Brown tips of my fan leaves... Deficiency or over nutes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrNiceGuy1313

Reaction score
This is my first go round. I'm growing outdoors on my balcony in fla. Vegged for like 8 weeks with an 8-4-4 fert, and am now about 1 1/2 weeks into flower. These brown/burnt tips started a few weeks ago. So I drilled about 100 more holes in the bottom of the pot (only had like 5) because I thought it wasn't draining properly. Well that problem was fixed but they haven't gone away. She still looks healthy. I just switched to 10-50-10, but have only fed it once so far. Should I give more nutes or lay off. Any advice as to what the problem might be, if any?View attachment 217542View attachment 217543

Leaves will not heal themselves once they're damaged they are damaged for good if u got the problem corrected that was causing it u are fine and I would just give them nutrients once a week whatkind of nutrients is it like brand and is it powder or liquid?

That would be my guess. In hydro, I always bump the nutes up slowly. When the tips of the leaves look like yours, I either hold the PPMs there or cut back just a tad.
If it is the beginnings of nute burn, you haven't hurt the plant any.

I just tested the pH of the solution(was at 5) and watered it down to 6.3 and fed it again

After much further research. I think it's actually the beginning of spider mites. I don't want to use chemicals. Found a CALICLEAN*spray recipe. Gonna give that a try.

I believe you have nute burn. However the nutes you are using are not really good for a starting flowering nute--that appears to be more of a bloom booster than a flowering nutrient. You want something with a lot lower P for now. After looking at your nutes, I am quite certain that you have nute burn.

Your pH is a little off, too. A 6.3 reading is at the bottom end of where you want to be. Try to get up around 6.5 to 6.8. This is a link to a chart that shows nutrient uptake at differing pH levels. http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1908

No, this is NOT spider mite damage. It is a mistake to treat things you do not have. I do not know what the Caliclean recipe is, but it probably won't work. Getting rid of spider mites is a huge chore. Regardless you do not appear to have spider mites at all, so do not treat your plant for them. SNS makes some great organic products. You can use SNS 209 to prevent mite infestations. If you have a mite infestation (which you don't) use SNS 217.

Your soil also looks a bit dense, which probably gave you overwet conditions. Few store bought bag soil is good enough to be used without amendments. Most soil needs perlite and lime (at the very least) added to it.

I totally agree with THG here. The leaf tip burn is overnute burn. However, the closer look at the leaves does appear to be a new problem, possibly mites or thrips. One of the easiest first lines of defense is Azomax that can be sprayed on the plants in solution, iff they don't have flowers yet. Or it can be used in a drench that would be poured into the soil so that it is absorbed by the plant to rid it off the leaf chewers.

If the spotting that you have on the leaves is starting at the bottom of the plant and working up so that there is more damage on the lower leaves and little or none on the top leaves, then it is most likely thrips. If the damage is more to the tops of the plants, then it is more likely mites. The SNS line of "chewer killer" is also a very good product. Both the SNS and Azomax are organic and will biodegrade before harvest if you don't use them any closer than 2 weeks out from harvest. :)

Latest posts

Back