Budding Too Soon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grass hopper

Reaction score
Got 12 plants in my 3rd annual garden. 2 autos, knee height, just starting to flower. 10 regular plants, IG13s. I started early this year and most plants are waist high already. 2 of them have started to flower all over. These are not autos. I believe they've flowered because of the shortness of daylight. I've read they will go back to the veg state when days grow longer.
My brother tells me I'm in for problems. The stress caused to the plants going back to the veg cycle will cause these plants to become hermaphrodites??? And, in turn will cause all my plants to seed.
Is this true?? Should I pull these two beautiful plants? What % of THC would be lost? On the up side, I would have enough seeds to last a lifetime.
Please help - thanks.

033.JPG

The stress may cause it to hermie if that gene is a dominate gene. But if you got good genes I would not worry about it, it does stress it but not that much. If it does hermie please throw the seeds out. They are hermie seeds and will just be problems for you and anyone you give them to.

Do not pull them let them go.

No thc loss unless they start producing seeds. When they are making seeds it takes energy away from producing thc.

I think that is happening to a few of us around here. It is me. I am not worried about it. I have good genetics..but you are right they will be monsters by fall.

Yeah it does every year Rose.

Growers are transplanting from 24/ 7 to their outdoor lighting and this shocks them to flower. It has happened to me too. I just make sure I have a high N source for them when I transplant them and hope this is good enough to delay flowering until the shock is over.

Mine are about 3 weeks from harvest. I do a spring crop every year with clones rooted over the winter. Just wait for the last frost and stick their butts outside.

I can hide them between my garlic plants, but no one is looking anyway, not in April and May, not like Aug and Sept.

For the OP, let them go. You may need to plant some more seeds for a fall harvest, but you will have some smoke in the meantime.

I would start the seeds soon, near the solstice (June 21/22).

Wet

Mine do the same thing every year. I just let them go and the adjust themselves over the summer. No problems with hermies.

Latest posts

Back