Bud Rot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LilDad

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Just pruned a bud off this morning that has some bud rot on it from my Afghan Auto. She’s the one I referenced in my “Harvest Time?” Thread.

The bud was a secondary flower near the main cola and this is an indica plant with big ol fat buds. There isn’t any sign of bud rot anywhere else (it appears). Virginia is pretty balmy this time of year as well.

The plant is ready for harvest, but I was wanting to wait out some more ambering to it’s trichomes. Should I just harvest it now? I’d rather smoke a good plant that isn’t perfect to my liking than lose a whole bunch of buds on a plant that is perfect to my liking.

The attached pictures show the trichomes from the (seemingly) healthy main cola buds.

Attachments

• 759B6923-38FD-4BD3-848E-5C156AD9F2FC.jpeg
    759B6923-38FD-4BD3-848E-5C156AD9F2FC.jpeg
    42.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 75673AD7-1743-4726-B572-AE99B5DFC607.jpeg
    75673AD7-1743-4726-B572-AE99B5DFC607.jpeg
    31.1 KB · Views: 0
  • E5B681C1-E818-4E06-94E4-D363D5C3B7AF.jpeg
    E5B681C1-E818-4E06-94E4-D363D5C3B7AF.jpeg
    37.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
you said , …………

“ The plant is ready for harvest, but I was wanting to wait out some more ambering to it’s trichomes. Should I just harvest it now? I’d rather smoke a good plant that isn’t perfect to my liking than lose a whole bunch of buds on a plant that is perfect to my liking.”……..

it sounds like you have answered your own question

cheers
big

WHAT IS BUD ROT?​

Bud Rot, as it is called in the cannabis world, is a slang term for Botrytis bud rot or gray mold that damages cannabis flowers or buds. Bud rot is best defined as a specific form of fungus or mold that grows in cannabis buds. Moreover, most novice cultivators wonder what is bud rot and how does it develop? According to growers, mold begins to form in the centers of the densest buds.

REMOVAL OF BUD ROT CANNABIS​

Remove any rotten portions and surrounding regions as soon as possible. The only method used when salvaging bud rot is to remove any mold from the plant and then relocate it to a cool, dry location with a pleasant wind. Also, take special care not to allow any dried bud rot to affect the remainder of your plant. This is how to get rid of bud rot. What will happen next? You may either harvest the cannabis plant now or let it develop further, but only if the atmosphere is improved. If your plant develops bud rot cannabis, it indicates that it needs less wetness and drier air. You can leave the plant to continue ripening after removing the diseased buds if you can enhance the environment. However, if the environment is not corrected, it will generally return, occasionally attacking other buds overnight.

good info

https://premiumcultivars.com/plant-problems/bud-rot/

pop quiz at2 this afternoon. 🤡🤡🤡

WHAT IS BUD ROT?​

Bud Rot, as it is called in the cannabis world, is a slang term for Botrytis bud rot or gray mold that damages cannabis flowers or buds. Bud rot is best defined as a specific form of fungus or mold that grows in cannabis buds. Moreover, most novice cultivators wonder what is bud rot and how does it develop? According to growers, mold begins to form in the centers of the densest buds.

REMOVAL OF BUD ROT CANNABIS​

Remove any rotten portions and surrounding regions as soon as possible. The only method used when salvaging bud rot is to remove any mold from the plant and then relocate it to a cool, dry location with a pleasant wind. Also, take special care not to allow any dried bud rot to affect the remainder of your plant. This is how to get rid of bud rot. What will happen next? You may either harvest the cannabis plant now or let it develop further, but only if the atmosphere is improved. If your plant develops bud rot cannabis, it indicates that it needs less wetness and drier air. You can leave the plant to continue ripening after removing the diseased buds if you can enhance the environment. However, if the environment is not corrected, it will generally return, occasionally attacking other buds overnight.

good info

https://premiumcultivars.com/plant-problems/bud-rot/

pop quiz at2 this afternoon. 🤡🤡🤡
Thanx big. Wow it was interesting to find out that it can spread from one plant to another. I will keep an eye out on my buds.

