Bud washing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockey55

Reaction score
Hey everyone hope all are doin well got a couple new pics to show as well as a couple of questions, first one is bud washing is it recomended for an outdoor grow and the second one is here inTn our county is know for producing the worlds finest darkfired tobacco with that will the heavy smoke from the barns fireing have any taste ornoutcome on my girl tricomes are still clear 10 weeks buds are fatting up just curious this is my first grow and several have been realy helpful and help me save my plant a few weeks ago

Attachments

• 7195D84D-3DFD-4054-819F-DF4DFC37E1F8.jpeg
    7195D84D-3DFD-4054-819F-DF4DFC37E1F8.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 59D1D63A-D37F-45C3-A490-96A09A3879D6.jpeg
    59D1D63A-D37F-45C3-A490-96A09A3879D6.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 23
  • F796C859-2931-4E01-B465-265080C83155.jpeg
    F796C859-2931-4E01-B465-265080C83155.jpeg
    43.3 KB · Views: 25
  • C3D7DCFA-8554-406C-B323-BF223D8463A0.jpeg
    C3D7DCFA-8554-406C-B323-BF223D8463A0.jpeg
    87.6 KB · Views: 24
I’ve never washed any outdoor plants...that’s why they are outdoors...let the rain wash them , or not....all that outdoor environment adds to the dankness

and I doubt the smoke from the tobacco barns will have any effect on the smell flavor or taste of your crop

by the way , what flavors are you growing?

Just have the one as far as i know it is white tahoe cookies but idk for sure had a huge garden and just said yea ill give it a shot and here we are started june 13 outdoors middle tn

Sampled some smelled like hay , works just sticky and sooo sweet and good smelling

I tried it this year after watching someone else do it. I does make sense to me and when I was done the water was filthy BUT IF YOUR ON A COLD WELL warm you water up close to the temperature out side or a lot of those beautiful jewels will snap right off. My water comes out at 54 degrees. FYI they use cold water to make hash. U-Tube, although liberal, is a great source of info..........................or not LMAO

Yes just plain o water. I've heard that people flavor the water for smell and taste.

Swear to god. When I come across it again, I'll copy the link. It made sense to me when I read it except the flavoring. First time I might as well made hash cause the water was to cold. The second time I just gently put the trimmed up branch in the tub of water, with the temperature as close to the air temp as you can get it. Then gently GENTLY wave back and forth a few times. I then take it out and set them on a 1/2" wire screen to drain excess water whilst I finish the rest. I take my electric leaf blower and, from a safe distance, get most of the rest of the water off. I have a homemade curing rack that constantly keeps air moving through the bud during the drying process at 70 degrees because mold can grew from 75 to 80 degrees and I set the humidifier for 60. It takes between 7 - 10 days and your ready to jar. I will take before and after pics of the bud and the water after next time. Luckily I live in a mostly ecologically clean area but we get a lot of air pollution (smog) from western New York in the air stream. I'm no granola but why you smoke it as well as breath it.

Last edited:
Oh wait. I misread. I thought ya meant watering the plants with flavored water would result in the taste. Oops
Yes i can believe soaking your plant material in a flavored solution could result in changing the taste.

Hey everyone hope all are doin well got a couple new pics to show as well as a couple of questions, first one is bud washing is it recomended for an outdoor grow and the second one is here inTn our county is know for producing the worlds finest darkfired tobacco with that will the heavy smoke from the barns fireing have any taste ornoutcome on my girl tricomes are still clear 10 weeks buds are fatting up just curious this is my first grow and several have been realy helpful and help me save my plant a few weeks ago

Well, you all must know by now that the news from western Oregon is smoke and lots of wildfires. For two days, everything was deep orange in color. Everything. Then we had a day or two of yellow. Both the orange and yellow days featured a light, nearly constant drifting of ash from the fires, even though I'm about 50 miles away from the blazes. I have two healthy cannabis plants in the back yard that show a healthy coating of trichomes, so I figure that from now until we get some rains heavier than a drizzle, I'll let them mature. So I might harvest them in about 7-10 days. So here's my issue. It's the ash from the wildfires. This afternoon I brought out my jeweler's loupe and examined the buds to find that they've collected a lot of small ash particles. I used a yard blower to clean the buds. No luck. I'm thinking about putting the hose nozzle on "mist" and dousing them with a good coating to see if that does the trick. I'm not sure what will do the trick. I read from one or two posters here something about using water to clean the buds. I don't quite know what that means. Does it mean submerging them in water before hanging them up AFTER harvesting? Or will spraying them with water while in pots do the trick? I don't want to add any force to the buds as I might dislodge the trichomes. Any ideas?

