books

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuckdee123

Roland Burnett
Reaction score
in the last couple months i've become more down with reading books. right now i'm reading 'slaughterhouse 5' because it is one of the only books i have lying around the house, i believe it is from high school. i'm also reading 'bomb the suburbs' that book is on some realness - you should check it out if you are into hip hop..

anyways.... i wanna buy some new books soon. recommend some of your favorites to me! :)

No one here gets out alive....and Hammer of the Gods are my last two reads...both are music related...first one is about Jim Morrison and the Doors, other one is about Led Zeppelin...I enjoy any of Stephen Kings work but I am a big Horror/Thriller fan...

I love educational books of anything I'm interested in. Right now, I'm into MJ/growing, natural medicine, organic gardening, geodesic domes/green house books and a ton of others. I am reading the Big Book of Homesteading, and how to make $10,000 a year selling organic vegetables from your garden.

Great way to not only grow and eat your own organic veggies and fruits but also how to grow them and eat them for free as well as prolly make a buck or two to put back into the garden and then do it again. Looking at the Domes and Green Houses it's going to take $10,000 easily to get into one of them of any decent size so it will not only be and have a sustainable living but eventually, free sustainable living once the cash starts changing hands.

Also, have just finished and use for referance "The Grow Bible" by Cerventes. One by Rosenthol that excapes me and another by Mel Thomas.

I have over 50 books i'd like to tear into as well but it takes time. Thats probably two/three years of regualr reading I'm sure.

It's funny, I use to note only hate school but also hated reading and now I can't get enough. :holysheep:

Here's a great one for stoned reading, or maybe rather stoned contemplation, you might need a sober mind for the reading: Nietzsche's Twilight of the Idols. It an existential philosophy book, so yea it can be a bit dull, but it has 1001 topics for amazing stoned conversations in it. Brains will explode!

Art, I read the Metamorphosis in the 80's and haven't gotten over it yet. If ya ever think your having a bad day you know it could be worse.

My wife just turned me on to a really good female author. I normally don't care much for female riters, but this one got me with the first short story.

The book is "Close Range, Wyoming Stories" and the author is Annie Prolux.

"Brokeback Mountain" is one of the short stories, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

We get about 10 or so books a week from 3 different library's. I can manage maybe 3 and my wife will do 7 and bugging me to hurry up. LOL

Wet

Anything by Iain Banks or Iain M Banks makes good reading (he writes all his scifi stuff under name Iain M Banks) Probably best science fiction writer out there.

I normally read 19th century classics, but that doesn't interest a lot of people. Recently, I read State of Fear by Michael Crichton. It's about ecoterroists and global warming. It was interesting and easy to read.

The Secret Supper - Javier Sierra
Some fiction book that gets you thinking. Da Vinci Code style.

I am into EVERYTHING and this one is one that I just laid eyes on right now.

My plan is to read a lot...but then I get too caught up in distractions like THIS!(internet)

My ideal moment right now would be to be somewhere camping. Just sit with bunch of books, huge sack of weed, good supply of equipment, and a good girl. Oh would that be life.

:joint4:

chuckdee123 said:
i wanna buy some new books soon. recommend some of your favorites to me! :)

I'll save you a TON of money.

Get a card for your local public library. The place has thousands of books and you can take them home for awhile, (usually 3 weeks with two renews for 9 weeks total), and read them.

They also have what's known as an "Inter-Library Loan Service". If that particular library doesn't have the book you want to read, they will search all the libraries in the country and find it for you.

I read about 2 books a week. I've done this since I was a small child. No way could I have afforded to buy all the books I've read. Not even a tenth of them.

There is also a set of books in the library called "Books in Print". It lists both by subject and author in separate volumes. You can, for example, look up "Plant Biology" and it will list every single book on that subject that is in print and it lists the ISBN number for it. Then you take that ISBN number to the front desk and they'll find that exact book for you.

The public library is your best friend if you're a reader.

Good luck to all of you and I hope each of you continue reading and reading and reading. It's awesome for the mind!

It's impossible to read a book and not learn something new. If you learn only one thing from each book, it's still worth the effort.

Plus, it's fun!

For those who are wanting to learn about Hydroponic Growing, a book that is known among hydroponic professionals as "The Bible of Hydroponics" is:

Hydroponic Food Production

by Dr. Howard Resh

I keep my copy right here next to me at the PC all the time. There is so much information in this book that it's truly awesome.

If you get it, make sure you get the latest edition. It has the updated information about hydroponics in it.

Enjoy!

Note: I got it first by using the Inter-Library Loan Service at the Public Library. After 9 weeks of reading it, I knew I wanted my own copy. Damn thing costs $50, but it's worth $500 in knowledge. There's way too much information in it to memorize it all. Tables of data, pics, you name it. Did I mention it's an awesome book? hehe

I always have enjoyed Louis L'amor. It's a ailment spawned from to many saturday matinees watching Hopalong Cassidy!!

Raymond Chandler, Charles Willeford and Elmore Leonard--the holy trinity of crime fiction--if you like shootin' and killin' and snappy come-backs and such.

But, like Art said: you can't go wrong with anything Kafka. Or Vonnegut. Crichton covers a lot of ground and has a nice style.

Mostly, I'm just glad to see people reading--anything. Thanks.

If you do want to buy books, a used bookstore is also a good find. One that sells cheap and buys them back with future credit is where I go.

I look for books that are 700 pages at least. More is better in this instance.

I agree Pencilhead, glad to hear so many are reading. Keeps the brain young and snappy. Also makes for good dreams at night I find.

I just saw there is a new Jane Aual (spelling?) book out, she wrote the Clan of the Cave Bear series. I like JRR Martin for Fantasy, The Fire/Ice series is pretty good, if he would just finish the last book that is. Stephen King is also one of my all time favorite writers. Anything by King. He gets so far into the building of a plot, that it is hard to put him down.

Happy Reading!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucifer's_Hammer

The story details a cometary impact on Earth, an end to civilization, and the battle for the future. It encompasses the discovery of the comet, the LA social scene, and a cast of diverse characters whom fate seems to smile upon and allow to survive the massive cataclysm and the resulting tsunamis, plagues, famines and battles amongst scavengers and cannibals.

---------

One of the best written "post-apocalyptic" stories I've read in my life. The story will grab you, hold you, freak you out and make you sweat.

On a 1 to 10, this one is a pure 10.

Latest posts

Back