Bubble Cloner Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Track

Reaction score
So, I built a second bubble cloner. Only problem is.. it's not working.

For some reason, the cuttings are dry..

IMAG0502.jpg

The bubbles are also smaller, for some reason, even though I purchased the same exact air stones..

IMAG0500.jpg

And overall, the cuttings are not happy.

IMAG0498.jpg

So much so that I've had to drench them in the water. I figured it's not ideal but it's better than being bone-dry, right?

Can anyone give me an idea of what's going on?

Raise your water level or add more air pressure.

Raise your water level or add more air pressure.

Like I said, I raised the water level to the point that the stems are partially submerged.

And the air pressure is at the max level.

Try it like that, should work.

Well maybe the bubble cloner isn't for you. Maybe try a different method.

One problem is that you are working with cuttings that are from the top off the plant growth and have buds on them. They are going to be thee most difficult to get them to root as they are swimming in fflowering hormones. If the stems are drying out in the cloner, it is because the stems were too far from the water. I always make my cuttings long enough that they stick down a good 1-2cm into the bubbling water. Then when the water level gets low enough that it isn't touching them I immediately add more water to get it back where it was.

Once the water has gone low enough that the stem dries out, it is done. That cutting will not rehydrate and survive (in my experience). Just as well to yank it.

Well maybe the bubble cloner isn't for you. Maybe try a different method.

I don't really have anything else.

Root Riot cubes and Rockwool have both failed completely.

I did have some success with bubble before.

Also, the comment "isn't for you" makes no sense. It's like saying "growing marijuana isn't for you, maybe try growing mint instead."

One problem is that you are working with cuttings that are from the top off the plant growth and have buds on them. They are going to be thee most difficult to get them to root as they are swimming in fflowering hormones. If the stems are drying out in the cloner, it is because the stems were too far from the water. I always make my cuttings long enough that they stick down a good 1-2cm into the bubbling water. Then when the water level gets low enough that it isn't touching them I immediately add more water to get it back where it was.

Once the water has gone low enough that the stem dries out, it is done. That cutting will not rehydrate and survive (in my experience). Just as well to yank it.

No, those are from the bottom, my plant is just 4 weeks into flowering.

Good to know about the stems. I will keep them in the water and throw away the dead ones.

I just still don't understand why the bubbles would reach SOME of the cuttings while others are completely dry. How does that make sense..?

You don't clone plants that are four weeks from flip. That is nuts to think that would work. Do what these good people tell you to do. I clone in dirt. no biggie.

Track, some methods don't work well for everyone. I have used a bubbler with some success but I recently tried cloning in soil and had 100% success. Nothing against the bubbler method but the soil method worked better for me.

Pinch the cuttings off the main plant with your thumbnail and stick it in dirt. LMAO j/k

Rose, I just took cuttings off plants that were flipped about a week. In the past, I have cloned off flowering plants plenty of times. Takes longer (can't say I remember if survival rate was different) but it's certainly possible.

Taking clones off a plant that is 4 weeks into Flower is not a good idea at all. Sure you could probably get a couple to eventually throw roots but by the time they do they will be a mess up top and probably won't survive. Jmo

Taking clones off a plant that is 4 weeks into Flower is not a good idea at all. Sure you could probably get a couple to eventually throw roots but by the time they do they will be a mess up top and probably won't survive. Jmo

So, what the heck am I supposed to do?

Look, I am sorry if I sound short but I've taken about 80 cuttings up until now and only 3 of them have rooted!

I've tried practically everything and I HAVE managed to clone after flowering before, so really.. I just don't get it.

I simply don't get it. I rarely give up like this but I just don't see another choice..

As it stands, right now, I have 3 plants for next harvest. Three plants. It's like McDonald's only having 1000 Apple Pies to go around for 3 months. I don't think people will take kindly to that!

Cloning flowering plants is certainly possible but it definitely isn't the best way.

Not sure of your situation but you might try setting one of the plants back to veg and after it vegges you can take more cuttings.

Or, just keep trying. I just took cuttings from a 1 week 12/12 and they are doing fine. Granted, one week is not 4 but still, it's better than nothing.

Have you tried dirt? I tested the Fox Farms Light Warrior and it is doing great with the clones. You might try that.

Cloning flowering plants is certainly possible but it definitely isn't the best way.

Not sure of your situation but you might try setting one of the plants back to veg and after it vegges you can take more cuttings.

