Black growth from inside - only one of 5. Rest are healthy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cangrower

Reaction score
I have this problem each year. I only have 5 plants, 3 different strains, and only this one has the issue. All plants in same general area and fed same amount and concentration. Very confused!!! I looked at a lot of help guides, but nothing seems to match this issue.
I will balance ph, but need more ideas since this is the only effected plant!
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
Thank you thank you thank you!

View attachment image.jpg

That looks like a pathogen that may be present in your growing area, and only that particular strain is weak to the affects of the pathogen. Some plants are more tolerant against pathogens and fungus, while some are not strong at all against certain pathogens and fungus. You say it has been happening every year. Is it happening with the same strain every time?

This is the issue with growing to many individual strains....different nute requirements!

The clue here in in the older foliage ...look to those yellow splotches for guidance, see it for what it is '''Nute Burn"" and to suggest that this is a pathogen and or fungi with out any supporting evidence is VERY wrong and misleading
Note: also the twisted young growth (Whorled Phyllotaxy) that is not related to the nute condition but is a breeding issue that the plant should grow out of in time.

Flush if in soil, with 3 times the pot volume with ph neutral, air temperate water allow to recover overnight or one day in shade, no nutes for 2 weeks or until you see a positive response, even then cut back the nute to this plant by 1/3rd

If in DWC, flush your rez.... then the plants, cut your nutes in DWC by again 1/4 for the sake of the other plants

it should clear in 7-14 days, then post a pic back!

"V"

Not the same strain each year. But at least one or two get it each year. I have another plant of the same strain planted 15-20 feet away and it has no issues at all (?!!??!!)
How would I get rid of pathogen?
Some years the plant grows out of it and turns out fine, others it takes over and kills it.
I really want to save it this year since I have so few plants.
Any ideas?

Thank you sooooo much!!!

Unfortunately I don't know a lot about dealing with pathogens. I don't know if it will help a plant that is already infected but I have read that making a good microbe tea with multiple beneficial microbes and then sprayed onto the plants a couple times as they are vegging will protect them from many pathogens. I am assuming that you are growing outdoors and under relatively organic conditions? It is easier to protect plants from pathogens such as fungus when they are grown indoors, but even that isn't fool proof against pathogens.

Vostok: Without seeing the whole plant and knowing ALL of the growing conditions, it is nearly impossible to say precisely what is causing the problem. That is why I suggest a possibility rather than saying I KNOW what something is while dissing other members who are giving suggestions from their personal opinions and experience. Given that it is happening to only one or a couple plants each season, and is not a problem that is happening to all or most of the plants, I am less inclined to think that it is something that the OP is doing. I don't claim to know everything, but I have never seen nute burn turn a plant black in the center and cause leaf twisting. In my experience nute burn usually causes leaf tips and edges to look burned with the occasional twisting.

You can look up "nute burn" in google image and look at other plants with various types of nute burn to see if yours matches any of that. While it is possible that it is a genetic malfunction causing the leaf twisting, I highly doubt that it would cause the black area in the center of the plant. I don't know what you are feeding or how much but it is possible that some of the yellowing could be coming from some chemical toxicity but something like that usually shows up in most or all of the plants if they are fed the same way. I wouldn't flush them unless I knew more about the cause. Flushing only removes chems and nutes that are present in the soil. It will also strip the soil of important beneficial microbes that are helpful to the plant, and could make a difficult situation worse.

This is just my opinion though. I'm sorry I can't be of more help :)

Latest posts

Back