Well, you all must know by now that the news from western Oregon is smoke and lots of wildfires. For two days, everything was deep orange in color. Everything. Then we had a day or two of yellow. Both the orange and yellow days featured a light, nearly constant drifting of ash from the fires, even though I'm about 50 miles away from the blazes. I have two healthy cannabis plants in the back yard that show a healthy coating of trichomes, so I figure that from now until we get some rains heavier than a drizzle, I'll let them mature. So I might harvest them in about 7-10 days. So here's my issue. It's the ash from the wildfires. This afternoon I brought out my jeweler's loupe and examined the buds to find that they've collected a lot of small ash particles. I used a yard blower to clean the buds. No luck. I'm thinking about putting the hose nozzle on "mist" and dousing them with a good coating to see if that does the trick. I'm not sure what will do the trick. I read from one or two posters here something about using water to clean the buds. I don't quite know what that means. Does it mean submerging them in water before hanging them up AFTER harvesting? Or will spraying them with water while in pots do the trick? I don't want to add any force to the buds as I might dislodge the trichomes. Any ideas?
Ok, folks. I just wandered over to YouTube and watched a few tutorials. I didn't know that bud washing was an actual "thing" until now. So there's the standard technique of baking soda and lemon juice following by a water rinse. I can see how this sequence would REALLY help in getting rid of the ash from a wildfire. Nonetheless, if there are alternative techniques for doing a harmless cleansing of dirty buds, please post. Thanks.

Wow! As microscopic as trichomes are, a big enough rain drop could knock off thousands. Idk what I'd do to remain stealthy, and bring them to harvest. Tricky situation. Last year was my first time outdoors since...... 1976 or so. Good luck.

Hey Eyeball,I feel for you,nothing like something outta your control throwing you a curve ball at the last minute.I saw a post on another forum from a person,who used peroxide and water to wash his buds in.Really paranoid about mold was why he used peroxide.I don't know about using an acid like lemon juice and an alkaline like baking soda.But if has been shown effective and little adverse affects maybe it will work for you.You are going to lose a few Trichomes thru trimming,hanging, you get the picture.I don't think a water dunk in a Very Light mix would hurt.But due to the stickiness of the trichomes it will probably take some patience.Something astringent enough to break the static bound of the trichs will probably dissolve them as well.Good Luck!With whatever you decide,drop me a line with your results,I am curious.And Stay Safe my friend!!

Hey Eyeball,I feel for you,nothing like something outta your control throwing you a curve ball at the last minute.I saw a post on another forum from a person,who used peroxide and water to wash his buds in.Really paranoid about mold was why he used peroxide.I don't know about using an acid like lemon juice and an alkaline like baking soda.But if has been shown effective and little adverse affects maybe it will work for you.You are going to lose a few Trichomes thru trimming,hanging, you get the picture.I don't think a water dunk in a Very Light mix would hurt.But due to the stickiness of the trichomes it will probably take some patience.Something astringent enough to break the static bound of the trichs will probably dissolve them as well.Good Luck!With whatever you decide,drop me a line with your results,I am curious.And Stay Safe my friend!!
Thanks for your reply, all, and your comments. The YouTube tutorials seem consistent and the might be harmless. Those on the tutorials tell us that the dunking has to be done carefully and that the colas must NOT touch the sides of the washing or rinsing trays to protect the trichomes. So it's a delicate process. I'm not excited about any of it. For me, personally, I don't think the particles make a lot of difference since I vape the herb and the wood particles must reach a hight temperature to combust. But others smoke, so I've got to get the stuff off the colas. I'll let all of you know the outcome. Thanks once again.

i often use the peroxide method. I don't like to use juice and soda since i don't want their residue on my buds. I do it similar to this video by George Cervantes . if i feel that their flowering period was free of dusty days, i just shower them with a hose. After I tried it and saw how much dirty stuff floats, i felt like it's a very good thing to do. The peroxide will affect the trichs a little bit imo, not sure by how much but i dont think it is significant effect and any effect will be outweighed by the clean smoke after.

Latest posts

Back