building a box for 400w grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
zem said:
why does no one talk in fractions anymore? I size my 400w rooms 3x2.5 but thats just me...

:aok: :ciao: :48:

decided to go with a closet,.it measures 4'2" x 2'4" x5'4",..can use rod tho hang light from,..already got exhaust ducting in it for dryer,..an convenient to add more ducting an electricity....now if i could get these bb's to pop...

I use closets. It is what works for me. Will it be a problem keeping it dark when you get to flowering?

lots of peeps do closets, I dislike the fire concern/heat aspect....dirty rocks one also very successfully...mojo sir, if you set it up proper, you will succeed because you already got the grow part down...:cool:

I really don't think that the closet is any more dangerous or more of a fire concern than any other place would be. You have to deal with the heat regardless. I have a dedicated 20 amp circuit run to the flowering closet. The vegging closet runs off a 15 amp circuit that doesn't have much else on it.

The Hemp Goddess said:
I really don't think that the closet is any more dangerous or more of a fire concern than any other place would be. You have to deal with the heat regardless. I have a dedicated 20 amp circuit run to the flowering closet. The vegging closet runs off a 15 amp circuit that doesn't have much else on it.
that's entirely true. I build grow boxes out of plywood, carton and even use styrofoam if needed, very flammable material, I just control the areas where there is any wiring, I like to hang wires on brick walls always raised so that if any wiring catches fire, nothing else burns

Since I was in a closet with a dedicated circuit, I ran outlet boxes on the 2 long walls--5 in total with a GFI first in line--to keep from hanging to string wires everywhere. I had an electrician install the new breaker and run line to the space. The space is 2 closets I made into one that is off my master bathroom. I told him I was putting a jetted tub into the space. From there, I could install outlets myself. If your space is hot enough that fire is a concern, it is far too hot for your plants. If your wiring is substandard in any way, it is going to be a concern anywhere you are. I personally love having my grow in closets--entirelycontained within my master bedroom/bathroom space.

heat shouldn't be a concern,...proper ducting an ventilation should take care of heat,...an totally dark for flowering wont be a issue ether...outlets plenty convenient for electricity!!

ended up haveing to get glass cut to fit...but got my temperd glass for my hood,..hoping to have ready for grow in few weeks

You need to do more than just make sure outlets are convenient. You need to make sure that you are not going to overload anything. Make sure you KNOW what else is running on the same circuit so you can estimate the amperage being used. Have you got your ventilation set up?

I had to have a piece of tempered glass made for a hood I got. You can't cut tempered glass, so they probably cut the glass and then tempered it.

Keep us informed on how things are going. It is great to have your space up and dialed in before you pop seeds.

lord its been 3 years since ive posted,..had to ax the closet idea wireing in house not enuff to set grow up.....but still got every thing and gonna set up a small metal building in back yard and have it wired up right here over next few months and finnaly grow my own....

Welcome back! great you get to grow now... It is the best, growing pot.. Look forward to hearing about it.

cool welcome back! Wiring for a smallish grow op is not that intensive, a 600w room with all the fans and equipment should not be drawing more than 1Kw, less than a hair dryer, less than half electric ovens and a fraction of water heaters' draw. Anyway, congrats for your new metal building, I strongly advise you to shade it from to with something above the metal, because that will turn into an oven in sunlight, and insulate the walls and ceiling so that it doesn't turn into a fridge in the cold, as metal is transfers heat and cold from the outside to the inside

Welcome back! Glad to hear you have a plan. I always run a dedicted circuit for a grow room. Like zem said, make sure you insulate the shed well. Aand good luck!

Latest posts

Back