Or, just keep trying. I just took cuttings from a 1 week 12/12 and they are doing fine. Granted, one week is not 4 but still, it's better than nothing.

Have you tried dirt? I tested the Fox Farms Light Warrior and it is doing great with the clones. You might try that.

What's the difference between Light Warrior and just soil with perlite?

What would settings one of the plants back to veg do? It's already so far in.. will the flowers fall off?

EDIT: The temp in my bubble cloner is 85F. Is that high? Someone said I "nuked" them with that temp..

yes the water is too warm. That is one problem. You do not want to get above 80f in your water or they will not do well at all.

I also noticed that you used cuttings that had bare stems sticking into the lower part. Now this is just my opinion and the way I have found success; when I take cuttings and prepare them to go into the bubbler, I cut the stem off just about 1cm below the lowest leaf node on the stem, where the leaf was removed. I use a razor to cut that spot smooth and then very lightly skin the stem from the node down. Then immediately dip into hormone gel to prevent air embolism(air bubble in the center of the stem) from happening.

Another problem you are having is(IMO and no offense) that you are putting profit ahead of process. Cloning from flowering plants is not impossible but for some plant strains, switching over is difficult in the best of circumstances. Switching over from full on flowering is killing your odds of success. You may have to sacrifice something in order to get the results that you want down the line. Either you take one plant that is in flower and put it back under 24hr lighting to get it to revert back to the veg state, and then take cuttings when it is back to ffull vegging and is healthy, or you buy more seeds to go ffrom.

If this particular strain is the best for you and you really want to keep this particular phenotype, then you can "reveg" one of the flowering plants. If time is more important then buy new seeds and get them in the soil asap, because revegging then cloning is going to take longer than just starting new seeds. Just my opinion :)

Also, if you just cant get the bubble cloner to work for you then try cloning in coco coir. I have a friend who is an accomplished grower and he just has a fit trying to clone. He tried all off the methods with poor results, then he tried cloning in small cups off coco coir and has nearly 100% success.

You're saying I should skin the cutting all the way from the leaves to the bottom? If I'm understanding you correctly.

I managed to get the temp down to 75F with the help of an AC. No roots yet..

It's not that I'm putting profit ahead of patience. Like I said, I've taken 80 cuttings, mostly back when the plants were in veg.

By coco coir, you mean like jiffy plugs?

No not the Jiffy plugs. Coco coir is a medium made of ground coconut husk that has been washed to strip away the salts. It is a really nice medium because it feels like good soft, spongy dirt. But it drains really well while holding just the right amount of moisture for the plants' roots to thrive in. You can buy it in large bags or in compressed and dehydrated .5kg bricks or 5kg blocks. just for cloning, you shouldn't need more than a brick right now. If it works for you then you can get a block.

Let me see if I can draw you a mental picture: picture a small stem growing on the lower part of the plant. The growth is about 8" long and has 3-4 sets of leaves growing plus the very top growing bulb, that will continue to grow in length as the plant ages. Now you cut off this branch in order to use it for clone. You strip off all of the leaves that are growing out from this stem except the top 2 sets of leaves including the growth bulb. Where you cut off the lower leaves, there are bare nodes now. What I do is cut the stem off again, on an angle, right below(about 1-1.5cm) the lowest "node" where a leaf once was. Then ffrom that node down the 1cm length of stem, I gently strip the skin off the stem in a couple spots, using the blade side-ways so to not cut the stem but just skin it some to expose the material below. On thicker stems, I just split the stem lengthwise up to the node rather than skin it.

I can draw you a picture and post it if that still doesn't do it for you. Just let me know.

Oh, I.. can't find that here in Israel.

As for the cutting.. that's pretty much exactly what I do. I cut it about 1cm below the node and strip it just like you.

I'm hoping that lowering the temp will have due effect. Though, I've noticed the temp goes down to 73F at times. I wonder if that's too low..

Biggest worry is that I have to wait a week now just to find out whether this will work or not.

And if it doesn't.. then what? I've literally failed to clone in 3 different rooms and in 8 different ways.

Certainly, I must be the worst cloner this site has ever seen, no?

You will have to keep working at getting your cloner space better controlled so that you can maintain 75-80f. If it dropped down to 73, it isn't a problem but it will work best if it stays consistently within the 75-80 range.

The cuttings that I can see in the cloner in the pictures, I cant see where there is a node present on the stems below the neoprene holders, just open, bare stem.

Latest posts

Back