Being detected ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hero4u2b

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Can law enforcement detect high levels of heat given off by HPS or even multiple high wattage CFL's. I hear of this and am wondering if I am getting paraniod.. ( after hearing a helicopter this morning fly over my place) and I am wondering what the facts are regarding this. I already can guess that if a home has multiple rooms with multiple 1000 watt lights then I would think that is easily detectable but what about a sinlge 600 watt or 1000 watt or even multiple CFLS. Thanks in advance. Hero

I wld bet you are fine....in the Spring and Summer I wld think it hard to tell heat signatures...maybe dead of winter and you are running 2 or 3 1000 watters in your attic it wld be a problem. This time of year till fall I wld bet they are more interested in discovering outdoor grows.
I know my state doesn't hve the money to spend on helicopters for the purpose of finding indoor grows.

Jmo

Well there was this helicopter that flew over my place this moorning.. I know it was probobly a traffic helicopter but also at the same time there was an artical I read in todays paper online.. Man I was thinking about chopping them.. I swear.. hxxp://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/crime/florida-is-no-1-for-marijuana-grow-houses-1542887.html

Hamster Lewis said:
I wld bet you are fine....in the Spring and Summer I wld think it hard to tell heat signatures...maybe dead of winter and you are running 2 or 3 1000 watters in your attic it wld be a problem. This time of year till fall I wld bet they are more interested in discovering outdoor grows.
I know my state doesn't hve the money to spend on helicopters for the purpose of finding indoor grows.

Jmo

Hammy, our state police are focused on getting Christie to all of his sons baseball games via helicopter come on! No time for actual police use lol

Hero im sure you're fine, is your attic insulated? Or do you have an attic over your room? Atleast for bigger grows and much more light I've read that a well insulated attic in the winter time can cover the heat up when looking at the house with a thermal camera

I am on the top floor of a condo..lol It is the 5th floor and I know my cieling is concrete but I get paranoid..seriously. I only have like 14- 42 watt CFLs but still I think about the consequences.. you guys with big grows must have nerves of steal I swear.. I know I will feel better later on in the day but I get paranoid,. Thanks Hero

hero4u2b said:
I am on the top floor of a condo..lol It is the 5th floor and I know my cieling is concrete but I get paranoid..seriously. I only have like 14- 42 watt CFLs but still I think about the consequences.. you guys with big grows must have nerves of steal I swear.. I know I will feel better later on in the day but I get paranoid,. Thanks Hero

Relax, you are being paranoid for no reason. I run 2 600s and never worry in the slightest. That equipment is expensive to run and they cannot be flying around looking for heat signatures less than a dryer or exhaust from a gas water heater puts out.

In addition, I have never even heard of anyone ever getting busted this way.

The pros got this one covered. However paranoia is the best thing to keep in your back pocket in this line of recreation. It will save you but do not ever let it control you. You weren't this paranoid when you went out and bout all those CFLs so why now? I understand you heard the chopper and read the article.
Hamster is right though. They are more worried about outdoor grows right now because they know the commercial growers use the seasons to full advantage to maximize profit.
What you would have to worry about right now would be if you have an outdoor crop that you visit and a chopper flies over with both green and red lights on it. Those will see you walking around the woods in the dark and they will know whats up.

As for indoor grows your biggest worry is a spike in electric which with CFL is not even possible unless you start running 40-50 bulbs on several circuits. Then it still prob wouldnt be enough, the thing to understand about spiking is not that all of a sudden your using more electricity, its the fact they can see the timing of your light and recognize the patterns, most specifically the 12/12 on perfect timing. They see these things. However they dont look at your elec bill all day long so unless your using alot of elec all of a sudden and then they check and see that they wont even have a clue.

SMELL. You said you live in a condo. Get exhaust. Get it now. But dont let others see it or ever be around it, unless its carbon scrubbed and no one sees it, and asks, hey whats that for? Im sorry if you already have that but in apartments and condos exhaust is what saves you and alot of times breaks you. I have seen growers in houses out in the residential communities using a 1000 watter, locked sealed room etc, his only mistake? He put the exhaust going out of the side of his house at below nose level. HIs carbon scrubber wasnt doing the greatest job, maybe its was old or poorly made but the landlord came over to get some things (out of the garage) they left at the house (it was rented) saw the exhaust he obviously didnt install and smelled the weed coming from it. The funniest thing was no one else lived with the guy so he didnt need to keep the inside from smelling that bad. The landlord never, and would have never came in supposedly.

