Burnt tips on two of my plants

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SubmarineGirl

Reaction score
First time grow. My tips are burning on two of my plants. My situation below. Sorry if it’s a bit of a read, just wanted to give all the information I could think of…

• (6 week old plants in vegetation. Granddaddy purple and gorilla glue,seed bank seeds ordered from ILGM) unfortunately even tho I read and listened to how important it was to label, I mixed up the plants while transplanting so I’m not sure which is which. I do know that three are GDP and two are GG)
  • (They were transplanted in 7 gallon nursery pots about 10 days ago I started them out on fox farm ocean forest and their third and last transplant was in a mix of Happy Frog, organic soil and perlite. I haven’t used a lot of nutrients since my new soil had enough but have provided nutrients the week prior to transplanting them into their final containers as well as 5 days after transplanting them. I gave them a dose of grow big and tiger bloom based on label directions with balanced PH of 6.5. Other than that, I’ve just been watering with PH 6.5 tap water at less than 200 ppm. I get minimum run off as I don’t want to waste the nutrients in the new soil. I water when the plants are a bit lighter in weight about every three days)
  • I’m running spider farmer SF-2000 lights in my indoor set up about 20” from plant tops in a 2x4 tent. I’ve been running them on 100% for a few weeks now even two weeks before the last transplant. The plants have grown beautifully under theses conditions. I maintain mid 70s f day and night and just over 50% humidity for the entire vegetation stage. Since noticing the burnt tips, I raised the light about 8” and turned them down to about 75%. I have a 4” ventilation fan as well as a clip fan to move the leaves around a bit. I have a small humidifier I have used a few days to bring the humidity up to 50%
  • I recently defoliated my plants under the screen of green to promote top growth and have been using scrog techniques to manage the heights and fill in the screen. I plan to put them into flower in about two weeks. I did notice that after defoliation much more light was available to the plant screen. Two days later I noticed the burnt edges on two of the plants. ( perhaps the two GG? Just noting as I’m looking for any differences in the plants I mixed up being a novice at this stuff…) this is the point where I raised the lights and turned them down to 75%

I’m hoping that this was just a sunburn and I caught it in time to recover as I want my girls to be as happy and healthy as they can be. Any recommendations will be kindly appreciated.

Attachments

• 04CA2C51-5598-436D-BE85-F129B20B3E38.jpeg
    04CA2C51-5598-436D-BE85-F129B20B3E38.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 46563C4F-E2B9-441A-91E9-39BDECA43B7E.jpeg
    46563C4F-E2B9-441A-91E9-39BDECA43B7E.jpeg
    184.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Could be sunburn. I am more of a hydro guy. Use straight water for a week, maybe 2 or more, because, like you said, the medium comes with enough nutrients. Maybe wait just a little longer to water depending on your situation. I had plants that were being overwatered and had that before. And keep a close eye on it. And please any of the OG's (My name for the Older Growers) chime in here.

Could be sunburn. I am more of a hydro guy. Use straight water for a week, maybe 2 or more, because, like you said, the medium comes with enough nutrients. Maybe wait just a little longer to water depending on your situation. I had plants that were being overwatered and had that before. And keep a close eye on it. And please any of the OG's (My name for the Older Growers) chime in here.
I will let my plants dry a bit more in case the two plants got to much water in their new pots. I’m just getting use to how much water to give them to avoid runoff and make sure they don’t drown in to much water. They each got about 3/4 gallon their first water. The smaller pots were easier to manage than the monster pots under the screen are. Thank you for your comment

First time grow. My tips are burning on two of my plants. My situation below. Sorry if it’s a bit of a read, just wanted to give all the information I could think of…

• (6 week old plants in vegetation. Granddaddy purple and gorilla glue,seed bank seeds ordered from ILGM) unfortunately even tho I read and listened to how important it was to label, I mixed up the plants while transplanting so I’m not sure which is which. I do know that three are GDP and two are GG)
  • (They were transplanted in 7 gallon nursery pots about 10 days ago I started them out on fox farm ocean forest and their third and last transplant was in a mix of Happy Frog, organic soil and perlite. I haven’t used a lot of nutrients since my new soil had enough but have provided nutrients the week prior to transplanting them into their final containers as well as 5 days after transplanting them. I gave them a dose of grow big and tiger bloom based on label directions with balanced PH of 6.5. Other than that, I’ve just been watering with PH 6.5 tap water at less than 200 ppm. I get minimum run off as I don’t want to waste the nutrients in the new soil. I water when the plants are a bit lighter in weight about every three days)
  • I’m running spider farmer SF-2000 lights in my indoor set up about 20” from plant tops in a 2x4 tent. I’ve been running them on 100% for a few weeks now even two weeks before the last transplant. The plants have grown beautifully under theses conditions. I maintain mid 70s f day and night and just over 50% humidity for the entire vegetation stage. Since noticing the burnt tips, I raised the light about 8” and turned them down to about 75%. I have a 4” ventilation fan as well as a clip fan to move the leaves around a bit. I have a small humidifier I have used a few days to bring the humidity up to 50%
  • I recently defoliated my plants under the screen of green to promote top growth and have been using scrog techniques to manage the heights and fill in the screen. I plan to put them into flower in about two weeks. I did notice that after defoliation much more light was available to the plant screen. Two days later I noticed the burnt edges on two of the plants. ( perhaps the two GG? Just noting as I’m looking for any differences in the plants I mixed up being a novice at this stuff…) this is the point where I raised the lights and turned them down to 75%

I’m hoping that this was just a sunburn and I caught it in time to recover as I want my girls to be as happy and healthy as they can be. Any recommendations will be kindly appreciated.
It's possible but I doubt it's over lighting. I usually only give ph'd RO + calmag during veg. Just finished GDP in 2x4 with Mars Hydro SP3000 at 20 inches, 100%.

Make sure they get a chance to dry before re-water.

Bubba

It's possible but I doubt it's over lighting. I usually only give ph'd RO + calmag during veg. Just finished GDP in 2x4 with Mars Hydro SP3000 at 20 inches, 100%.

Make sure they get a chance to dry before re-water.

Bubba
Thanx Bubba 🙂

It could be what i call turn and burn. Which is what happens when you over feed a little. Thats was how i use to know my girls was getting enough food. When i seen the turn and burn i would back off the ferts a little. Never caused me any problems.

I usually have some "tip" burn, as it gets worse, the tips of the saw edges burn too, then the entire edges of the leaves.

Most nute "directions" seem hot to me....

Bubba

Looking good girl. Burnt tips are normal on a well fed plant. Like Big said you could back off on the nutes a bit....all my plants have burnt tips.
That’s so good to hear. I really have nothing to compare my grow to. It seems that it’s going good as they are beautiful to me 🥰 don’t even know if it’s a normal grow. You are the first to comment that they look good. Thanks for your comment. I’m gonna let them dry out a bit more before I water again then also back off the nutrients until flower stage which I think will be in a couple of weeks if I can keep them screen height.

Latest posts

Back