burying the pot with the plant outdoors?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sanchez

Reaction score
i got some seedlings going right now which should be showing sex in about two months. provided some are fem, I was thinking about transplanting them outside this spring and letting em be until the fall.

problem is, the sun shines fierce here in the summer (like over 40oC) and so there's going to be a lot of photosynthesis going on for three months. I don't want them to get 10' tall (cause they'll be found for sure) so I got this idea - transplanting them in 8" - 10" containers - and planting them in the ground with the pot. Logically that would constrict root growth and overall plant height. Is this idea stupid or am I on to something?

no, that would work... but i'll tell ya... u'll want a bigger container then that =)

You need a gallon of dirt for a foot of easy growth.

While they're in vegetative growth, you can just trim them. You can trim off 30% of the plant mass without stressing the plant enough to make a hermaphrodite. If you trim the plant once a week, you can keep it any size you want. A pot in the ground, and you're looking at possible problems with root drowning and pests.

Good luck man!

If you top your plant more than a couple of times, then you will end up with many tips but it will be popcorn buds and that will not be much yield.

The pot idea isn't bad if it went well.. but if the roots grew none at all, then of course, the plant would grow none at all. If you buried the pot deep and there was stalk above it which had been covered with soil, then it could grow some>>>how much it would grow? it would be a good experiment.

A sure way of limiting growth is to limit nutrients. So unless the soil was very full of nutrients, then the plant would be only be able to grow as much as you fed it. And hole size>>if the soil needs digging before you plant because it is hard, then you might just dig a hole that is small; like maybe the size of a five gallon bucket<<<such a hole in hard ground should allow a plant about 1 meter or 1.3 tall (3 1/2 - 4 feet).

and heighth has to depend on strain too. A predominently indica strain will not grow over 2.1 meters anyway (7 feet)<<and that one will need love.

You could try bending it over too. Start when it is pliable and add a string to the ground every now and then to keep it horizontally oriented.

i got a good idea. I have 8 babies, 4 I'll keep under lights, and the other 4 I'll transplant outside. For the ones outside I'll bury 1 with the pot, I'll plant one normal and do an LST, I'll prune the other and the last one is going to just grow au naturel. No nutes. The results we'll see at harvest. I'll start a grow journal around April. Thanks for all the replies. :)

..multiple topped "popcorn" buds..

Nice outside multi-topped plant Hick. Looks like about four toppings.

Here's some Indoor/Hydro Big Bud that was topped over and over until each plant had about 30 tops:

BigBudWeek4-1.JPG

Your buds are more along the result which can be expected if one tops many times; and if your strain weren't BigBud, then those tops would really be along the lines of what one can expect with multiple toppings.

Hick said:
..multiple topped "popcorn" buds..

Your picture is not typical for most strains. The technique you used is one that is highly dependant on strain and on timing/placement of the toppings. I believe it is good to give beginner growers a realistic idea of what results they can expect from their grows.

and it is true that if one performs many toppings of most strains, then one will end up with popcorn buds.

instead of a sarcastic reply, it would be more positive if you created text which details how to achieve a decent grow.

and btw, your plant would have produced a significant amount more if you had not topped.

Perhaps the budding scientist who started this thread will be able to help you one day if his pot in the ground method results in the higher harvests that the new technique of double potting has given the community.

http://www.drugs-forum.com/growfaq/857.htm

C: Your buds are more along the result which can be expected if one tops many times; and if your strain weren't BigBud, then those tops would really be along the lines of what one can expect with multiple toppings.

SB: Nope. I've grown many, many strains and topped each multiple times. Each time I've done so, I've had buds that are just like what I showed in the pic of the Big Bud. If a plant is given the proper nutrients and light, their is nothing that will cause buds any smaller than what I've shown. Without proper nutes and light, popcorn buds will be the result of any grow, topped or not.

C: Your picture is not typical for most strains. The technique you used is one that is highly dependant on strain and on timing/placement of the toppings. I believe it is good to give beginner growers a realistic idea of what results they can expect from their grows.

SB: The results that Hick and I got from multiple toppings *is* the realistic result of proper growing. Hick has several decades of outside growing to support his results and I have more than 40 years of growing both outside and inside. I've had hundreds of crops.

C: and it is true that if one performs many toppings of most strains, then one will end up with popcorn buds.

SB: No, I'm sorry, but that's simply not true. It depends on nutrients, lights, and proper plant care to maximize bud growth.

C: instead of a sarcastic reply, it would be more positive if you created text which details how to achieve a decent grow.

SB: The replies from Hick and I were "toungue in cheek" because we've discovered that what you're saying isn't the way it really is. No insult was intended by either of us.

C: and btw, your plant would have produced a significant amount more if you had not topped.

