Bottom Leaves Dying (first grow)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

its_pink

Reaction score
So this is my first grow and because of the cold weather here I decided to start with an indoor grow. I started this plant from seed about 3 and a half weeks ago and it is still relatively small, but I recently noticed that the bottom leaves don't look very healthy. The new growth is healthy and does not look malnourished.

I am growing one plant in a 2x2x4 grow tent, with a VIPARSPECTRA 600W LED grow light. I water the plants with General Hydroponics Flora Grow, Bloom, and Micro fertilizer mixed in a gallon container and I make sure that the pH of the water is in an acceptable range. For soil, I am using nature's care organic and natural potting mix with water conserve (I know that's probably not the best soil but it's all I had).

The problems I have noticed are that the bottom leaves have some brownish spots and that they are losing color. The leaf stems have also started to turn red. At first I thought I was overwatering, but after skipping a day of watering the plant looked really thirsty and the leaves all looked weak and dehydrated. All the other leaves on the plant feel relatively thick and somewhat strong, while these bottom ones are flimsy and thin. I have looked at some of the guides in this forum and it seems like it could be a nitrogen or phosphorus deficiency, but the fertilizer I put in the water has a good balance of NPK and other minerals the plant needs. I also don't know if this could be the result of overfertilization or poor aeration.

Any advice/help is appreciated. Thank you.
image0(3).jpeg
image1(3).jpeg
image1(2).jpeg
image0(2).jpeg
image3.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image1(1).jpeg
image0(1).jpeg

Looks like you splashed some ferts on the bottom leaves to me.

First, what kind of water are you using. Tap, well, r/o? Cal/mag is a must. The amount depends on the water you are using. If R/O add 7 1/2 mil/gal with tap about half that much.

Red stems are fine.

First, what kind of water are you using. Tap, well, r/o? Cal/mag is a must. The amount depends on the water you are using. If R/O add 7 1/2 mil/gal with tap about half that much.

Red stems are fine.

I'm using well water. I'll definitely take a look at getting some cal-mag this week. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back