Best Lighting for seedlings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannSS

Reaction score
This is my first grow. I have 3 girl scout cookies auto that are still seedlings in a 4 x 4 x 8 grow tent under two 600 watt led cob. i currently just use 1 x 600 watt at 30 inches and i keep them on a 18/6 cycle. the humidity stays at around 50% and the temp at around 25C (77F) and around 18C (64F) when the light are off. One of them is 3 inches high, one is 2 inches and the last one is about 15 mm above the soil and grows very slowly. I make sure the soil stays moist. Is there something i should change in terms of lighting or anything else that would improve the health of the seedlings and enable the weakest one to grow stronger and faster?

Thanks a lot guys.

600 watt at 30 inches
Welcome!

If that's true watts from the wall, that might be too much light too early. Also, seedlings will damp off if you leave them too moist. Do you have pictures? How do you water them?

128 true watts. i watered the soil with a watering can about 2 days before i put the germinated seeds in. so by the time i planted them, the soil was somewhat moist but definitely not soaked. from then on, i put water in a spray bottle and kept the soil moist around the seedlings. i go light with the water so the soil is not too moist.

Here are the pictures of the setup:

Attachments

• lamp.jpg
    lamp.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 20
  • seed1.jpg
    seed1.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 22
  • seed2.jpg
    seed2.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 18
  • seed3.jpg
    seed3.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 20
  • tent.jpg
    tent.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 17
humidity stays at around 50%
That's a bit low for a seedling, can you raise that a bit?

Seems you are doing basically what I do with seedlings, but I would highly recommend you raise the rh if you can. I would recommend about 70% for the first 2 weeks, then it can be lowered a bit as they veg.

Also, are you planning on increasing your lights for flower?

I am planning on using the other 600 watt for flower. Is 1200 watt enough for 3 autoflower? At what point should i increase the lighting?
Should i do something about the seedling that barely got out of the ground?

Thanks a lot for your advice, i really appreciate it.

Hi DannSS,
Are your seedlings growing anymore? I am new to indoor growing myself. I have my light lower than you do, it is dimmed but the leaves are starting to grow bigger. They sprouted Friday 10/16. I don't have a camera to take pictures. Maybe somebody has advice about that.

am planning on using the other 600 watt for flower.

That's probably still not enough.
Is 1200 watt enough for 3 autoflower

Do you mean 2 of your current lights off a true 256 watts? How big is your space? Lighting is really determined by sq ft. not plant count.

Should i do something about the seedling that barely got out of the ground?

Has there been any change?

Hi @sharonp , how are you? Do you know how many watts your light draws from the wall? I use 23 watts cfl lighting sometimes for seedlings and literally keep them 2 inches from the seedlings.

Are you using a tablet or computer to come here? Does it have a camera?

That's probably still not enough.

Do you mean 2 of your current lights off a true 256 watts? How big is your space? Lighting is really determined by sq ft. not plant count.

Has there been any change?

Hi @sharonp , how are you? Do you know how many watts your light draws from the wall? I use 23 watts cfl lighting sometimes for seedlings and literally keep them 2 inches from the seedlings.

I have a 4x4x8 grow tent. i was debating buying 2 more 600 watt. Do you think 2 more would be enough for flowering and veg?

Hi DannSS,
Are your seedlings growing anymore? I am new to indoor growing myself. I have my light lower than you do, it is dimmed but the leaves are starting to grow bigger. They sprouted Friday 10/16. I don't have a camera to take pictures. Maybe somebody has advice about that.
2 of them are still growing but the one i mentioned on earlier posts seems to be stunted or something

[/QUOTE]

I am good thanks! I have a desk top and no camera, I have a landline phone. The camera I had died, but I really need to get something else. I have the Spider Farm 1000, but they just add an extra "0" on there. It draws 100 watts. It is very bright and my seedlings seem to like it. I only have it on 70 and it is about 16 inches from the leaves. I started them on 65 watt led full spectrum bulbs while I was waiting for the other light. The bulbs were closer. I am trying to gradually brighten the light.

started them in water then in a moist paper towel until the taproot was 1cm long and then i planted them in the final pot.

started them in water then in a moist paper towel until the taproot was 1cm long and then i planted them in the final pot.

I used the Jiffy Greenhouse seed starter, that might make a difference as far as size goes since they are already in the peat.

I bought a propagation chamber today and i'm about to buy a heating pad on amazon as well as Rapid Rooter. So, next time i will properly start the seed and wait until the seedlings are strong enough before putting them in the final pot. I just need to figure out the lighting situation. I have 2 x 600 watt but it seems it won't be enough for flowering and veg.

You have a nice set up. Mine are in a bathroom right now. Do you have extra money for all that? The jiffy greenhouse is inexspensive. Then I planted in the final pot since I am growing autflowering. I found an online review for my light that was very helpful. The manufacturer's website had additional information. So, try contacting them or contacting the seed company.

The propagation chamber was $20 and the rapid rooter is $35 for 50 plugs. These plug will last me a long time if i properly store them because i only grow 3 plants at a time. The heating mat is $45 with a thermostat. It's worth to put in a little extra money if it means a bigger harvest and most of what you need you will only buy it once. I know that the current harvest will be mediocre but, the next one will be a different story.

That will last a long time and I wouldn't mind using the heating pads this time of the year myself. There is so much to buy getting started. I didn't get enough soil and had to try to find some good organic locally. I am only growing three plants too. If they all bud that is still quite a bit. Well, I hope you figure your lights out. They seem to come out with new kinds that some people have not used before. I know in the flowering stage I can safely grow three and that is with adding some LED light bulbs.

That will last a long time and I wouldn't mind using the heating pads this time of the year myself. There is so much to buy getting started. I didn't get enough soil and had to try to find some good organic locally. I am only growing three plants too. If they all bud that is still quite a bit. Well, I hope you figure your lights out. They seem to come out with new kinds that some people have not used before. I know in the flowering stage I can safely grow three and that is with adding some LED light bulbs.
Yeah it can get overwhelming when you realize how much stuff you actually need to get proper results.

I know I messaged you this info, but I'd like to post it for anyone else interested.

So this is how I learned to determine the watts needed. You multiply your sq footage by 35 for really good LED lights and 50 for HID lighting, so that's either 560 (16 x 35) or 800 (16 x 50). Those lights are 128 each so 2 is only 256. In my opinion that's not near enough, even if you buy 2 more you are probably a bit short still.

Let me know what you think about my message, I'd gladly help any way I can.

Latest posts

Back