Breeding

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ganjier

Bud of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I was thinking it would be cool to cross my Banana Cream Cake with my newly arriving Strawberry Sugar and call it Strawberry Banana Shake.
Couple questions.......since both strains seeds come feminized....how do I get male pollen?
Say one of my Banana Cream Cake's slightly hermie and I get some seeds, would those seeds be female only or mixed male and female? If it doesn't hermie by itself so I need to force it to hermie to get seeds that I can use as a male?
Or can I graph both plants together as females and take a cutting off the top of the graphed ends?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. This is all new to me.
Thanks.

Maybe @CrashMagnet will weigh in. He has used colloidal silver to ‘reverse’ some plants to get pollen. You will need to clone your banana cream cake though since it will take quite a while to get your strawberry sugar to the point it could be reversed. I would read over crash’s journal though for a bit more info and search the web for feminizing seeds since that will give you step by step info on forcing female plants to throw ‘nanners.

after you find your keeper phenos. Take the sample size of 4 clones each. So you have
BCC BCC BCC BCC SS SS SS SS
2 of each will be treated w colloidal silver. 2 of each will be females. The first generation of crosses look like
BCC(M) X BCC = BCC (S1) fem
BCC(M) X SS = BCS (F1)
SS(M) X SS = SS(S1) fem
SS(M) X BCC = SBC(F1)
Then pheno hunt on the next generation. Repeat.

Last edited:
Btw the S1 will all be female

Btw the S1 will all be female
I don’t know a lot about this but thought that the pollen created with colloidal silver had only female chromosomes since it comes from a female plant. Is that wrong?

I think I typed it twice lol
Okay, so I will work on finding the best pheno with the Banana Cream Cake. Then I will sprout some Strawberry Sugar and do the same. We will revisit this then so I can actually understand this to a T.
You rock!
MMMM...Strawberry Banana Shake Baby!!!!!!

Maybe @CrashMagnet will weigh in. He has used colloidal silver to ‘reverse’ some plants to get pollen. You will need to clone your banana cream cake though since it will take quite a while to get your strawberry sugar to the point it could be reversed. I would read over crash’s journal though for a bit more info and search the web for feminizing seeds since that will give you step by step info on forcing female plants to throw ‘nanners.
Here is the process I have been using recently. It's from a micro biologist who didn't like the, err, bro science approach of miming what they saw on youtube.

Reversed plants produce probably less than 10% as much pollen as true males, so you can't just shake the plant over some plastic sheet to get lots of pollen. I remove the pollen sacs once they start to open and store them in a small paper bag to dry for several days, then grind them up in a kief collection box with some paper in the bottom to catch the pollen.

I make my own STS too, from the following dry ingredients:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084WYXPG2 for the silver nitrate, and

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JERVY5A for the sodium thiosulfate

The protocol I use for STS treatment is:

Dissolve 0.85 g silver nitrate in 50 ml distilled water (Part A)

Dissolve 0.80 g sodium thiosulfate in 50 ml distilled water (Part B)

Put each stock solution into a separate amber bottle, wrap in foil and keep in the fridge.

Slowly add 10 ml Part A into 40 ml Part B, with shaking. This is your 20 mM working solution. The mixture will keep for about a month in the fridge in an amber bottle, but then should be discarded. The separate Part A and Part B solutions are more stable and can be kept in amber bottles wrapped in aluminum foil in the fridge until needed. They will freeze solid @ 4C - just take them out and defrost before mixing them together.

Take the preflowering target plant out of the tent and spray the entire plant thoroughly (leaves, stems, etc.). Allow it to dry fully (takes a couple of hours) before returning it under the light or the spray will damage the leaves.

Repeat the spray protocol five days later. If you are worried, you can do it one more time five days after the second time, but it usually doesn't need it.

Both silver nitrate and sodium thiosulfate are available on Amazon in powder form (links above). I would not purchase the liquid form, as the dry powder lasts much longer than the liquid. I mix up only what I think I might use for the plant.

Here is the process I have been using recently. It's from a micro biologist who didn't like the, err, bro science approach of miming what they saw on youtube.

Reversed plants produce probably less than 10% as much pollen as true males, so you can't just shake the plant over some plastic sheet to get lots of pollen. I remove the pollen sacs once they start to open and store them in a small paper bag to dry for several days, then grind them up in a kief collection box with some paper in the bottom to catch the pollen.
Thank you.

Latest posts

Back