best time to harvest for the most weight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shimmz22

Reaction score
These are the strains im growing with their flowering times next to them: Critical Yumboldt(7-8weeks), Fast Nevilles(8-9weeks), The church(9weeks), WW X BB(7-8weeks), Sugar Black Rose(7-8weeks). My question is, i'm thinking of just harvesting all my plants at 9 weeks since one of my strains ends at that time and i want to pack on as much weight as i can on all my girls. Is that a good idea or does that sound like i would be over-harvesting some of my stash? Anyone have any input on this matter? IF so + REPS.
P.S. I don't have the money to invest in a microscrope to check when to harvest.

Where are you getting your flowering times from?

You will need to examine the trichomes with a 30x or better magnifier to determine the best time to harvest. But you should expect them take a couple weeks longer if those numbers are coming from the breeders.

If it finishes in 7 to 8 weeks go 8 and a half,always go to the longest finish time if you don't have a scope, I just bought a really cool one on EBAY for a dollar twenty five plus 5 bucks shipping,, really nice

$20 at most hydro stores......a great tool for piece of mind and good harvests!

You cannot count on the breeder's estimates as to when to harvest. IMO, the only way to know if they are ready is checking the trichs--a scope is a must. You can get one from Radio Shack for about $12. If you wait too long to harvest, the trichs die. If you harvest too early, the trichs are immature and not potent. Harvest the plants when the trichs say the plant is ready.

I asked this in another thread but never got an answer as the thread was done. I have heard or read that when the trics are at 2/3-3/4 milky white they are at peak for THC but should be at about 1/2 amber for peak CBD. any truth to that?
BTW Shimmz, Yu got to have a micro scope or even a jewelers loop if yu can get that will work. look around, they can be had pretty cheap. I start looking at my trics at 6 weeks every couple of days, then everyday until they r ready

Hushpuppy said:
I asked this in another thread but never got an answer as the thread was done. I have heard or read that when the trics are at 2/3-3/4 milky white they are at peak for THC but should be at about 1/2 amber for peak CBD. any truth to that?
BTW Shimmz, Yu got to have a micro scope or even a jewelers loop if yu can get that will work. look around, they can be had pretty cheap. I start looking at my trics at 6 weeks every couple of days, then everyday until they r ready

Check in with StoneyBud on that--he's got the skinny on all that THC and CBD and CBGB stuff.

PencilHead said:
Check in with StoneyBud on that--he's got the skinny on all that THC and CBD and CBGB stuff.

Thanks PencilHead. As already said, the time to harvest depends on the type of high you want.

Resin production can be increased with any of the "Bloom Blaster", "Flower Power" or whatever blooming additive you choose. They're all pretty much the same thing.

More resin, more weight.

If you can't afford a $10 microscope to make sure your crop is ready to harvest, then you're simply not going to know when to harvest and you'll have to guess.

When you check the entire plant, if half the trichomes are cloudy and half amber, that's one of the most common times that people harvest. It gives the best combination of cerebral high, couch-lock high and harvest weight.

chapter 4 --> hXXp://www.greenmanspage.com/guides/botany.html

shimmz22 said:
These are the strains im growing with their flowering times next to them: Critical Yumboldt(7-8weeks), Fast Nevilles(8-9weeks), The church(9weeks), WW X BB(7-8weeks), Sugar Black Rose(7-8weeks). My question is, i'm thinking of just harvesting all my plants at 9 weeks since one of my strains ends at that time and i want to pack on as much weight as i can on all my girls. Is that a good idea or does that sound like i would be over-harvesting some of my stash? Anyone have any input on this matter? IF so + REPS.
P.S. I don't have the money to invest in a microscrope to check when to harvest.
You should be safe by adding a week to whatever the breeders say. They are ALWAYS early in their harvest times.
you need a scope man...or at least a 20x jewelers loupe which can be had for a couple of bucks at the flea market. Quality over Quantity. ALWAYS!! If you are out for profit...then you make more off high quality. Yield is the furthest thing from my mind. Type of High, potency, and of course flavor is the main three I aim for. Everything else (looks aroma and yeild) don't matter much to me.
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1938

I highly (pun) prefer a jeweler's loupe over the mini microscopes. The loupe is much easier to use. The microscope was a pain in the arse. Using an illuminated loupe that was gifted to me (couldn't have been more than $20) I can check the trichs right on the plant without any squinting or fussing. . .

I have seen some really cool pics taken with a usb microscope but I imagine it would cost a bit more than $20. . .

kiksroks said:
I highly (pun) prefer a jeweler's loupe over the mini microscopes. The loupe is much easier to use. The microscope was a pain in the arse. Using an illuminated loupe that was gifted to me (couldn't have been more than $20) I can check the trichs right on the plant without any squinting or fussing. . .

I have seen some really cool pics taken with a usb microscope but I imagine it would cost a bit more than $20. . .
I did to till i tried That 60x led lit magnafier, microscope, It kinda gives you the best of both worlds, it is as easy as the loupe, not at all like the radio shack microscope.

Cannon DSLR + tripod + 6500kelvin and 5000kelvin bulbs or Natural Sunlight = Best tric pics ever.

Think of sitting on your couch, inserting SD card and kicking back watching your LCD tv to zoom in on your trics over 100x magnification.

Pimpn. LoL

OGKushman said:
Cannon DSLR + tripod + 6500kelvin and 5000kelvin bulbs or Natural Sunlight = Best tric pics ever.

Think of sitting on your couch, inserting SD card and kicking back watching your LCD tv to zoom in on your trics over 100x magnification.

Pimpn. LoL
sounds outta my price range unless i was selling pictures or something.

ive ownd the camera for some time, and my computer is hooked to my living room tv with wireless keyboard and mouse. ;)

OGKushman said:
ive ownd the camera for some time, and my computer is hooked to my living room tv with wireless keyboard and mouse. ;)

Sounds cool. I have all the hardware. May have to look at putting it all together. . .

if you use a radio shack scope just cut off the leaf you want to check and place it on the table to check it. it is a pain to check while still on the plant.

astrobud said:
if you use a radio shack scope just cut off the leaf you want to check and place it on the table to check it. it is a pain to check while still on the plant.

I found the Radio Shack mic to be a pain in the butt no matter how it was used. It's too small to be very useful to me at all. Squinting till my head hurt to occasionally catch a clear glance at a few trichs is not ideal. The jeweler's loupe is soooooooooo much easier to use and does not cause headaches. . .

Latest posts

Back