So be paranoid but dont let it make a mess of illogical thoughts. The cost for them to fly that choppers over an entire jurisdiction even for one day a month would kill an already dying budget.

Technology like this is usually meant for the big fish.

14x 42 watt CFL's is less that 600 watts. That is going to generate less heat and use less electricity than a microwave, large TV, vacuum, dryer, large computer.....etc etc. You are going to be fine. Do not worry about getting busted by a heat signature.

-SSF-

i remember my first helio scare, i call it chopperitus::)

burner said:
Hammy, our state police are focused on getting Christie to all of his sons baseball games via helicopter come on! No time for actual police use lol

Hero im sure you're fine, is your attic insulated? Or do you have an attic over your room? Atleast for bigger grows and much more light I've read that a well insulated attic in the winter time can cover the heat up when looking at the house with a thermal camera

How can a helicopter even get off the ground with that tubbie loser in it?:D

Those tv programs you see where they show you a thermal image taken of a house with a grow in it always have a narrator saying something like "similar to this" or "coroborative evidence", in other words its all propaganja (lies, misdirections and half truths spoke about marijuana).

I dont know about the US, but here in Scotland, 7/10 busts are pure chance, a fire or something so someone calls the cops and they stumble upon a grow and the neighbours ALWAYS say "I had no idea until I saw the cops bringing a forest out of the house"
2/10 is people being grassed up.
1/10 is good police work.
Figures from the Scottish Crime and Drug Enforcement Agency show police have seized £41million worth of cannabis plants since 2006 and arrested 319 people.......... So in 5 years, there has been an average of 1.2 arrests per WEEK. The programs I have seen would have you believe you WILL get cought, the FACTS state something very different. I personally know around 15 people who grow and only 2 of those have ever been cought/prosecuted.

I know I am quoting Scotland but do you think it is that different in the rest of the Western world? The tv companies are the mouthpieces of governments in creating social order. The way programs make you think one thing when something completely different is the truth. Ask yourself this, how much of what you see in the media is the FULL UNSENSORED TRUTH? >1%?

Anyway, rant over, Dont worry unduly Hero, think things through logically, take correct precautions such as carbon filters and you should be ok. I run 2x 600W lights and because they are in cool tubes, the heat does not build up around the bulb so yes, there will be a heat signature but I doubt it would attract attention. The noise of the air pumps and smell on harvest days such as today would!!!!! This is my paranoid day, 20+ oz of fresh green smelly stuff hanging up.

Take a toke, smile and chill. W

Well I had to get out of the house and do some fishing yall... Thanks for the reassurments.. I swear thou I can get paranoid.. Thanks Hero

Dont know if this has been said but no, a couple 600's wont get their attention, they use a piece of equipment called F.L.I.R, i believe it means Forward Looking Infared Radar, it is an extremely expensive piece of equipment and not many police forces have it, and if they do they probably dont have the budget to get the chopper off the ground, the way fuel is today.

If it helps put anyones mind at ease i can tell you my police force does have FLIR, and their chopper lands and is stored 1/2 mile from my house, it flies over me numerous times a day for other reasons, ive never had an issue.

choppers are up there for many reasons incl. Medical Vac and traffic reports.

not challenging what you say about Scotland woody, but I've personally seen IR photos presented as evidence in a grow bust here in the states. the original search warrant used 3 things to justify the search: 1. that they had some windows blacked out (which supposedly meant they were hiding something), 2. that "plant material" was found in their trash (but no mention of what kind, how much, etc) and 3. that aerial IR photos showed a tangible heat signature from the roof of the house which did not match anyone in their neighborhood. i'm not saying that LEO does not use more propaganda (and lies) than reality, but in this case its a valid concern for >some< people.

but for the original poster - do not fear. #1 they do heat signature photos at night, not day, and your 600 is putting off a little more heat than a common entertainment center with tube TV, cable box and audio receiver sitting next to a 100 watt table lamp.

woodydude said:
Those tv programs you see where they show you a thermal image taken of a house with a grow in it always have a narrator saying something like "similar to this" or "coroborative evidence", in other words its all propaganja (lies, misdirections and half truths spoke about marijuana).

