Beginning covert outdoor grow in N.E.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have not posted in a while. Here are some pics of the current state of this years grow. I have Maui Wowie, Purple Urkle, Banana OG, Blueberry and Girl Scout Cookies going.

how was the harvest?

did that Maui wowie ever finish?

Looks better than that dispensery weed. You never know what you're smoking when it comes to dispensery weed. No one regulates what the grower uses... and since it's an open market for that top shelf, you can guarantee that they're pumping their weed full of those nasty hormones. (Carcinogenic pgr's)..(learned that from this awesome website) Your herb looks absolutely great big guy!
I finished my first grow very successfully in my mind. I harvested 8 plants of 3 different strains equaling just over 3lbs. cured. The look of it is definitely different then dispensary flower. Not sure what, if anything that I can do about that. Or even if I care to. The smoke is great from all three. Dispensaries will only be needed for travel and maybe some hash. I am thinking about doing the bubble hash but not looking for the additional work. It was a good deal of work but very enjoyable. Thanks to all who answered my early questions. I am almost done with a small greenhouse to up the anty some. Looking to create the garden to bowl experience, like farm to table but...
View attachment 288451View attachment 288452View attachment 288453View attachment 288454

how was the harvest?

did that Maui wowie ever finish?
The Maui finished very well. The Purple Urkle is still not finished. The two that are in pots got moved into the greenhouse to see if they will finish. The yield will be small on the Purple Urkle. I would not recommend it for an outdoor grow in the Northeast. They were all started inside under grow lights so I am assuming my climate and light is not great for the P.U. The Girl Scout Cookies plant (1 only) looked really good at harvest.

Looks better than that dispensery weed. You never know what you're smoking when it comes to dispensery weed. No one regulates what the grower uses... and since it's an open market for that top shelf, you can guarantee that they're pumping their weed full of those nasty hormones. (Carcinogenic pgr's)..(learned that from this awesome website) Your herb looks absolutely great big guy!
My issue with last years harvest was not so much the quality of the smoke, I am happy with it but definately would like better, I would like denser buds. I do not know if I am curing it improperly or if outdoor bud is just never going to be that dense dispensery flower. I hang in an outdoor building for a week and brown bag for another 5-7 days until humidity levels are low enough to jar. Burp jars for a few weeks until humidity hits 65 or so. Any ideas for this years cure?

My issue with last years harvest was not so much the quality of the smoke, I am happy with it but definately would like better, I would like denser buds. I do not know if I am curing it improperly or if outdoor bud is just never going to be that dense dispensery flower. I hang in an outdoor building for a week and brown bag for another 5-7 days until humidity levels are low enough to jar. Burp jars for a few weeks until humidity hits 65 or so. Any ideas for this years cure?
Indoors you can really dial it in, giving the plant just about exactly what it needs. Outdoors, you're battling everything, and I mean everything. You can't do anything about a cloudy day. Just make sure your curing is nice and climate controlled. Buds tend to tighten up a little then also. There's always next season to apply all your gained knowledge.

Question. So I used a round bud spinner/trimmer contraption which did not seem to do much but leave behind a small amount of trim and stem material, as well as a bunch of what I assume to be trichomes. It looks like pollen. Is this knocked off trichomes? What should I do with it?

Attachments

• IMG_0674.jpg
    IMG_0674.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 0
Question. So I used a round bud spinner/trimmer contraption which did not seem to do much but leave behind a small amount of trim and stem material, as well as a bunch of what I assume to be trichomes. It looks like pollen. Is this knocked off trichomes? What should I do with it?
Iā€™d smoke it šŸ˜Š

Last edited:
You could use a mesh strainer to filter out the leaf material then you will have some nice keif. And as subby said, smoke it.

Question: Do you carry on growing one or two genetic strains? I have only had two outdoor grows with maybe 10 different strains. I have purchased feminized photo period seeds from different seed backs over the last couple of years. Some I definately like better then others mainly on how the plant grows. I am sure this has a lot to do with my climate, soil, nutrients, etc. I like growing a variety of strains but would also like to grow one or two strains year after year. I could figure out which strains grow and work the best and carry those forward. How do you think the best approach would be?

Question: Do you carry on growing one or two genetic strains? I have only had two outdoor grows with maybe 10 different strains. I have purchased feminized photo period seeds from different seed backs over the last couple of years. Some I definately like better then others mainly on how the plant grows. I am sure this has a lot to do with my climate, soil, nutrients, etc. I like growing a variety of strains but would also like to grow one or two strains year after year. I could figure out which strains grow and work the best and carry those forward. How do you think the best approach would be?
I have had repeated good results with Bruce Banner, up here in Boston.

I would grow what you want to. I have had as many as 4 strains going in one tent or as few as a single strain. I like variety and donā€™t consume much so I can afford to grow something new and/or unknown as I still have buds from several years ago to fall back on (in addition to newer stuff). My most recent grows were an oddity(Freakshow-which I like and is a very different peppy buzz) and a cross I made a couple of years ago(Triple Grape x Triple Lemon-which I also enjoy but is more of a normal buzz).

I started seeds for this years outdoor grow. This year I will be growing Godfather OG, Chiquita Banana, Baked Apple and Purple Haze. All photo period. Seeds are from Growers Choice. I had good luck with them in the past. I had 7 non-germinate so that kind of sucks. I put a call in to Growers Choice to see if I could get replacement seeds. We will see the outcome. Growing in Ocean Forest soil. I have used this soil for the last two grows and it has worked for me. I appreciated everyones help on my previous grows.
IMG_0878.jpg

I did learn that there is no need to rush them outdoors/outdoors. They will go into the greenhouse with supplemental light once the night temps come up enough. Then outside when the supplemental light is no longer needed. I will plant some directly into the soil again this year. Last years non potted plants did very well and take less water/nutes.

What do you think is going on with these two Godfather OG plants? Seed popped on 4/10. They are in FF soil and only given water. Under a good grow light for 16hrs. with a heat mat under. They will all go outside in a few weeks. The other Purple Haze were popped at the same time and are doing great. It may just be that the FF soil is indeed too hot for seedlings as most of you have stated. Next time but for now I would like to revive these two. Calmag? My water is straight from the well and when I tested it a few years ago it was ok. Probably should check that again.

Attachments

• IMG_0978.jpg
    IMG_0978.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0977.jpg
    IMG_0977.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0976.jpg
    IMG_0976.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0975.jpg
    IMG_0975.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0974.jpg
    IMG_0974.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 0
They shouldnā€™t need a heating mat at this point. The root zone prefers it to be cool. Well water pH can vary depending on a lot of things but this time of year in the northern hemisphere, with snow melt and spring rain, pH could be anywhere.

Looks thirsty and too hot from heating pad. They definitely don't like hot roots. I'd say Monkey is also correct. Roots are needing room to grow. Time to up pot into a much larger container.

Latest posts

Back