Beginning covert outdoor grow in N.E.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
25 gallon pots are huge!! Last year I went from 5 gallons to 17 gallons and I never saw any big growth or root difference between the two after pulling the plants and examining everything. I had plants over 6 foot tall, lush, green, with big buds. The only thing about the smaller pots is the wind will blow them over.

I feel a consistent water and nutrient schedule is key. This year I went to 7 gallon pots. I say this because pots and nutes are $. PH is key is the key for quick growth and use a cal/mag supplement, a soil recharge nutrient. All the other nutes are plant specific and pretty easy to follow directions.

Sometimes I wish I lived in warmer climates and then I watch the news.

25 gallon pots are huge!! Last year I went from 5 gallons to 17 gallons and I never saw any big growth or root difference between the two after pulling the plants and examining everything. I had plants over 6 foot tall, lush, green, with big buds. The only thing about the smaller pots is the wind will blow them over.

I feel a consistent water and nutrient schedule is key. This year I went to 7 gallon pots. I say this because pots and nutes are $. PH is key is the key for quick growth and use a cal/mag supplement, a soil recharge nutrient. All the other nutes are plant specific and pretty easy to follow directions.

Sometimes I wish I lived in warmer climates and then I watch the news.
My Back sure knew when I tried the 25gallons out LOL
I stick with my 10gals and 7gals I plan to try some Autos out in.

Yes, 25 gallon pots are big! Wish I had purchased something around 15 gals. I will have to see how it goes. Hopefully they do not start to flower because of the change in light. I really kind of forced the move to outside too early because I started too early inside and they got too big and starting to smell to keep in the tent.
IMG_2843.JPGIMG_2844.JPGIMG_2845.JPGIMG_2846.JPGIMG_2847.JPGIMG_2840 (1).JPG

The one thing I do different than I've heard anyone else is that I am constantly trimming leaves and clearing the canopy so light can get everywhere. I have 10 weeks on veg now and today I switched to flower on my lights.

It was supposed to get below 32 degrees here last night with a thunderstorm before that so I was trying to figure out how to protect the plants. Decided to move them into the shed for the night. The 25 gal pots are a bear to lift. I moved one inside and was looking for another solution. I think that I found a great solution. Turns out a 55 gal garbage can fits perfectly inside my pot rims. I bet it was more comfy inside the can then in the shed. All of the plants have definitely slowed down in growth since they have been outside but the temps have not been that high and there is one way I could keep them all inside my grow tent, maybe I could have kept the small ones under lights but I wanted to just move everything outside at one time.
IMG_2846.JPG
White Widow in 25 gal pot
IMG_2856.JPG
OG Kush in back in 25gal
IMG_2855.JPG
Amnesia in comfy enclosure for the night.

+/- 59 days from soil pop for the big 3. I think we are past anymore freeze issues for weather here so this should be home. All 12 received FF nutes yesterday. Questions: 1. Do I just keep topping these outdoor plants?

IMG_2847.JPG

2. This is supposed to be an auto Candy Kush. It looks very funky. It had a stubborn shell. Is that all this is? I am going to let it grow and see how it develops.

IMG_2859.JPG

+/- 68 days from soil pop for the big 3. Here are some pics of the White Widow which is showing issues. No issues with the Amnesia or O.G. Kush. They are in 25 gal fabric pots with ff Ocean Forest soil and ff Big Bloom and Grow Big. Schedule is water, water, feed. Water is straight out of the well. Some of the damages are from heavy wind and rain a week ago possibly. Any ideas? Another question- Do I just keep "topping" these? Or do I stop at some point during Veg?
IMG_2902.JPGIMG_2903.JPGIMG_2904.JPGIMG_2905.JPG

+/- 69 days from soil pop for the big 3. Still looking for suggestions regarding my tipburn? on the White Widow and topping questions from yesterdays post. Adding another question to the list. For these outdoor plants how much trimming of the underbrush do you trim off, if any at this stage? I am in the Northeast so that is my weather conditions. All 12 plants have now begun to start showing some visible growth after getting settled from the move to outside permanently, a couple of moves into the shed because of freeze warnings, some harsh wind and rain, and the wait for consistent 70 degree days.
IMG_2914.JPGIMG_2912.JPGIMG_2910.JPG
Here is one of two Candy Kush Auto-flower
IMG_2915.JPG
Here is the other Candy Kush. Still stumbling along.
IMG_2918.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2919.JPG
    IMG_2919.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 3
25 gal pots?? My back started hurting the second I read that. Glad I am indoor and a 7 gal pot is to big for this old back. I will stick to 5.

