Bokashi and worms ??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droopy Dog

Reaction score
Just heard of this stuff, so I googled it and did a bunch of reading and watched a neat video on how to make it.

I also have a worm bin just started and also read that the stuff makes great worm food. I think the finished stuff, but for sure, the fermented/activated wheat bran that is used in the buckets.

This sells for ~$17 for a 2 lb bag online.

Locally, I bought a 50# bag of wheat bran for $12.25
Molasses is ~$2 for a 16 oz bottle.
The EM1 Concentrate was $22.99/liter+shipping ... $31.85 total
Not sure how far this will go because the recipe calls for 30ml of 'activated' EM1 (concentrate+molasses+water??) for 10# of wheat bran. I'll bet it can go even farther using some from a finished batch to start another.:hubba: Like using yeast from one batch of beer to start the next.;)

Anyone, correct me if I'm wrong on this.:confused:

Anyway, this batch (50#), will cost less than $1/lb and the next will even be less since I already have the concentrate and molasses. Way mo betta than the $8.50/lb+shipping online stuff.:hubba: :hubba:

My plan is, by next spring, to have all my mother plants in pure castings and perlite and that's it.:holysheep:

I didn't get the ceramic powder because, A. I didn't have the $$$$, and B. Sounded a bit 'pyramid power' to me, which is ok if you have extra $$$:cool:

Something to do over the winter anyway. :farm: :watchplant:

DD

Well, shoot! :doh:

Thanks for the heads up MF.

Guess that 1 bottle of concentrate will be all I ever need.:cool: If I had seen this before I ordered, I wouldn't have even needed that.:rolleyes:

I might try some DIY Bokashi buckets. No way am I going to buy one, and reading between the lines, it seems you need two minimum.

To paraphrase: 'When the bucket is full, seal tightly and let sit/ferment for 2 weeks or longer'

What do you do with your scraps for the 2 weeks or so the first bucket is out of action? Seems like you would need another bucket or 2 depending on how much waste is produced.

I guess the places that sell this stuff want you to figure this out on your own AFTER you've bought the basic batch of equipment/supplies.:eek: :rolleyes:

DD

Besides the worms, I could stand to recycle my soil a bit more.

I made my own soil less mix for years. Never really thought about it, but it is organic, consisting of peat moss, perlite, and pine bark mulch. I also add dolomitic lime, composted manure, epsom salt and other things depending on what the mix is for.

I then promptly used chemical nutes in the mix. :shocked: Never really bothered me as I wasn't growing anything to be ingested, mostly rare ferns.

Now that I'm growing both veggies and smoke, organic makes way more sense.;)

I never really threw my used mix away, but would dump it on the veggie garden in the winter and work it into the soil. Not bad, but making 30-50 gallons of mix and just using it once is making less sense to me now, especially with the rising cost of everything.

Just want to make the circle a bit smaller, tighter, and more natural.:cool:

DD

Droopy Dog said:
Well, shoot! :doh:

Thanks for the heads up MF.

Guess that 1 bottle of concentrate will be all I ever need.:cool: If I had seen this before I ordered, I wouldn't have even needed that.:rolleyes:

I might try some DIY Bokashi buckets. No way am I going to buy one, and reading between the lines, it seems you need two minimum.

To paraphrase: 'When the bucket is full, seal tightly and let sit/ferment for 2 weeks or longer'

What do you do with your scraps for the 2 weeks or so the first bucket is out of action? Seems like you would need another bucket or 2 depending on how much waste is produced.

I guess the places that sell this stuff want you to figure this out on your own AFTER you've bought the basic batch of equipment/supplies.:eek: :rolleyes:

DD

DD 3 buckets min IMO. if you are in a cold climate id wait so you can do outside. buckets will always have a slight stank. also if you planned on bokashi for your indoor just use em & the molasses mix & water into soil & continue 2 feed w/ molasses & teas.

easy 2 make. 5g bucket, 1/4" lexan-for round plate thats sits a good 4" off bottom of bucket w/ MANY 1/8" drain holes, pvc ball valve & fittings.

oh one last thing the center drain hole of plate needs durable rope (lawn mower rip cord works great). this is to be able to pull plate out 2 wash when done.

Well, the concentrate came and I should be set for life if not longer.:holysheep:

1oz of concentrate/10lbs of compost (wheat bran). 33.8 oz in the bottle (1 liter), translates to well over 300# worth of inoculated wheat bran.:eek: Like I said, I doubt if I'll ever need to buy more.

An idea came to me for really cheap (free), bokashi buckets. We put all the scraps and stuff into empty coffee cans that are plastic and have a snap on lid that is airtight. Keeps smells to a minimum while collecting and we usually fill one/week, then it goes in the worm bin.

What I'm going to try is, after it's full, add some bokashi starter mix, let it sit for a couple of weeks and then feed it to the worms.:hubba:

Have plenty of empty coffee jugs, so after the initial 2 week lag I can get back to my weekly feedings.

We'll see how it works out. :watchplant:

DD

dd sounds good but u need 2 b able 2 drain liquid. works best if compost is kept outta the juices. plus juices will be awesome for ur plants when diluted. when keeping stored juices in a plastic bottle make sure to burp the bottle every couple days or they will EXPLODE!

docfishwrinkle said:
dd sounds good but u need 2 b able 2 drain liquid. works best if compost is kept outta the juices. plus juices will be awesome for ur plants when diluted. when keeping stored juices in a plastic bottle make sure to burp the bottle every couple days or they will EXPLODE!

I had thought of that with the liquid, but figured I could add it all to my worm bin and let the juices drip down along with the worm juice and use it then.:hubba: I did the 2 tote bin with drain holes in the top bin.

Just sort of experimenting right now and still might go with the DIY buckets if it works out that way.

The original plan was to use the fermented wheat bran for worm food. I still have plenty of totes and may start a second bid just using this and perhaps do a side by side with the kitchen scraps and such.

I'll remember that about burping the bottle when I get enough juices to store.:holysheep:

DD

Latest posts

Back