SB: Again, that's not true. It's been found that if all variables are equal with the exception of topping, then the resulting harvest from both topped and untopped plants is nearly identical. The HUGE kolas on an untopped plant will be larger than on the topped plants, but the topped plants will have more buds of lesser size and result in a total mass of equal weight. This type of comparison isn't true in inside grows because of height restrictions.[/quote]

Mind if I chime in?
The reason for topping, LST, Scrog and/or supercropping is to maintain an even canopy with controlled ht. allowing the artificial light to penetrate evenly so that the entire plant receives as much precious indoor lumens as possible. This prevents the monster cola with whispy, airy, popcorn buds at the bottom of the plant due to lack of light.
IMHO:
I do beleive if done right yeild could be a little higher if the technique is used properly and does not create excess stress on the plant.
IMHO: Outdoor training/topping is for concealment purposes.

The reason no one can give you the perfect practice is each strain and each plant is different. There are so many variables it is impossible to isolate one correct practice. Some strains do not respond well to topping while other respond amazingly well. As with anything it comes down to experience and trying each method...finding what works for you and your garden. ;)

At first, your reply kind of made me angry. However, as a Moderator here on this site, I haven't the luxury of speaking my mind to those who irritate me, and neither do I allow others to show anger on the site. That's what PM's are for.

I disagree strongly with the methods you say you've used. I will however, let each member decide what they think of what you advise.

Following anyone's advice here is the choice of each member, as well as their risk. If someone follows advice and it harms or kills their crop, then that is truly their risk.

My advice is based on the crops that I show pictures of. The members can look at my results and decide if they wish to have weed like I've grown.

Please keep in mind that tact and politeness is what we use here on this site. Other sites allow aggressive posting, snide wise cracks and flaming. We do not. We keep a very peaceful site going here.

ahhh cakes...
seems you really get your 'panties in a bunch" if someone disagrees with you.
Probably why you are here, where the entire community is "NOT" allowd to flame you and your advice right off the board.
neither one of you saw fit to give the original poster any real advice.
...sometimes simply refuting poor advise is beneficial...

Let me make this perfectly clear...
You are not going to be allowed to come in here posting ill advise and not have it reputed and/or questioned. ..many of your tactics and methods are totally out of line with every tried and tested "Grow Guide" and botany article I've ever seen. ..and "IMHO" would likely kill most mj plants.
You will not be allowed to post inflamatory remarks..as in " I think you guys don't know much,"..."I can see by your grow that you are unequipped too, so stop preaching to me dude"...
Look around here. We don't speak to other members like that. We show respect..AND we demand respect be shown to every member.

..these are the rules. If you don't care to abide by them, find another forum.
I've been very nice...even in pm. You are egging for a fight.

....and I won't even start... or I'd be thrown out with the garbage.

where the entire community is "NOT" allowd to flame you and your advice right off the board.
..thank you KADE :D

On re-reading my own yakkin...

"tact and politeness is what we use here"

And we is what we is, is what Popeye is sayin it is.

"are", Stoney...tact and politeness *are* what we use here.

Hhahahahahaha, I'm killin me.

sanchez said:
i got a good idea. I have 8 babies, 4 I'll keep under lights, and the other 4 I'll transplant outside. For the ones outside I'll bury 1 with the pot, I'll plant one normal and do an LST, I'll prune the other and the last one is going to just grow au naturel. No nutes. The results we'll see at harvest. I'll start a grow journal around April. Thanks for all the replies. :)

Hey sanchez, wheeewwwwww! That sort of got off track....all us guys started running around marking our territory. Hahahahahaha

Please, forgive us.

Hehe

Mybad

Hey, I'm really not sure what the seasons are where you are, so I can't really tell you how to treat your plants in real time.

Is there some kind of identifier we can use like "Zone 12, inch 43". Hahahaha, hey, Hick is one of the best outdoor growers I've ever known in my life. If you tell him what's going on with your outside grow, he'll help you Ace it.

If you want to do Hydro inside, then you tell me what you're wanting to do, and we'll figure out how to get you growing.

Lights? There has to be someone who sells the lights they use in all the office buildings where you are. In my area, I have one that calls itself an "Advanced Home Lighting Company". They have everything.

You've peaked my curiosity now. Let us all know how you do, ok?

stoney bud said:
Please keep in mind that tact and politeness is what we use here on this site. Other sites allow aggressive posting, snide wise cracks and flaming. We do not. We keep a very peaceful site going here.
01-007 09:14 AM

Hick said:
..these are the rules. If you don't care to abide by them, find another forum.
Hick and stoney your absolutely right...;)
Thread closed.....

all us guys started running around marking our territory. Hahahahahaha
is that to be translated into .."we havin' a pissin' contest"..?? :p hee hee

sorry for getting 'sidetracked' sanchez..
"I" would rely on trainingg and pruneing to control the growth for you, rather than try it through root restriction. Forceing the roots to remain enclosed in a small pot could cause other problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back