Good job though arch. I agree on the pruning though.

+/- 75 days from soil pop for the big 3. For the most part all plants seem to be doing good. There has been no early flowering yet, hopefully I am out of the woods on that front. The growth rate has really varied among plants. I fed ff nutes yesterday. 2 gallons for each 25 gallon pot and about 3/4 gallon per 5 gallon pot. We have had a lot of rain lately so I have not had to water at all. Any thoughts my first time grow are welcome. I purchased a big jug of calmag thinking that I would need it but for the life of me I can't figure out if it would help. How do I measure for deficiencies? Overall the veggies and fruit trees are all coming along and the 2 beehives are buzzing.
IMG_2931.JPG

IMG_2921.JPG

I trimmed off some of the burned tips on the White Widow and a little trimming on the OG Kush and Amnesia but nothing but damaged leaves.
IMG_2928.JPG

IMG_2927.JPG

IMG_2926.JPG

IMG_2925.JPG

IMG_2924.JPG

IMG_2923.JPG

IMG_2922.JPG

This is the deformed other Candy Kush Auto that is still struggling along and showing some signs of normal growth.
img_2929-jpg.1122701

Looking good my friend. I have one of those wagons. Its a great wagon.

It was supposed to get below 32 degrees here last night with a thunderstorm before that so I was trying to figure out how to protect the plants. Decided to move them into the shed for the night. The 25 gal pots are a bear to lift. I moved one inside and was looking for another solution. I think that I found a great solution. Turns out a 55 gal garbage can fits perfectly inside my pot rims. I bet it was more comfy inside the can then in the shed. All of the plants have definitely slowed down in growth since they have been outside but the temps have not been that high and there is one way I could keep them all inside my grow tent, maybe I could have kept the small ones under lights but I wanted to just move everything outside at one time.
View attachment 272090White Widow in 25 gal pot
View attachment 272091OG Kush in back in 25gal
View attachment 272092Amnesia in comfy enclosure for the night.
You could try a two wheel dolly, extend the flat lift plate with 3/4 plywood. Cheap, easy, better for your back.

You could try a two wheel dolly, extend the flat lift plate with 3/4 plywood. Cheap, easy, better for your back.
thanks, I actually have a tractor but it is still a chore. I think that I will have to move them once more when we are going on vacation for 2 weeks in June and we will have someone staying at our house. I am going to tractor them into my back woods a tiny bit and wrap some deer fencing around them and hope for rain.

Yes, 25 gallon pots are big! Wish I had purchased something around 15 gals. I will have to see how it goes. Hopefully they do not start to flower because of the change in light. I really kind of forced the move to outside too early because I started too early inside and they got too big and starting to smell to keep in the tent.
View attachment 271583View attachment 271581View attachment 271580View attachment 271578View attachment 271577View attachment 271582
Just my opinion and i could be wrong. When you put your plants out side they will stay in veg until the 2nd week in August when the daylight goes below 14 1/2 hours a day.

This is my third year outside and each year i learn more. Last year my biggest pot was 15 gallons and 1 of my plants i called Proud Mary she was 10' 6. This year I'm thinking 25 is fine. It's my opinion that FF oceanic is a little hot so i'm gonna mix it with Happy Frog. I'm gonna pot my plants into 7 gal bags this weekend with 75% FF oceanic 25% FF Happy Frog. I may have to re-pot again in 10 gal pots for a couple of weeks until the 1st week in august then their gonna go into 25 gal bags with FF Strawberry Fields soil which will be 2 weeks before 14 1/2 hours of daylight for flower in Mass. I have 3 Black Widow and three Bruce Banner, Photosensitive Plants. I wanted all Black Widows this year but my wife over ruled me. Happy wife happy life so they say. Black Widow is resistant to powdery mildew and some critters. Powdery Mildew was my biggest problem last year around Sept. If all goes good i should be harvesting late October early Nov.

This is my plan for this year, one other thing as your plants grow they become sails in the wind, so I'm gonna tie them down. Not sure how just yet I'm thinking that cheap green wire fence that you can stack and give my plants support and to tie down.

How much soil is needed to fill a 25 gal bag?

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 11
+/- 82 days from soil pop for the big 3. Help needed to figure out what is wrong with this White Widow. It is in a 25 gallon fabric pot, in ff Ocean Forest soil, ff nutes and calmag. On a water, water, feed schedule. No other plants are showing any distress.
IMG_2948.JPG
IMG_2947.JPG

Latest posts

Back