Bugus Monkey's new and improved puzzle basement and various ramblings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Morrow, Crinkle, Frazetta"
1663952047947.png

This Fox Farms mix/solution starts out looking like weak chocolate milk and in about 24 hours it seems to separate out into clear water with a bunch of bigger coagulated like particulates in it. Lights are currently out, in a couple hours I will be posting pictures. Does anyone know if this is a problem? Everything looking good so far growth wise. I PH down to 5.8 with small splash of down everyday. Mix is 3/4 strength.

Attachments

• Oct1,22.jpeg
    Oct1,22.jpeg
    751.8 KB · Views: 0
Picts of = Fresh topside pict (Today after lights came back on), Chart Duh LOL, stirred up, settled out, settlement and roots and setting...

Is there any other FF Hydro people here who have had this same issue and is it even a problem???

Attachments

• Topside.jpeg
    Topside.jpeg
    831.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Chart.jpeg
    Chart.jpeg
    833 KB · Views: 0
  • Stirred.jpeg
    Stirred.jpeg
    632.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Settled.jpeg
    Settled.jpeg
    774.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Settlement.jpeg
    Settlement.jpeg
    882.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Roots&Setup.jpeg
    Roots&Setup.jpeg
    878.8 KB · Views: 0
Looks like a pretty big gap between roots and water. In my very limited experience, that's not a good thing. I would raise the water level until the roots grew longer. In my first DWC grow I kept the water level just below the baskets, so the bubbles would dampen the roots.

The hoses along the topside are connected to a fountain pump on a timer below. I do know what you are saying about the DWC stuff but every so often those things are fed automatically topside. For me only, The only reason I run the bubblers too is to keep things stirred (So I Thought) and to keep the solution oxygenated. Kind of a hybred of DWC and recirculating system on a timer.

The pictures are a little deceiving - There is 20 Gal of solution in that picture.

Picts of = Fresh topside pict (Today after lights came back on), Chart Duh LOL, stirred up, settled out, settlement and roots and setting...

Is there any other FF Hydro people here who have had this same issue and is it even a problem???
I wonder what it would do if you dissolved it in a gallon of warm water that added it to the rest

I wonder what it would do if you dissolved it in a gallon of warm water that added it to the rest
Or adding an agitator or some sort. What is the PPM of the clear water? Maybe contact Fox Farm to see if they have seen this happen and what their solution might be.

Or adding an agitator or some sort. What is the PPM of the clear water? Maybe contact Fox Farm to see if they have seen this happen and what their solution might be.
I believe he is using Dry Nutes and maybe they are just that they don't dissolve without some residue left over
I would also ask FF

Mix it the day before you are going to feed. I usually throw it into a gallon or 3 gallon jug. Half the water you are going to use. Shake it up. Shake it up whenever you walk by. No tools required. Typically it's just not fully dissolved and people are impatient. Patience is a virtue

I see that kind of residue when I use calcium nitrate and Epsom salt instead of calmag. The calcium nitrate has some sort of coating that doesn't seem to ever fully disolve. Hasn't been a problem, though.

General Hydroponics Cal/Mag, but haven't started cal/mag yet.. Anyone have any thoughts?
Has to be at least one more FF Hydro person out there?
Sorry, I somehow missed you were using FF instead of GH nutes. FF Big Bloom has loads of sediment, supposedly bits of worm castings and bat guano. It's supposed to be there. I don't think it will hurt anything, even if you use a pump to run a chiller, but if it's settling to the bottom, you might not be getting the best mix of nutes.

Latest posts

Back