Blue lighting during last 3-7 days of flower?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My LED’s have a UV LED in them. I also have done T5 bulbs with UV and have been happy with my results but I have no side by side comparison grows(nor any lab data) so I cannot vouch for UV either way.
I'll confess that I do something I'll bet no one else does. I had a couple of extra T8 fixtures (T8s are all I do early veg under), so I rigged 'em up in my grow room on the front and back sides of the main lights. They turn on half an hour before the big boys do, and then turn off when the main lights come on, then turn on just before the big ones turn off, then stay on for another half hour.
Why? In my head, it more mimics nature. We don't go from pitch black to high noon outside.
Does it have any effect? HellifIknow. Makes my brain happy, anyhoo.

I'll confess that I do something I'll bet no one else does. I had a couple of extra T8 fixtures (T8s are all I do early veg under), so I rigged 'em up in my grow room on the front and back sides of the main lights. They turn on half an hour before the big boys do, and then turn off when the main lights come on, then turn on just before the big ones turn off, then stay on for another half hour.
Why? In my head, it more mimics nature. We don't go from pitch black to high noon outside.
Does it have any effect? HellifIknow. Makes my brain happy, anyhoo.
Artificial dawn and dusk. Not a bad idea. As I said before, no need in screwing with something that has worked really well. I’m not growing for anyone but me(and Mrs Fogey) and we are one hit wonders. We don’t need the dankest of the dank to achieve a light buzz so I can screw around as much as I care to. I haven’t had a harvest in 2 and a half years and I still have between a quarter and a half pound so I can probably ruin crops for the rest of my life and still be buried with an ounce or two. BTW-the one hit I took of my 2019 Mimosa the other night kicked my butt. It could have something to do with me taking a break for a couple of weeks too. Probably healthier for me to dial back my intake anyway.

I used to know a couple fellas that grew under mh lights all the way to finish. Buds were a little smaller but they said sweeter and more potent. I knew a couple others that used both his and my together. I myself grew under a mh and cfl's when I first started indoors. They grew real nice but I was just starting.

I grew from start to finish many times with nothing but HOT5s. I had an 4ft 8 tube system,,40,000 lumens.
So i started mixing my tubes in flower by using 2700k and 6500k. Believe it or not the buds actually seemed to be bigger and more dense. Leaves stayed greener longer too.

I used to know a couple fellas that grew under mh lights all the way to finish. Buds were a little smaller but they said sweeter and more potent. I knew a couple others that used both his and my together. I myself grew under a mh and cfl's when I first started indoors. They grew real nice but I was just starting.
I think people are using CMH LEC bulbs now that are supposed to be good for veg and flower. They are supposed to have UV-A which is theoretically make the plant produce more cannabinoids as sunscreen.

I grew from start to finish many times with nothing but HOT5s. I had an 4ft 8 tube system,,40,000 lumens.
So i started mixing my tubes in flower by using 2700k and 6500k. Believe it or not the buds actually seemed to be bigger and more dense. Leaves stayed greener longer too.
My wife used 600w mh in her 5x5, had issues with heat, bugs, PM so I started growing outside 3 years ago. This year I purchased a Yintatech 4000w Led for 299.00. Call it sptuid luck but my buds are huge, I never produced buds this big. Two things changed, the Led lights and I've been feeding them Bembe from FF which is mostly molassis and other goodies. My biggest problem now is when to harvest them. They are like 90/10 Cloudy and clear and 5% amber

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
My wife used 600w mh in her 5x5, had issues with heat, bugs, PM so I started growing outside 3 years ago. This year I purchased a Yintatech 4000w Led for 299.00. Call it sptuid luck but my buds are huge, I never produced buds this big. Two things changed, the Led lights and I've been feeding them Bembe from FF which is mostly molassis and other goodies. My biggest problem now is when to harvest them. They are like 90/10 Cloudy and clear and 5% amber
That’s a pretty bud. I’d let it go a bit longer if it were mine 😊

I'll try the blue spinnaker veil on the two bubble gums in later flower.

Photo 1:
Is closeup of purple calyx on #1 plant( Hmmmm; just read my notes: I had pollinated the lower buds only , I thought, with Pinkleberry on July 1 which might explain purple calyx? The originator of this strain said any crosses would be colored too. So, if the calyxes are full of seeds that would mean that the pollen changed their colors? Anyone experienced that?
Photo 2:
Bubblegum # 2; This one will be under the burqa too & doesn't seem to be pollinated. Popped same time as #1

1659823868910.png

Photo 3:
Burqa-clad plant #1.
Photo 4:
Control plant; un-burqad for experiment.

So, here's the experiment: #1 & #2 plants under burqa; #3 to be left uncovered.

I plan on removing the sail everyday at sundown & back again in the am. until harvest.

(PS. Any opinions on how close to harvest #1 and #2 are? )

Does Amazon have a cheap terpene assessment tool? Otherwise, I can't think of any way to measure the results, except with my nose.

1659822975036.png

Photo 1

1659823948780.png

Photo 2
1659823176844.png

Photo 3

1659823395093.png

Photo 4

I was doing some reading this morning about light wavelength and it's effects on cannabis and came across this on heliosprectra.com

Grower Trick: Blue Light for Higher Cannabinoids
Some growers have discovered a strange spectral trick to get higher terpene and cannabinoid levels. It goes against the natural seasonal light shift, but it can increase terpenes by a reported 50%.
At the end of flowering, in the final 3-7 days, growers return to a spectrum with lots of blue light. Sometimes, they switch bulbs from HPS back to MH (if their ballasts are compatible). Or — if they’re running tunable LEDs — they can simply change the settings on their controller.
It’s unclear why the change in the spectrum — which would be unnatural outdoors — produces more terpenes. Some growers think that it’s a stress response because blue light has more energy than other wavelengths. Other growers wonder if the plants “think” they’re back in the vegetative phase and they push more growth as a response. It’s as though the blue light sparks growth, except the growth, goes into the buds and overall terpene levels instead of foliage.

Has anyone on here tried this?
Hi
Trying it with my out door grow by draping an old blue spinnaker over two bubblegum in late flower; a third is mid-flower which I will leave uncovered. No way of measuring however, but what the heck.

Latest posts

Back