brand new babies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kusher89

Reaction score
this will be my first on my own grow. i was hoping you guys could help me out with some constructive criticism. i have a basic lamp that i have been using as the main light source of my plants,and though as odd as it is i didnt expect the results i did off of a basic house lamp to be honest.now the most asked question of all time for any new grower, is it to early to determine the sex on both babys,and can anyone tell me more about my bud.haha charecteristics etc would be nice and i always have an open ear for thoughts and opinions.

a new member
kusher.

p1.jpeg

p2.jpeg

I would get some superthrive it made my baby clones take off. Then for your light I would by a y for your light socket. So you can use two light bulb cfl instead of one. What worked good when I had one plant. I got one of those clip on lights with the silver dome. I put a cfl on it and put it right on top of the plant. Buy the daylight cfl @ 6500k. I couldn't find 6500k so I just bought the cfl @5000k to try to veg. To increase growth. When it get bigger I would LST (make your plant grow horizontal so all your shoots grow to be main
colas. Water about twice a week. Not to much more than that. I am a newbie as well bro. I'm about on grow five. Week around there. Hey topping made my plant extra bushy.

To tell the sex just switch to 12/12 till you see the sex then turn your lights back to 24/7 to return them to veg. I was at my buddy house and where his old trees was that he harvested. Baby plants was koming up that was about the size of yours. They all had a bud on top of them. If these plants survive the kold they will turn back to veg when the hours go to longer days.

Well bro that's all I can think of. Good luck on your grow.

Thank You Bro!
The Lights And All The Numbers Mess With Me Soo Much And It Feels Like Im Speaking Another Language Haha. Im Hoping These Are Little Girls And Not Males.i Would Be Crushed Considering This Is My First Grow.

A seed will germinate under almost any or no light. You are going to need the correct kind of light if you want to get anything. It is kind of a folly to plant seeds before you have a place to put them. If these do not get adequate light in the next couple of weeks, they will not probably survive. I recommend that you start at the resource section and do some reading and studying so that you have an idea what it is going to take to take a plant to maturity.

You will not be able to tell sex until the plants are 4-8 weeks old. I believe that it is a bad practice to put plants into 12/12 to sex and then back into vegging light--it stresses them and adds probably a good month or more to your grow. If this is bagseed, keep a very close eye out for hermies when you get to flowering.

They should also be given no food for the first couple of weeks. What is good for a clone (which is a mature plant) is not good for seedlings--do not believe that they can be treated alike, they can't.

i do have alot of reading to do on top of the reading ive already accomplished. but, i guess what im coming to realize is everyone has there own style and ways of explaining how there grow is coming along.not every enviorment is exactly the same etc.. what would you do if you were in my position with these 3 little ones? something that wont quite make me go broke..but i can also have fun at the same time.

not looking for instant gratification either,i understand these need ALOT of time and attention which i have no problem giving.thanks for the advice greenphene and hemp goddess

Dude I have a inexpensive rig. You can use cfl for veg. Go look at my plants under cfl. I got homemade lights. For under fifteen dollars. Of course I will not get baseball size mugs. But I'm having thetime of my life learning. I buy things as I have money. If I dint have money. I just buy when I can.

Also I was in this forum about two years ago where I grew from seed. I used one light. Flourescent with that five dollar dome. The plant grew like s champ. It ended up being a male. Using cfl will buy you time till you can afford. Hps mh. Everybody don't have money right now to buy expensive things.

Flowering is where you want to have hps lights. But I'm going to be honest. I'm broke. My plant is under flower mode and I don't have money. So I'm flowering with 3 2700k cfl 300w. Then about 3 2700k cfl. They might work they might not. What's the best part is going through it learning your own particular grow style. So what if you kill your plant. Start over and over till you perfect what you do. Also these cfl's will bud your plants but let me tell you I bought them one by one. When I had twenty dollars. I went bought a light. Till I had what I have now. If you are learning. Don't be afraid to experimment. The only bulb that won't grow yo plant is a incadescent.

The reason I love cfl is because I can put it right on top of my plant. Also with cfl since you have your lights so close to the plant the inner nodes grow extra compact with a combination of lower stress training.