I dont know about the US, but here in Scotland, 7/10 busts are pure chance, a fire or something so someone calls the cops and they stumble upon a grow and the neighbours ALWAYS say "I had no idea until I saw the cops bringing a forest out of the house"
2/10 is people being grassed up.
Figures from the Scottish Crime and Drug Enforcement Agency show police have seized £41million worth of cannabis plants since 2006 and arrested 319 people.......... So in 5 years, there has been an average of 1.2 arrests per WEEK. The programs I have seen would have you believe you WILL get cought, the FACTS state something very different. I personally know around 15 people who grow and only 2 of those have ever been cought/prosecuted.

I know I am quoting Scotland but do you think it is that different in the rest of the Western world? The tv companies are the mouthpieces of governments in creating social order. The way programs make you think one thing when something completely different is the truth. Ask yourself this, how much of what you see in the media is the FULL UNSENSORED TRUTH? >1%?

Anyway, rant over, Dont worry unduly Hero, think things through logically, take correct precautions such as carbon filters and you should be ok. I run 2x 600W lights and because they are in cool tubes, the heat does not build up around the bulb so yes, there will be a heat signature but I doubt it would attract attention. The noise of the air pumps and smell on harvest days such as today would!!!!! This is my paranoid day, 20+ oz of fresh green smelly stuff hanging up.

Take a toke, smile and chill. W

FLIR has gotten a whole lot cheaper. you can trick out your boat with a tasty FLIR system for about $8k-$10 US, and handheld units (some are photo-capable) go for $2500. maybe a day to a week's gas for the chopper?

dman1234 said:
Dont know if this has been said but no, a couple 600's wont get their attention, they use a piece of equipment called F.L.I.R, i believe it means Forward Looking Infared Radar, it is an extremely expensive piece of equipment and not many police forces have it, and if they do they probably dont have the budget to get the chopper off the ground, the way fuel is today.

If it helps put anyones mind at ease i can tell you my police force does have FLIR, and their chopper lands and is stored 1/2 mile from my house, it flies over me numerous times a day for other reasons, ive never had an issue.

choppers are up there for many reasons incl. Medical Vac and traffic reports.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Relax, you are being paranoid for no reason. I run 2 600s and never worry in the slightest. That equipment is expensive to run and they cannot be flying around looking for heat signatures less than a dryer or exhaust from a gas water heater puts out.

In addition, I have never even heard of anyone ever getting busted this way.

:yeahthat: BUT :stuff-1125699181_i_

'They' can easily detect the heat signature of a person through a concrete block wall.:eek: Lights are a non issue, of course they can see them.:doh: They could probably tell if you flicked a Bic. LOL

But, like THG said, it ain't cheap to do it. You and I, and most others aren't worth the expense.

A big mouth is your biggest worry, not necessarily yours.

Wet

woodydude said:

I think I may actually take some overall global data on police grow raids and take a look at the info provided that led to discovery and graph it out. I am actually curious as to how much is true police work.

The funny thing is there really is no "good police work" that leads to arrests. There is no way for a police officer to know that you have plants growing inside your home unless you do something to lead them there.

This is why we have privacy of our homes and vehicles. We can do what we want and if we dont wish to get in trouble then we must treat our operation with respect and ourselves with respect. Be careful who you tell. Be careful how you deal with added smell, light signatures and elec spikes are not worth worry over unless you have multiple 1000 watters, running on multiple circuits, without some sort of tamper for your outside meter.

Almost reminds me of the episode of Weeds where they get the heat signature for their grow op and its a giant cross :holysheep: .

I know some of you have seen this.

But really dont worry about heat sigs.

im from the U.K and heat seeking helicopters are always flying over, usually no problem aslong as you dont have a **** load of lights or a shed outside that wouldnt usually be emitting heat you will be fine.

Latest posts

Back