Best way to trim your buds be for drying

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sickbiker

Reaction score
I know this my be a dumb question but i am new to this. I was wandering the best way to trim your buds be for u dry them i worry about triming to much off. How did everyone fair on there first time. Hell till about 6 weeks ago all i new how to do was smoke the buds lol:joint:

I cut off as much stem as possible and all bigger leaves, I tend to leave parts of the sugar leaves there if its hard to get, Plus if its got trichs on it then it will get you high so why bother removing it if its a hassle.

Hang onto the trim with any trichs on it like sugar leaves or small airy buds, Can use them for hash.

to do this stage i leave them standing in the pots put them on a chair and turn the pot as i go around the plant, also helpful if you put something to catch the trim around the bottom of the plant like cardboard or plastic. Makes it much easier to handle.

After you hang them to dry for a while the buds will tighten up some, Then you can give another once over.

This is my way of doing it, Many will have there own.

thanks man. I have been worrying about that for a bit. I just dont want to mess them up. I always worry about the small stuff

Hehe, after you trim a plant you wont think its small stuff. I suggest you invest in a couple pairs of scissors as you will need them to be nice and sharp, Take a break when your tired or you will hurt your wrist (Mine hurt for a couple days after i trimmed last as i didn't stop. Also its good to have some thing to wash the scissors with as they will get very sticky, something like alcohol will clean it up nice. Dry the scissors before you use it after though.

Jericho said:
Hehe, after you trim a plant you wont think its small stuff. I suggest you invest in a couple pairs of scissors as you will need them to be nice and sharp, Take a break when your tired or you will hurt your wrist (Mine hurt for a couple days after i trimmed last as i didn't stop. Also its good to have some thing to wash the scissors with as they will get very sticky, something like alcohol will clean it up nice. Dry the scissors before you use it after though.

Yea I do the same thing with the scissors. I like to sit cross legged in front of the TV with a baking sheet in front of me, a bottle of rubbing alcohol and a dry towel to get all the gunk off the scissors, I like thin bladed scissors that come to a point.
I'm different on the harvesting though. When I go to harvest I just take my plant and cut off branches and hang them on coat hangers, ususally 5 or 6 branches a hanger. I do not trim off any leaves at all though. I let the buds hang like that until completely dry before trimming anything off.

-SSF-

Yeah i have heard it can be a daunting task. I will be putting my girl to work to lol. Jericho Are u mainly growing autos

SensiStarFan said:
Yea I do the same thing with the scissors. I like to sit cross legged in front of the TV with a baking sheet in front of me, a bottle of rubbing alcohol and a dry towel to get all the gunk off the scissors, I like thin bladed scissors that come to a point.
I'm different on the harvesting though. When I go to harvest I just take my plant and cut off branches and hang them on coat hangers, ususally 5 or 6 branches a hanger. I do not trim off any leaves at all though. I let the buds hang like that until completely dry before trimming anything off.

-SSF-
If u dont mind me asking what your reason is for waiting until they are dry.

I trim absolutely every bit of leaf material off that I can. I believe that it smokes harsh. The small sugar leaves are saved for hash.

I find it quite hard to trim a plant after it is dry.

The Hemp Goddess said:
I trim absolutely every bit of leaf material off that I can. I believe that it smokes harsh. The small sugar leaves are saved for hash.

I find it quite hard to trim a plant after it is dry.

Thanks. I planed on trimming as soon as i harvested

sickbiker said:
If u dont mind me asking what your reason is for waiting until they are dry.

I just find it much easier to trim the buds when they are dry. The leaves get almost crispy and to the point where they are breaking off. The buds are not totally dry at this point though, they will still sit out in open air for another day or two once trimmed curing. But really it is more a matter of preference and there is not really a "correct" way of doing it in my opinion.
-SSF-

SensiStarFan said:
I just find it much easier to trim the buds when they are dry. The leaves get almost crispy and to the point where they are breaking off. The buds are not totally dry at this point though, they will still sit out in open air for another day or two once trimmed curing. But really it is more a matter of preference and there is not really a "correct" way of doing it in my opinion.
-SSF-
I guess i will just have to try it both ways to see witch one i like. thanks

Yeh i grow autos at the moment, Well until this grow ends then switching up to 12/12.

Another tip, Try keep the room your in cool, the warmer the plant the stickier the it becomes.

Jericho said:
Yeh i grow autos at the moment, Well until this grow ends then switching up to 12/12.

Another tip, Try keep the room your in cool, the warmer the plant the stickier the it becomes.
whats your Favorite auto

My favorite would be MI5, give you a buzzy head high, makes you want to do things and cures really smooth. Easy to grow as well but hits about 2ft, Good yield as well.

You gotta trim fresh, trimming dried buds is easily 10 times more annoying, and did i read correct that someone trims on the plant? i remove 1 branch at a time and trim it like that, JMO

I have trimmed both when harvesting the plant and have also trimmed when the plants were dry and I feel as though it is much more of a problem to trim when the plants are dry. Just my opinion.

I trim probably 80% of the fan leaves while the plant is still standing. :p
It is "much" easier to trim fresh plants with the leaves still in tact, and standing up/out away from the buds, stems, stalk, than it is to trim crispy dry plants with the leaves pressed/dried against the buds...."IMO/ yrs of experience".
Besides, they make great compost! ;)

THEN.... the sugar leaves and wispy buds are trimmed and saved for the hash buckets..;)

I learned from Hick when it comes to this subject...I dont have any helpers so I do all mine by self...I start trimming as soon as Trichs turn Amber..I start with all the Fan leafs then trim all un needed leaf material...then after thats all done..I cut and hang the entire plant for a few days....Happy Harvesting

I also like to begin plucking fan leafs during the last five days, or so, of growth.
I now do all my detail trimming standing up, lower back pain make trimming while sitting a royal pain in the ...
I utilise a couple of trestles a couple of gravel trays as a, quick to relocate, trimming station.
Fiskars micro tip spring loaded scissors are awesome.
Trash material is collected over a trash can and all sugar trim is collected over cardboard fruit and vegetable trays, for hash or bho runs.
I like to remove as much leaf material much the same as thg
I hang trimmed stock in a well ventilated dark area before the cure begins

Latest posts

Back