I’ve not seen bud rot and would not know what it looks like. I also live in humid Virginia and have plants in flower… did you take a picture of the bud rot or maybe I missed it?
Alas! I did not.

The way I identified it was a single brown and curled up sugar leaf. It had browned from the stem out to the tip and was nuzzled in the middle of the bud.

Doesn't sound like any bud rot I've seen. Cut the bud off and do an autopsy on it. Bet you don't find any rot inside. It'll be light gray. At least mine were.
Tragically, it was super brown with what looked like spider webbing on the inside of the bud. It had rot. Womp womp.

On the bright side, I’m super stoked that I caught it! This is my first crop ever, so I’m viewing it as a win!

Outdoor grow in central Virginia. Bunch of guys around here have seen it...most of us are newbs...and have been startled at how fast it spreads. I had to toss my mutant midget plant last week and put a fan on my other two plants in flower. Micro grows of 4 plants and we can get fussy like that if we want. Just an ordinary el-cheapo house fan. Last year I made it all the way to the end of October with no issues, which I attribute to the fan.

That said, I'm getting the impression that autoflowers (genetics?) may be particularly vulnerable. Or maybe it's just that the buds are fattening up during this real humid stretch, when the photos are still in pre-flower rather than in September.

Outdoor grow in central Virginia. Bunch of guys around here have seen it...most of us are newbs...and have been startled at how fast it spreads. I had to toss my mutant midget plant last week and put a fan on my other two plants in flower. Micro grows of 4 plants and we can get fussy like that if we want. Just an ordinary el-cheapo house fan. Last year I made it all the way to the end of October with no issues, which I attribute to the fan.

That said, I'm getting the impression that autoflowers (genetics?) may be particularly vulnerable. Or maybe it's just that the buds are fattening up during this real humid stretch, when the photos are still in pre-flower rather than in September.
My theory is that for Autoflower plants (I’m growing indica strains in particular), the buds are fattening up during the most humid/rainy part of the summer.

My intention for solving this next year is to put germinated seeds into the ground mid April instead of early May.

I’ve also been growing now for about 3 months. Any insight from folks with experience doing this?

My theory is that for Autoflower plants (I’m growing indica strains in particular), the buds are fattening up during the most humid/rainy part of the summer.

My intention for solving this next year is to put germinated seeds into the ground mid April instead of early May.

I’ve also been growing now for about 3 months. Any insight from folks with experience doing this?

as long as there is no danger of frost you should be ok

as long as there is no danger of frost you should be ok
In Virginia there’s always a threat of anything. But, the final frost tends to be around mid-April and it’s smooth sailing after that. I’ll likely start germing the day of the “final frost” and start the first week or two off indoors.

I feel like I’d rather cut it close and take a risk with frost then wait too long and deal with the guarantee of July-August in Virginia.

Last edited:
I live in the swamp, very humid...found budrot not more than 10 minutes ago...I'm trying to run urkles girl to 10 weeks and one flower turned brown and got moldy...just noticed it when I was feeding them...the brown wasn't there 2 days ago but I know that rot was...mebbe gonna take her at 8+ weeks...do NOT smoke any part of the rotted flower...I scoped the rest of the flower and see evidence of rot creeping into the rest of the flower...
budrot.JPG

I get bud rot on every grow. Man that sounds terrible, but I catch it quickly and just snipe off like 3-4 large bud sites and it's fine. It's always 65% or more ambient and in my grow tent 70-75%. Tried a dehumidifier but my $100 one didn't do good enough job and I'm not going to spend $400 for one just to cut off a few buds.

I inspect my plants between the colas every 2-3 days so I haven't had to trash entire plants yet. *Fingers crossed!*

Bud rot sucks.

Never had bud rot on an indoor grow. My one and only outdoor grow had a few rot victims. It was my own damn fault. The beginning of fall was a wet one that year, and I was too stupid/lazy to go out and blow the buds off with a leaf blower. Only lost 3 or 4 big buds, but it was unnecessary. My mistake, one that I'll not make again.

Latest posts

Back