blackstrap molasses

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruufuus

novice ethnobotanist
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm in day 3 of flowering, and have been gathering info to help me yield be more fruitful. A few people mentioned to me to give the plants a healthy dose of cal/mag. I am using gh flora series for nutrient feeding, but do not have a cal/mag supplement. I do however have a bottle of blackstrap molasses that contains cal/mag, and I have come across info in the past that infers that it is beneficial to add blackstrap molasses to my nutrient feed shcedule. I'm wondering how to go about adding blackstrap to my feeding chedule, how much and how often, as well as how to incorporate it with my gh flora feeding. I came across a lengthy post about blacckstrp but was unable to extract the info I was looking for. If you guys would be so kind as to provde me with info from experience, and or reasearch on the matter I would appreciate it greately. Thanks!

I add one to one and a half table spoons per gallon sometimes, im not sure how much cal mag is in there or how quickly it will be available to the plant but I use the same nutes as you and I have no choice but to use a cal/mag additive.

What do you mean you add one to one? I have heard a tablespoon per gallon, and I will probably start with just shy of a tbsp per gallon and asses from there. Can you mix it into your water with the gh nutrients? Or do you water em with bsm seperately?

it says 1 to 1 and a half, meaning somtimes one sometimes one and a half.

dman1234 said:
I add one to one and a half table spoons per gallon sometimes, im not sure how much cal mag is in there or how quickly it will be available to the plant but I use the same nutes as you and I have no choice but to use a cal/mag additive.
:yeahthat:

You will need some cal/mag, or dolomite lime if you're in soil. Molasses along won't get it. Internet science strikes again.:rolleyes:

Some bright soul looked at the molasses label saw the % for calcium and mag and iron and such and got all excited thinking it was like a fertilizer label.

This all has to do with RDA's (recc daily amounts), and serving sizes for people, not plants. If someone takes the time to actually figure out the actual amounts, the are so small, like .00x, they really aren't even worth figuring in to you nute regime.

Molasses is great for feeding microbes in the soil. That's it. Any nutrient value is pretty much nill.

HTH

Wet

I'm using coco. So is there someway to get them. The calmag they need without purchasing a cal/mag supplement

Hey Wetdog, do you think eggshells broken down composted would feed a plant the calcium it needs?

Rosebud said:
Hey Wetdog, do you think eggshells broken down composted would feed a plant the calcium it needs?

For sure, but grind them up super fine. Super, super fine.

When I first did my worm bins I added eggshells, but only hand crunched them. Some of them didn't break down in 2 years.:holysheep: I would use some old bedding to inoculate fresh bedding when I harvested and would move the shells over to the new bin, crunching them even more. LOL

It's nearly pure calcium, but very slow. Now, I just add lime to my bins (peat bedding).

Wet

This is just an idea for calcium, if you have any larger bones left over from having a roast or get some from the butcher counter at the grocery store. Dry them out and then take some heavy grit sandpaper to them to get the fine powder and add that to your soil. Being powdered, it should break down fairly fast.

Ruufuus; As you are growing in coco and using GH 3part, you are not organic. That means that you can't use any organic nutrients as you have little to no microbes in your medium to break down the nutrients. If you need magnesium right away, you can get some epsom salt and add to it. Or if the plant is needing it now you can disolve a teaspoon in 2L of water and spray it onto the leaves of the plants(if they aren't in flower).

Being in coco, you will absolutely need to suppliment with cal/mag. You can continue to use epsom salt or you can buy the cal/mag suppliments from either online or local hydro-store. The Technaflora brand "Magical" works very well. My partner uses it and has never had cal/mag issues. :)

Also, I forgot to say that the molases is worthless for chem growers. It is only for organic grows as it only serves to feed the microbes.

Latest posts

Back