I am not a expert. I might be wrong. The things that I say are only from my personal opinions. Develop any style of grow you want

Will it work. I don't know. I'm having fun. ;^}:holysheep:

1325184632.jpg

Welcome to MP -- and yeah, what he said -- I also started out w/ CFLs -- soon learned better (thanks THG) I now have two 600w lights in cool tubes -- it just works better and shortens the learning curve, but do it any way you can, my friend -- there are master growers in MP that will help you achieve your fondest desires :) Good luck

Peace

greenphene said:
Will it work. I don't know. I'm having fun. ;^}:holysheep:
About a month from when I bought the clones I will not get baseball nugs but im going to get some nugssss. Yeeehaaa:holysheep:

1325186655.jpg

How much money do you have to spend and what kind of space do you have to set up a garden? There are basic requirements that EVERY garden needs--it is not up to individual style, etc.

If money is a concern, one of the things to keep in mind with CFLs is that every single month when that power bill comes, you are paying twice as much to run your CFLs when compared to HPS and about 33% more when compared to T5s. Lumen for lumen, they put out substantially more heat, cost more to operate every single month and produce substantially less bud. While adequate to veg, you will not have good results flowering with them. It is really quite heartbreaking to spend 5 months or so growing a plant to only end up with a fraction of an oz.

i have the space as im using an indoor basement/closet.fresh air etc..like i said this is my first grow and ive never taken it beyond the level im at now. i have to go to the store and price some set ups out. generally for 2-3 nice plants what type and how much are these lights?

The answer to your latest question is a matter of how big you want to go and how much money you are willing to spend. If you are interested in getting 2-3 plants to harvest and will be happy ge3tting an ounce out of it, then you can do that fairly cheap. You can get the 300w cfl lights in 2700k spectrum and rig up a holder so that you can put 4 of those in a small space and then also get 4 6500k bulbs to run for the vegging of the plants. This will work and will produce some bud, but as THG said, the results for overall cost and sweat that you put into it will be somewhat disappointing.

For about the same initial cost you can order a nice 250w HID with a digital ballast and 2 bulbs(1 MH, 1HPS) and the reflector to go with it. ($135.00 shipped to your door inside of a week from YESCOMUSA on EBAY) I have ordered several kits from them with complete satisfaction. This unit will cover an area that is 2ft x 3ft, like a small closet. You would not be able to grow them very big but they would yeild considerably better.

However there is more to growing MJ than just popping some seeds in dirt from the back yard, sticking them in some light and watering them occasionally. Growing MJ is different from growing any other plant, period. While there are some similarities, MJ is very particular to its needs, and some strains are very very particular and down rite difficult to grow unless in perfect conditions.

That said, you will need to enclose your space with reflective walls so that you maintain the most of the light energy that MJ needs. Within the right sized closet space is fine. Just make sure the walls are clean and painted flat, brilliant white, or get some reflective insulation material from the building supply. I use and like "Reflectix", it is a mylar covered bubblewrap sheet that comes in rolls and is rather inexpensive.

The next thing that is of utmost importance is your soil. DO NOT GET Miracle Grow prenuted soil or ferts as this is toooo strong and will kill the babies. The best option is to get the good soil from online hydrostores or if you have a nice hydro store nearby. you will need some quality soil or medium to grow them in and some quality nutrients. You don't have to spend a boatload to get what you need for just a few plants but you have to be willing to spend some to get decent stuff or else you are relying on luck to give you a weak to mediocre harvest at best. Good luck friend and read everything you can (especially here). :)

thank you very very much. im going to start setting up my closet. i could spend 150$ at the moment. i dont know what to expect from these girls..truly clueless. and im having a hard time understanding topping and vegging and when and how to begin the process

The first thing you need to do is to get your space set up and running. Vegging is simply the growth period of the plant when it is put under 24 hour light. When it gets larger in 2-3 weeks, we can help you with the topping part.

How large is your closet? Can you drill holes (large ones) somewhere for ventilation? Can you keep your closet absolutely 100% dark (and we do mean 100% dark) during flowering? Start watching out for good buys on growing equipment--I have found good buys on E-bay, at yard sales, and thrift stores. Some people buy off Craig's List--that seems a little scary to me unless you can remain quite anonymous. Before you buy anything, post here and someone will give you their advise. Most of us who have grown any amount of time have a storeroom of unused growing supplies--sometimes the purchase was just ill-advised.

I like to think of this as a risk vs reward type thing. I assume you are not growing legally, which makes your risk very very high.
Now in order to make the reward worth the risk you need to build a system that will grow nice buds in my opinion. If you happen to get arrested they are going to prosecute you the same if you have two plants with a little popcorn bud as vs two with massive resin dripping bud filled beauty's.
So if you are going to take the big risk, I recommend to do it right and follow the recommendations of THG and Hushpuppy as a good starting point.

Latest posts

Back