Best use of space to meet a goal under LED

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

novitius

Reaction score
I'm ending a grow now under the LED lighting. Im in organic soil, 3gal pots under 2 x 1500w King's. Is it better to scrog and really trim the undergrowth when going into the stretch? Is this the best way to utilize the light? I'm thinking I'll need to do a lot of LST and HST to produce well. I want to hit 2#'s so I can supply myself and help out a friend or two in hard times without hurting myself. Also, I wanna see it happen so I can reach for 4#'s soon! I do plan to squish most of this into rosin for storage.
It seems to me that growth really explodes from plants under LED. From every node. So, it says to me, make a canopy, bend the top down. But, how pray tell do I grow coke can nugs? I'm definitely seeing density but not lots of bulk. My buds are like 2 fingers wide and I wouldn't be surprised if they weighed about a g a piece when dry. I've got golf balls I guess. Which may be strain/pheno dependant.
Right now I'm thinking of using Umbra's Larry Og x Lemon Thai x Oregon Lemon and White Strawberry. I may take a Boss Hog seed or two out as well. I know I'm forcing myself to need more room. I've thought about using the 5x5 to veg and propagate in and the 2 x4 to flower in. but that seems silly. In the future, the 2x4 will be the drying box and the 5x5 will be propagation.
I am here to get all the suggestions possible. What methods have you found to increase your yields and keep them consistent?

Its all the little stuff that adds up. This may seem too simple but you would be surprised
Water the plants, don't let them dry out.
Stay on top of bugs. This is the biggest failure for most people.
Besides nutes, use micro organisms.
Keep humidity under 60%
Lights on temps not to exceed 80*F
Lights off temps during flowering a minimum of 10* cooler than lights on. 20* is even better.
Do this a couple of grows and you will see consistency.

Its not about some secret growing tips, its about discipline
I wasn't really trying to get any secret tips. There probably aren't many tips left I don't know. I get the discipline. I have a routine that's easy to follow. Patience is the hard part.
I just felt like my plants behaved a little differently with led. OF8 chatted with me a bit and helped kinda focus my blur. Thanks again of8!
Thanks for the links Umbra! The last one, that's describing what exactly? I see that it is correlated to negative pressure.
My kids are full of energy tonight. It's a tax hard to check in but I will.

I haven’t read the vapor pressure deficit site in particular but it umbra turned me onto that info too a while back. I think the gist of it is temperature and rh influence transpiration which in turn affects how quickly the plant grows. I’m not at that level of control of my environment yet. May never be but to maximize growth and by extension size of your harvest, it is one of many parameters to try to tweak.

Umbra I guess it's down to science then? I suppose it is a bit foolish to ask how to hit a number.
of8 pointed out to me smaller nugs are more desirable as you don't have to deal with all the stem.
It's always fun when you realize you don't know squat even though you think you did.
I have bunches of work to do and lots to learn.
I thank you both for your time!

Last edited:
Umbra I appreciate the links. I'm reading about vpd now. Your first post was very helpful as well. I had a feeling this post would annoy some people.
Lots of times I have trouble finding the right way to ask a question or phrase a sentence. Some things don't come out clearly. I guess maybe I shoulda asked how do I know if I'm pruning to much? I'm worried about turning a great plant to hermie or killing it but I want to push it to its limit. What are stress signs from defoliation?
Actually I guess I was looking for some secret tips.... How to read a plant!

That's the disciple and the experience of growing. Severe pruning before flowering is an art more than science.

Latest posts

Back