Bushy vs. Height

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stickyfingers

Reaction score
I have been looking at a lot of pictures on the net of various plants and have noticed that most grow straight up very tall before they begin secondary branching. I am growing my first batch and all of my plants are as big at the bottom from secondary branching as they are tall.

I utilized some good grow soil, fertilizer for the roots, and some spray on fertilizer - all from a local hydro store. Any idea which of these is contributing to the bushiness?

Will this help or hinder me in yield?

Thanks Stoney Bud. I had heard that, but I didn't top them at all.

They didn't bush out from the top like if you had topped them, but began growing secondary branches very fast. They have grown out secondary branches only a single node below the top of the plant the whole time they have been growing and they are all 7-12" tall. I have seen plants 3'tall that have not put out any secondary branches. They just bushed out on their own.

I am curious why they did it and if it is desirable or not.

stickyfingers said:
Thanks Stoney Bud. I had heard that, but I didn't top them at all.

They didn't bush out from the top like if you had topped them, but began growing secondary branches very fast. They have grown out secondary branches only a single node below the top of the plant the whole time they have been growing and they are all 7-12" tall. I have seen plants 3'tall that have not put out any secondary branches. They just bushed out on their own.

I am curious why they did it and if it is desirable or not.

Sure, side branching is a good thing. Each side branch will have a nice fat kola on it after flowering. Some strains branch better than others. Nutrients and light also have a lot to do with it.

At only 7 to 12 inches tall, you can still do topping if you wish, as long as the plants are still in the vegetative state.

Good luck man!

Latest posts

Back