no quick fix just let them dry all the way down to make the plants search for water in turn adding growth so be patient

Latest posts

Back