Beginner grower needs advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marlboro

Reaction score
Hey everyone I am trying to grow my first plants and I need a little help and advice! So far I have put the seeds in moist paper towels for germination and half of them have begun to sprout. I put the sprouted seeds in some scotts potting soil and watered them it is now day 2. I have some questions on the process of vegetation and flowering.
First can I use a fluorescent light bought from home depot made for plants and aquariams? Im unsure of the wattage on it. Also how close should i keep the light from the plants. They are planted in plastic cups at the moment until they are ready to transferred.
When should I transfer them to bigger pots?
2. When should I begin to feed it nutrients and where and what kind of nutrients should i use?
3. how do i make sure my plants grow up to be healthy and potent?
4. If anyone could make share their methods with me step by step that would be awesome!
If anyone has any advice that I could benefit off of please dont hesitate to say it. Buying is now becoming to expensive and since i have started this project I am very excited about it and cant wait to see the outcome.

Hey Marlboro, here's a link to a great grow guide right here on this site.

CLICK HERE and scroll down some. It would be in your best interests to buy a good grow guide as well. Barnes and Nobles has several in stock right in the store or you can buy them online.

The basics and some advanced methods can be found that way and anything you don't understand, *then* ask specific questions. There is way too much to know to start at the beginning for each member. Most of the work is reading, reading, and more reading. There isn't much sense in our typing it for you when it's readily available in hundreds of places for you to just read.

Good luck man. Let us know which one you get.

I have germinated half of my seeds and planted them under 24 hrs of light it is day 3 now. I have a question on how the plants begin to sprout out of the soil if the plant is not growing up right but is slanted will this be a problem?

The new seedlings will direct themselves directly toward the light when they break ground. Make sure your light isn't too close. You really don't need any light until after they break ground.

Advice...

remember your mistakes.
if it seems like you're not adding enough fertilizer...its probably actually already too much.
put your initial efforts toward creating an ideal environment for your plants.
plan ahead.
become one with the thing called patience.
remember your successes.

~tokes~

I planted my seeds in Scotts potting soil made for seed hatching with phosphorus from home depot but im wondering if i should switch soils what do you guys think? I was also trying to figure out when should i transfer the plants into bigger pots? I know they tell you when its about 18-24 cm tall but is this accurate? I was planning on transferring them when they were about at least 6 inches high what do you guys think? When should i also start the light cycle 18/6when the plant sprouts out of the soil?ANd does anybody know where i can buy pete's fertilizer, better soil, and light fixtures i want quality items and am I willing to pay for it. When should i start the 18/6 light cycle?

I write here, becouse it will be my first growing indoor:)I am making box:62x62 spread, 2400cm high.It`s enough place to 4-5 plants?I have 250w sodium lamp?What do you think?Thankyou for advices.

Latest posts

Back