Bubble Hash & THCA/CBDA?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a few friends that do nothing but make concentrate products from trim. Myself, I am not into hash too much.

I know that dispensaries RAVE over his product and praise it as very medicinal, high in thc and cbd.

He has told me that the trick is pressure and heat.

I know once he makes the bubble hash, he will sift it through a flour sifter and spread it out to let it dry.

Once it is dry, he will place that on a cookie sheet and put it in the oven at 125-150 degrees for a metter of 60 -90 seconds, he will then put it in a vac seal bag and "Press" it with a custom 2 ton press.

I guess it changes it at the molecular" level and it becomes very narcotic.

Sorry for the ramblings, just my 2 cents on what I see folks do.

Thanks for the input, NCH. I personally really really like hash and I'm getting more into tinctures (as this #$%&* arthritis keeps getting worse). And as always, looking to make things better.

I found this article and it did answer a question I had about food dehydrators

Decarboxylation
By Ed Rosenthal - Thursday, January 2 2003
Tags:

Ask Ed
CC40
GROWING
Indoor

Does marijuana have to be heated to become psychoactive?

I bought a Coldfinger to make an extract, but my problem is this: Doesn't marijuana have to be heated to become psychoactive?
My solution was to put the marijuana in the oven before putting it in the Coldfinger. But I have no idea how long I should leave it in there, let alone at what temperature. I know THC boils at 392 degrees F. But other cannabinoids, which are essential to the experience, boil off much more quickly. At what temperature can I decarboxylate the THC, while still preserving some of the cannabinoids?

Hockeypoo,
Internet,

Marijuana produces THCA, an acid with the carboxylic group (COOH) attached. In its acid form, THC is not very active. It is only when the carboxyl group is removed that THC becomes psychoactive. When marijuana is smoked, the THC behind the hot spot is vaporized as the hot air from the burn is drawn through the joint or pipe bowl to the unburned material. The liquid THC and other cannabinoids have a boiling point of between 180-200? C (355-392? F). Before they turn gaseous, at around 106? C (220? F), the carboxyl group is released from the molecule as carbon dioxide and water vapor.

You will be extracting the THC using low heat in the commercially made Coldfinger Extractor. (They have a very interesting online catalog at hxxp://edenlabs.org). The THC will not reach a temperature in which decarboxylation takes place. However, if you plan to vaporize or smoke the extract decarboxylation will take place as the oil is used.
Advertisement

However, it is easy to make sure all the THC is decarboxylated and is at full strength before it is extracted. Although decarboxylation takes place rapidly at 106? C, it proceeds at a more gradual pace by placing the cannabis in a room with low relative humidity and room temperature. As the temperature rises, the rate of decarboxylation increases.

Cannabis can also be placed in a food dehydrator to remove the carboxyl group. Although the heat in the food dehydrator doesn't rise to 106? C, the temperature is warm enough to promote drying and the release of the water and CO2. When the marijuana is crispy and brittle you can be assured that the carboxyl group has been removed from the cannabinoids and they are ready for extraction or removal from the plant material.

Thanks, ziggy.

I have just started decarboxylating all trim and bud before it goes into the freezer for tincture or hash.

Hemp Goddess

Since you've started "curing" your trim have you noticed more plant matter or greener has?

I'm just getting into making it and really like this thread but in my experience dry trim (cured half @$$ in paper bags) was way greener and when I freeze it while its fresh the bubble is more blonde and looks more appealing to my taste.

Also what has been your preferred method of curing or prepping your trim?

I am not actually curing my trim. I am putting it an oven for a bit to decarbox and then into the freezer. I don't let it get dry enough that it crumbles unless I am making cannabis flour. I do think that overdry trim makes for more green in your hash.

I couldn't imagine the hash I make getting any better, that's just down right scary. That stuff already puts me in another universe! Lol. I'm interested to hear how this turns out for you THG. Are you gonna do a control as well to compare the two? Look forward to your results.

I just read it all and gives me something to try in a few months. Great reading.:icon_smile:

Just a nubie question here ... is only trimmings from the bud area of the plant used for any form of hash making or is leaves from lower on the plant useful as well. Thanks

youre collecting the trics(crystals) so any part with them on it basically. usually just the buds and surrounding leaves but if theres frost elsewhere then itll work. other parts can be used for cooking but still usually preferable to use trim and buds.

I never save any of the larger leaves--there is just not enough trichs on them to bother with them. Pretty much everything with stems gets tossed unless it is so sticky that I can't get it off my fingers.

theres so much good stuff in the fan leaves, juice them, or eat in salad. they don't get you high, but very good for ya.
thg how long and what temps do you put trim in oven?
I used to use wet trim and found it better bone dry.
I love me hash, and bubble is the only way id make it.
I have a bit of killer trim now, and 20 more plants in 2-3 months so ill try this for sure

The Hemp Goddess said:
I am not actually curing my trim. I am putting it an oven for a bit to decarbox and then into the freezer. I don't let it get dry enough that it crumbles unless I am making cannabis flour. I do think that overdry trim makes for more green in your hash.

HG please explain what cannabis flour is and what you make with it.

Cannabis flour is just ground up buds and fine trim. I put it in a low oven for about 20-30 minutes and then into a coffee grinder. It is ground to the consistency of flour. No stems or big leaves--just bud and those frosty little leaves around them. I have a peanut butter cookie recipe that uses cannabis flour. My sis loves them. However you can use it in any recipe with flour.

and when you ground it that fine, you didn't feel like it has destroyed all the trichs??? or less amount? thg?

To Decarboxylate or not?

After reading this thread I wanted to know if decarboxylation helps when making bubble Hash better?

I have a lot of trimmings from last years harvest that I want to process with a Bubble Magic 5 gallon washing machine and make into bubble hash. As of now the trimmings are frozen after curing last year and I want to do what is best.

Do I take them out and let them dry, then clean them and re-freeze them?

or

Do I decarboxylate them, then re-freeze them?

bucket.jpg

Canelo Kid, I think that there is no doubt that decarboxing gives you more THC and CBC. I don't think it matters exactly how you do it. I use only the small frosty trim and small buds for hash. I would clean it first if it is going to need it. I ran across this article while looking for something for DGF to read on decarboxing. It has a little more info.
hXXp://www.marijuanagrowershq.com/decarboxylating-cannabis-turning-thca-into-thc/

Ruffy, no I don't think grinding the trim into flour (a powder) hurt it at all. I believe that a lot of people who make edibles use cannabis flour.

great reads, I cant believe how much we still have to learn about cannabis. anyone tried the dehydrator like was posted near top of page?
it sounds better than the oven.
any one done a side by side test, from decarb to none decarb process and smoked the difference.
all my hashes come out top quality imo, but if we can make it better from the scrapes most throw out, ill take the test!
next run of trim ill try this test... thanks thg for all the yrs of knowledge you spew into this forum.

I always use all green matter other then stems for making bubble hash yup even them big fan leafs if anything they are fill for my hash giving me more of it the strain i use mostly for hash is ppp plant when making it with straight buds its to strong but adding more leaf to it brings it down to a decent level that most people would like

Latest posts

Back