Benefits of a greenhouse?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Roddy

OK, so I was reading Ston's post about plants getting bigger than planned (grow journal) and thinking it'd be cool to grow one outdoors except for the law's restrictions, possible pollen contamination etc (and never grown od). Then I got to thinking about a greenhouse...well, sort of. I have an upstairs deck off my master bedroom that could easily be converted to a glass room (greenhouse, more or less??), and am wondering the benefits to this over the cost.

I have builder friends, so cost of construction shouldn't be too bad, but I'm guessing a couple year's worth of electricity, at least, but the room could be used for growing as well as for relaxation (sitting in the bud room with a nice coffee and the paper/book comes to mind). Living in MI, a room would add to the grow season and all, but again, would it be worth it?

Any thoughts?

The first grows I ever did were in a greenhouse we built off our house in the early 80's just for this purpose. Things were a little different then though. How stealth do you believe that you can keep your grow in a greenhouse? I would never do it now in the same space.

As for size--our plants got HUGE. We kept bending them over and staking them down behind the tomatoes and peppers that were in front. I guess we were doing a little LST, but back then it was just trying to keep the plant hidden. Theft was our greatest worry.

Was it worth it? YES! If I thought I could safely grow in a greenhouse, I would. IMO, it is kind of like the best of 2 worlds. You can take advantage of the natural sunlight while still being able to control the environment to a large degree. I am seriously considering building a small one for veggies and flowers and heating it with the exhaust from my inside grow rooms. It won't happen this year, but maybe next....

Although I have very little concern about stealth, I didn't give that aspect much thought. I suppose it could be done with a little planning, though! Funny thing about heating from bud room, my veg room is directly below the intended space and could maybe be incorporated in some way...

THANKS for the thoughts so far Parcero and THG!

Run With it Roddy....:lama:

I like the idea of heating from grow rooms...

I had a 30x20x12 greenhouse last yr and got a great product. You only problum is to much heat. it takes very little sun to reach 100* inside of a greenhouse. make sure that you have vents and a fan for almost every plant. I think greenhouse grow is just as good as a insind grow. good growing and green blessings.

I've been looking and came up with an 8'x20' with roof vents for $1750, am getting ready to pull the trigger! :) :)

Well do you have it put up yet???

Would that I could build a greenhouse. There are some excellent diagrams and pix of cheap effective greenhouses in Mel Frank's Marijuana Grower's Insider's Guide. I live in precisely the WRONG location to build a greenhouse that isn't attached to the house. :angrywife: :mad: :hairpull:

LOL, I am awaiting delivery of the kit patiently....yeah, sure, patiently! As soon as it arrives, we're having a greenhouse party, neighbors are coming over to help set it up and run electricity to it! Should be a week or two, but I'll get pics!

Cool it should work well in Mich. You will only have to worry about the heat for a month or 2 IMO.

The first grows I ever did were in a greenhouse we built off our house in the early 80's just for this purpose. Things were a little different then though. How stealth do you believe that you can keep your grow in a greenhouse? I would never do it now in the same space.

As for size--our plants got HUGE. We kept bending them over and staking them down behind the tomatoes and peppers that were in front. I guess we were doing a little LST, but back then it was just trying to keep the plant hidden. Theft was our greatest worry.

Was it worth it? YES! If I thought I could safely grow in a greenhouse, I would. IMO, it is kind of like the best of 2 worlds. You can take advantage of the natural sunlight while still being able to control the environment to a large degree. I am seriously considering building a small one for veggies and flowers and heating it with the exhaust from my inside grow rooms. It won't happen this year, but maybe next....

Even with vents don't you have to worry about it getting to hot?

Roddy, I grow in a greenhouse. Keep the bottom sealed tight to the ground. Vent from the top of the ends close to the roofline. You will cut down on the vast majority of the pests you can encounter.

Release ladybugs within the first half of June even if you don't see a single aphid or thrips. I clean inside and out before planting. Any spraying of insecticides or herbicides should be done outside around the bottom of your greenhouse. Never ever ever spray your plants with anything chemical. If it's that bad cull that plant. Work harder at keeping a clean greenhouse.

Keep one fan on at all times for ventilation even if you don't have a vent open. Semi auto flowering genetics like Lebanese or Nepalese will blow your mind. Don't be surprised that the most hyped latest greatest gotta have it now cookiesgelatosherbertpunch are just that, HYPE.
Learn how to grow within your environment. Then look to improve your environment. If a strain doesn't finish properly, move on to different genetics.
Peace brother.
Farmerlion

As a newbie I grew 8 plants right under the sun last year. I have about 3 ounces left from the 7 survivors. I only had a few problems, all from me not understanding or knowing anything, but still had a great result. I used a fold out 10x15 cover for when it rains and for when the temps start to drop in the fall. I did have a herm from the ebay seeds I bought. Before investing in a green house that can be better controlled I wanted to see if it would be worth it. Yes it is worth it. This year I'm investing in 16 gallon re-usable tubs (5 gallon buckets kept blowing over in the wind) for the final transplant, a irrigation system so everything that is done to the plants will be then same across the board and I am experimenting with teas as well. This year we're allowed 12 plants by law in flower at one time and so I got 12 strains WOO HOO!!

Latest posts

Back